Turbo 4.0 or N/A 3v?

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm looking for some opinions from others on this board. Please, don't say coyote swap...I've already thought about that and it is simply more money than what I want to spend on this car. I will not trade it in for a GT either as there is way too much time and money into the suspension and adding all the little touches to the car that I like. I would like to keep it between these two options here, thanks guys. Also the whole 'cause America V8 doesn't really mean much to me in making this decision.

The car in question: 2006 4.0 with just under 69k miles on it. Has been in the family since brand new as I bought it from a relative who took pretty good care of it (basically went to the dealer at the scheduled intervals). Got it in August of 2012 completely stock with 48k miles.

Now has a bunch of suspension things that really make it an awesome handling car for what it is. Bilstein's, camber plates, BMR Watts, adjustable arms, big sway bars, H&R springs, etc. Also have an 8.8 sitting here that is going in within the next two weeks no matter what happens with the drivetrain.

I don't drag race much, as that is what the Shelby is used for, although I would take either setup once or twice just to see what it could do. Main usage is driving around daily and terrorizing back roads, 3 or so road course events, and 1 or 2 hill climbs. Maybe 1 or 2 AutoX events but that is TBD.

Option A: Powerhouse turbo kit from a member on here, along with an adapter plate and some other small things. Basically it would be a 4.0 with upgraded valve springs, the turbo kit, and a TR-6060 behind it. Wouldn't do anything crazy with boost levels, probably keep it at 8 psi most of the time and bump it up to 10-12 for special occasions. Without a doubt it would make more power then a bolt on 3v.

Option B: 2005 3v motor with 19k miles and ecu/wiring. Comes with a stock clutch hanging onto the back of it. It would probably end up with the same 6060 onto the back of it with a different clutch of course. This motor will NOT ever seen forced induction. Most "radical" mod it would see would be cams. I'm sure with the basic intake, exhaust, tuning it could get close to 300 whp which is certainly more than what I have now but nowhere near what the turbo setup would make.

Now where it gets tricky...
-Turbo setup undoubtably makes more power as it would be easy 350 whp and up depending on what I want to do with boost.
-Turbo setup will also be a little more expensive overall, but within the budget.
-3v swap will have a broader power band, which is better for road course use.
-3v swap would stay in the car when it comes time to sell it where as the turbo kit would be removed at that time.

I know N/A is definitely preferred for road racing, but it's not like this is a dedicated AI car that sees the track every weekend. And then it's probably the last thing to think about, but the turbo setup should get a little better highway mileage as I do travel on the highway each day.

Aaaaaand discuss!

nxhappy

Established Member
twin turbo would be pretty bad ass....but more work. Maybe a supercharger ?

Speedboosted

Established Member
twin turbo would be pretty bad ass....but more work. Maybe a supercharger ?

No TT kits, and it's not really necessary. The PH kit has very little lag and can pop the motor if desired. I thought about a paxton/vortech but they just don't make any power on this motor. A turbo will make 400 whp at 11 pounds, the centri blowers make 330 at 11 pounds.

Speedboosted

Established Member
sounds like you already made your decision lol

Well, as for what power adder yes. But there still is the whole thing about the broader powerband and higher revs that the 3v can do. Not to mention the sound, although a turbo sounds nice as well.

GT915

Established Member
I want a car that makes me smile every time I fire it up. A cammed V8 would do that, whereas a car that sounds like a fart would not. Also consider the fact that the 3v has 1/3 of the mileage that the sick cylinder does. Why would you put a power adder on the six but not the eight? A boosted three valve would be a riot to drive. I guess I'm showing my age because I can't believe this is even a choice. I wish you luck and hope you'll keep this updated.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I want a car that makes me smile every time I fire it up. A cammed V8 would do that, whereas a car that sounds like a fart would not. Also consider the fact that the 3v has 1/3 of the mileage that the sick cylinder does. Why would you put a power adder on the six but not the eight? A boosted three valve would be a riot to drive. I guess I'm showing my age because I can't believe this is even a choice. I wish you luck and hope you'll keep this updated.

Because boost costs money, and I don't want to spend money on swapping a new motor in and then boosting it. I'm trying to look at it from a performance standpoint, while it seems like others are from a perception standpoint and I get that, but it's not what I asked for. I'm not craving that fancy V8 sound, already have that. Want performance

4a7191a

Established Member
Not a huge fan of either motor but I'd go with the 3v with bolt ons. It'll be more reliable if close to stock for the abuse road race has to offer IMO.

DarkMach1

Established Member
From a performance standpoint, neither. Sell it and buy something fun with better performance and more room.

Speedboosted

Established Member
3v swap. When you sell it, some kid will love being able to pick it up and insure it as a v6.

Didn't think about that. What would the resale value on that be? I would assume not quite the full price of a GT since it isn't a true GT, but it would have literally everything there.

Consensus seems to be 3v (as expected). One thing that was mentioned and I didn't really think about was that a bolt on 3v probably going to be more reliable during road racing abuse then a boosted stock motor, even thought they are very strong. Plus it should be more consistent over the course of a 25 minute session because of no heat soak, but a turbo doesn't heat soak nearly as bad as a blower will right?

And I hear you guys on neither being "worth it", but I disagree. It isn't becoming some massive AI car, just something that is a little bit more fun/capable on the road course and driving around in. Neither will obviously ever touch the Shelby for what I want to be doing.

Speedboosted

Established Member
This. What little info is available on the turbo kit, seems it's going to run $6k+. Trying to do a budget build and say a 5.0 is too much, is confusing when they can be had pretty cheap now.

A truck coyote is $2500-3000 (don't want some high mileage junk) plus the computer and other wiring which will be another $1500. Plus then there is the issue with the power steering. It's much more then a turbo or 3v swap...what are those rated at, 365 flywheel?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
A truck coyote is $2500-3000 (don't want some high mileage junk) plus the computer and other wiring which will be another $1500. Plus then there is the issue with the power steering. It's much more then a turbo or 3v swap...what are those rated at, 365 flywheel?

Go whatever route you like, but maxing out the 4.0 with a turbo kit from a company that doesn't even have a functional site isn't exactly confidence inspiring. The 5.0 will give you a lot more room to grow for relatively the same price. Plus the truck 5.0 is .5 lower compression which is helpful if you want to throw a power adder on top of it.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Go whatever route you like, but maxing out the 4.0 with a turbo kit from a company that doesn't even have a functional site isn't exactly confidence inspiring. The 5.0 will give you a lot more room to grow for relatively the same price. Plus the truck 5.0 is .5 lower compression which is helpful if you want to throw a power adder on top of it.

The PH website is very annoying, no disagreeing there. Boosting a motor and expecting it to live a long time is a poor idea, I realize that. Leaning towards the 3v at this point- it's $2000, has 19k miles and comes with all accessories and the pcm. That's pretty hard to beat from what I've found. I priced out some LQK truck motors through my work and the best price was $2700 with around 40k miles. Plus the pcm stuff. Just doesn't feasible for me at this point. If the budget was higher, I'd definitely go that route without a doubt

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If your budget is 2k, then do not mess with any of the options presented. Spend it on good brake pads, tires, and DE/Track days.

Users who are viewing this thread