Turbo cobra values

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
So I have an 04 3.4 Whipple car, and I really like this car the way it is. I got back into drag racing and all though I built the car to handle the strip I just don't want to tear it up.

So I thought I'd build a turbo auto car for the track but after figuring up what it would cost to build it looks like it's gonna be way cheaper to buy one.

My question is the pricing on a turbo car comparable to what my twin screw is worth or are they higher.

Example: An Eaton car with mid 20k miles minimal mods will bring somewhere around $22k. Same car tastefully modified twin screw with supporting mods might bring $2 or 3k more.

Just trying to gauge the market any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I find slapped together turbo cars with problems sell for mid 20's. Well built drag cars that have been well thought out go for mid 30's. People don't understand the difference between the two, buy the 25k car and blow it up in 6 months. When my car is finished I won't sell it for a dime under 35k. I have more in the GT heads alone than most people have in their entire car.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
My 3.4 car is going up for sale at 22k. But it has higher miles and a stock longblock. For reference a turbo car would sell for the same or less depending on how half assed it was put together with the same miles.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I find slapped together turbo cars with problems sell for mid 20's. Well built drag cars that have been well thought out go for mid 30's. People don't understand the difference between the two, buy the 25k car and blow it up in 6 months. When my car is finished I won't sell it for a dime under 35k. I have more in the GT heads alone than most people have in their entire car.

I agree with you, does mileage come into play on these cars like a twin screw?

I found a local car all built by HPP in Dallas, stroker motor aluminum block, twin 62mm turbos, built th400 with a brake, 2 step on E85. The car is 9 on the outside interior is a little rougher prolly a 7. He has receipts for everything, car doesn't have a cage and still has a built IRS with the level 5 half shafts. It has 65k on the clock and hasn't really been driven much the last 3 years. Has a rear end collision a few years back. $30k

Motor was built in 08, trans 2013, I'm guessing but under 10k miles on the motor. It just seemed high to me am I wrong? I found a TT car in the market with 6k miles for $32k I don't remember all the ends and outs to that car. I'm just trying to make sense of the pricing.

I prolly should just build my own car, more money but at least you know what you have.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Like nightmare mentioned, you will find slapped together cars with higher miles go for mid 20s, which you will probably inherit a bunch of problems. People gawk over them because they are like "OMG A TURBO CAR OMG" but when you see the car in person its hacked to crap but looks good in pictures.

A good clean turbo car, put together right will fetch in the mid 30s. I have been seeing alot pop up that say "needs a tune" anything that says that. RUN.

If you are interested in a project I am selling my roller and have everything needed to make it run as well. It is just not put together. It was a turbo car. I started a new engine build and decided to sell everything. Its a 39k mile, no accident Silver Coupe. Mint interior, Auto, SRA. No salvage title or any of that stuff. If you are interested PM me.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Also it is very very hard to gauge pricing on these cars. Obviously it is very expensive to do it right. Some people slap a $2500 on3 turbo kit on their car and think they have gold. I bought my Coupe new in 2003, turned it into a SRA, Auto Turbo car. I sold it in 2011 and bought it back this year. I had a good $40k+ into the car on top of the $31k I paid for it new. Sold it for mid 30s then. My new engine build alone is about $10k just for parts. ( I do my own labor) Then I had plans on changing my whole turbo setup, smoothed engine panels and paint, hiding all wiring and PS lines, new cooling stuff, intake etc etc. Possible standalone. So that is another $20k right there. To build one right can get very expensive fast.

lilsilverponey

Established Member
My 3.4 car is going up for sale at 22k. But it has higher miles and a stock longblock. For reference a turbo car would sell for the same or less depending on how half assed it was put together with the same miles.

Doubt this is true. It takes WAY more effort and money to run a turbo platform vs a positive displacement platform.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Doubt this is true. It takes WAY more effort and money to run a turbo platform vs a positive displacement platform.

I agree. A properly built and proven turbo cobra would be way higher than 22k. lol

I agree with you guys, I just don't think there is enough out there to gauge the market like the twin screw cars

Wches

Established Member
Paid 31 for my Turbo 03 with 25k miles and only 4K of those on the build. Worth every penny!

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I agree with you, does mileage come into play on these cars like a twin screw?

I found a local car all built by HPP in Dallas, stroker motor aluminum block, twin 62mm turbos, built th400 with a brake, 2 step on E85. The car is 9 on the outside interior is a little rougher prolly a 7. He has receipts for everything, car doesn't have a cage and still has a built IRS with the level 5 half shafts. It has 65k on the clock and hasn't really been driven much the last 3 years. Has a rear end collision a few years back. $30k

Motor was built in 08, trans 2013, I'm guessing but under 10k miles on the motor. It just seemed high to me am I wrong? I found a TT car in the market with 6k miles for $32k I don't remember all the ends and outs to that car. I'm just trying to make sense of the pricing.

I prolly should just build my own car, more money but at least you know what you have.

The car built by HPP happen to be Derek's DSG car? Sure does sound like it. Assuming you are Chris from Lubbock?

I may be persuaded to sell my turbo car.

stangfreak

Established Member
Like nightmare mentioned, you will find slapped together cars with higher miles go for mid 20s, which you will probably inherit a bunch of problems. People gawk over them because they are like "OMG A TURBO CAR OMG" but when you see the car in person its hacked to crap but looks good in pictures.

A good clean turbo car, put together right will fetch in the mid 30s. I have been seeing alot pop up that say "needs a tune" anything that says that. RUN.

If you are interested in a project I am selling my roller and have everything needed to make it run as well. It is just not put together. It was a turbo car. I started a new engine build and decided to sell everything. Its a 39k mile, no accident Silver Coupe. Mint interior, Auto, SRA. No salvage title or any of that stuff. If you are interested PM me.

your selling the car again??

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm going to go turbo on my car, but I believe (as stated above) turbo cars sell for much higher prices than blower cars. For a few reasons : The OMG turbo factor, the work involved to swap over to turbo, and the fun factor.

Besides, everyone wants turbos ;-)

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
your selling the car again??

I have the roller for sale. I tore it down. I started building a new engine and was going to make a bunch of other changes and lost interest. So it has just been sitting in my shop apart. I have everyhting to put it back together. Just lost the drive.

However, I have been getting so many low ball offers I may just keep it, its a joke. People see $7000 rollers with 100k miles on them that need paint, rusted, accidents, salvage titles you name it and think they can offer me that for a mint 39k roller with a $7000 trans setup, cage, perfect interior, fully built SRA suspension etc etc. Its laughable.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
The car built by HPP happen to be Derek's DSG car? Sure does sound like it. Assuming you are Chris from Lubbock?

I may be persuaded to sell my turbo car.

Yes its Derek's car, sorry haven't been on in a while and this is Kris from Lubbock....

I just haven't figured out who you are yet, and what turbo car you have. I'm thinking at the moment I'll just keep my car the way it is for street duty and buy a roller with a cage. Then I could have a real race car, don't think I have the funds to build a race car from the ground up.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Yes its Derek's car, sorry haven't been on it a while and this is Kris from Lubbock....

I just haven't figured out who you are yet, and what turbo car you have. I'm thinking at the moment I'll just keep my car the way it is for street duty and buy a roller with a cage. Then I could have a real race car, don't think I have the funds to build a race car from the ground up.

I have a roller with a cage and auto for sale. Its posted on this site. Search my name

ctgreddy

Established Member
Finding one that's built right and proven you're gonna be paying for it. Look at this car for example, It's built right and has ran high 8's a few times. Only drawback is stock longblock imo. But everything else is there.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...3-2003-SB-Cobra-1000-rwhp-8-Second-street-car

I would never want to buy a pre built car unless I knew the history 100%(as in I knew the person well who built it). There's too many variables buying a big project/race car like that. That said, you can find good ones out there for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread