Turbo 4.0 or N/A 3v?

Dusten

Established Member
I can't fathom spending turbo money for only 350rwhp. I would go 3v, in that it allows you more to grow if you choose to later.

Resale on a modded, track'd, v8 swapped V6 is going to be shit. Just being honest.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
4.0L + turbo. Check out super six motorsports. They have been boosting the mini winny(mini windsor) for years and have quite a few stock block 400+whp turbo builds that have been completed. They sell cams, heads, short blocks, long blocks and everything in between. Give them a call and see what they say about making 350whp.

The 3 valve is....well.....a 3 valve. Unless you pour money into it, its just another boat anchor. 350-400whp would take heads, cams , intake manifold and full bolt ons. This all coming from a former 3 valve guy who had all the H/C/I crap and only could muster 360whp off nitrous.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Its your money, so by all means spend it how you want. But I just cannot see any worthwhile benefit to the options here. If you just want more HP for street shenanigans, then add nitrous and call it a day. Otherwise spend that 2 grand on MORE tires and brakes until you can drive that thing 9/10ths on a course. If you cant get to a course often enough to do that, then either path is pointless and i'd say nitrous again.

Spend the money on the Shelby.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Its your money, so by all means spend it how you want. But I just cannot see any worthwhile benefit to the options here. If you just want more HP for street shenanigans, then add nitrous and call it a day. Otherwise spend that 2 grand on MORE tires and brakes until you can drive that thing 9/10ths on a course. If you cant get to a course often enough to do that, then either path is pointless and i'd say nitrous again.

Spend the money on the Shelby.

This is a good point. Problem is I want more power for road course fun as well which nitrous certainly wouldn't work. I'm not claiming I the Stig, but I had a friend go out in the car who is a great driver and has been doing this much much longer than I have and he didn't go much faster (1-2 seconds). It corners very well, just has zero speed on the straights. It's pretty much tapped out where it is now in my opinion

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
What about a 3.7L swap out of a newer Mustang? Its 305hp and lighter than the 3 valve plus much cheaper at junkyards since they are more abundant.

Just to be different?

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
No...if I'm going to go through with a motor swap it's going to be a v8. I thought about a 3.7 swap a few months ago when a compete drivetrain with wiring popped up locally on CL but it just didn't seem like something that was useful. Plus V8 torque

Users who are viewing this thread