Turbo 383 stroker notch build

RussZTT

Established Member
Question. That block appears to be a normal 2 bolt block, not a 4 bolt main? If that is the case, I have never heard of a 2 bolt able to handle 1,500.

selbyvince

Established Member
Question. That block appears to be a normal 2 bolt block, not a 4 bolt main? If that is the case, I have never heard of a 2 bolt able to handle 1,500.

Its a Sportsman R A-351. Do some reading on it, maybe you will find some better info than I did. Like i said above, Ive never found an exact answer but people are taking them in the low 1k range. Some people say they are good to 600, some say 800, some say over 1k. So I have no idea, I haven't run across one that's been blown up. Im sure there is one out there though. So all I can do is trust the shop that I paid $2k dollars to assemble it. My motor lived most of its life at 900 hp with a YSI. I was told it would handle around 1200 with the turbo im using. I don't intend to go that high with it, so It really doesn't matter to me that much.

Also points to consider: the 351W Ford's have main caps that are about 50% thicker than a Chevy, the 2 bolts they have are huge 1/2" bolts, not little 7/16" bolts the Chevy's use. And for extra insurance, I purchased a main girdle as well.

selbyvince

Established Member
Still saving up the last of the money i need to get my slab poured in front of my shop. But I was able to put in some extra days at work and went ahead and ordered my roller rockers and stud girdles. :)

I went with the Comp Ultra pro magnum 1.6 roller rockers : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1832-16
And the Comp 4014 stud girdles : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4014

Just need to order the heads. Itching to get the heads ordered, but like having my credit card paid off too much. Will continue to save up

selbyvince

Established Member
Few updates; I received my rockers and stud girdles. That's the last of what I was needing other then heads. Ill be ordering them at some point, I have a lot I need to do before the motor gets in anyway. I picked up a new car trailer so Ill be able to move this thing around. Got the rest of the exhaust out and moved her over to a buddies. Got the front clip removed and he will be starting on the scottrod panels this weekend. Once I get those installed the car will be headed over to Ricks to get a hydro boost brake system installed. Then to Black Mamba Speed to get the cage installed, mini tubs, and do some work on the rear end. (coil overs, brackes, weld the tubes etc.) Hopefully ill have the motor together by the time it gets back for some test fitting.

selbyvince

Established Member
Have a 3 core radiator and dual electric fan wiring harness on the way. Slowly getting some stuff accomplished with the car.

selbyvince

Established Member
If anybody is interested in the billet specialties wheels, shoot me a pm. Also have a MSD 6-al w/ 2 step im not going to be needing.

selbyvince

Established Member
More parts ordered

-Wild Rides 8.8 brace kit
-Team z mini tubs
-Team z coilover crossmember, lower shock mounts
-Team z offset lower control arms, double adjustable
-Strange double adjustable coil overs w/ custom valving

9" housing ends came in yesterday, rear end about to get shortened, braced, 3.73s replaced with 3.08s, and convert over to coil overs.

Still waiting on my quote for the Baer SS4+ Rear disk brake kit. But that's the kit that will be ordered for the back.

Billet specialties are sold and gone, after I get the rear end back in place ill take necessary measurements and order new wheels. Looking at the weld RT-S S71 wheels. 17/8 up front and 17x12 or 12.5 rears w/ 345/40/17 toyo proxes. This will be the street setup.

selbyvince

Established Member
Looks awesome so far

:beer:

Been slacking on my updates, not a whole lot of progress made over the last month. Bought a bullitt to daily around from time to time and keep a few miles off my truck, but after getting it, it all went to hell and everything imaginable broke at once. So its been eating up a lot of my spare time. Finally got it back where it needs to be so hopefully will have some better progress over the next few weeks.

The rear end i pulled out of the car was junk, had some oval wear patterns and a lot of pitting. So that one got scrapped. I picked up a good rear end locally out of another foxbody. It has been shortened 2" on each side, almost ready to take measurements for axles. Will be ordering 35 spline strange axles and a spool. (sold the locker).

I ordered the rear Baer SS4+ brakes and they came in yesterday, but wasnt able to pick them up before closing, so i should have them in my hands on Monday.

The mini tubs are assembled and ready to start installing on the car, going to try and have this done before i get the rear end back. That way i can put the rear end in and take measurements for the rear wheels. I ordered all my tires this week. 345/40/17 TOYO TQ for the rears, and 255/40/17 TOYO R1R for the front. Rear tires came in yesterday, fronts will be here on Tuesday. Going with the Weld RT-S S71 wheels (17x12 rear and 17x8 front). Still need to order the front SS4+ brakes to finish off suspension.

After welding in all the scott rod panesl, im happy with how it turned out but want to shave all the little holes that the fenders wont cover on the top. So going to continue with that, and going to look into what it would take to get rid of the firewall pinch mold piece.

On to the pics:
As she sits now

Cleaning up and going to pain the trans

My buddy cleaning up some welds

Strange double adjustable s5005 coil overs / small tire valved / 130 lb springs

Team Z coilover kit w/ double adjustable offset lower control arms

Mini tubs

Rear tires 345/40/17 Toyo TQ

selbyvince

Established Member
Man I'm liking those 345s

Yeah i cant wait to get them on some wheels and under the car lol. I appreciate it man, i follow you as well. Once i get all this fab work done and back to a roller the rest of the car should come together a lot quicker. Im hoping anyway

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Yeah i cant wait to get them on some wheels and under the car lol. I appreciate it man, i follow you as well. Once i get all this fab work done and back to a roller the rest of the car should come together a lot quicker. Im hoping anyway
Going to be one mean little ride when it's done bud. If your on the east coast I'd like to see it run one day

selbyvince

Established Member
Front tires arrived, 255/40/17 toyo R1R's. Will be paried with the 345/40/17 TOYO Proxes TQ rears

Rear brakes :2thumbs: Baer SS4+ W/ 11" rotors so i can still run a 15" wheel (will be ordering the same brakes for the front when i get finished with the back half of the car

Got most of the cutting done to fit the mini tubs

Test fitting the rear end to get measurements for the coil over brackets. Rear end has been shortened 2" on each side w/ 9" housing ends. Jigged up so we could get the rest of the welding done on it.

Coil-over bar welded in place

More measurements to completed coil-over brackets

Welding complete, last test fit

After a little bit of paint

Lastly, i started on the body work although we still have some welding to do. Still have a long way to go under the hood. Trying to accomplish too many projects at once, but we are making progress.

My Moser 35 spline spool, custom axles, 3" 5/8s studs, and bearings will be here tomorrow. So ill be able to get the rear end assembled and hopefully under the car for the final time when i get back in from offshore. Although it is hunting season, going to try and get in as much work as possible.

selbyvince

Established Member
Awesome build man. I know how it feels to have this many pieces to the puzzle going on. What kind of radiator is that and do you have a link?

Thanks man, yeah when your working on 3-4 things at one time your really having fun lol.

The radiator is a Champion CC138 and the electric fans w/ shroud is a Derale 16833. I also bought the champion CCFKRL relay harness for the fans.

Radiator specs:
Core Height is 18 inches

Core Width is 24-1/2 inches

Overall Height is 19-1/4 inches

Overall Width is 29-1/3 inches

Upper Inlet is 1-1/4 inches

Lower Outlet is 1-1/2 inches

Trans Cooler Details are 1/8-27 NPT

Mounting Type is Saddle

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread