Turbo oil line restrictors/scavenge pump

dilireus

Established Member
I'm in the process of putting an HP Performance twin 57mm turbo system on my car and have read about the drainback problems a number of people are having with this system. I'm thinking I want to go ahead and at least get restrictors. How do you know what size to use? Will it hurt the turbo seals if there is any blowby at all (even for just a few minutes), or should I go ahead and just install a scavenge pump?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You bought a $7000 turbo kit. Don't skimp on the oil system since it'll make or break the turbo life. Get the pump right away and make sure it is plumbed correctly. Another local guy had to get his turbo's rebuilt on the HP kit because of oil drainback problems. He now has a scavenge pump.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Just get the pump. Restrictors didn't work for me. Don't risk it. Precision Turbo told me that they see alot of turbos in for re-builds because of restrictors. Unless it is a BB turbo, the oil helps cool the turbo.

dilireus

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with this one from TurboWerx?

7ff5_2.JPG

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
That one looks like it will work. I run restrictors and two tilton scavenge pumps (one for each side). Works great on the car, no problems whatsoever. It is a little excessive but it works so I'm going with it.

geeteego

What???
Established Member
With my STS, I ended up using an inline restrictor going to the turbo due to a ported oil pump supplying way too much oil for the scavenge pump to handle well. I ended up using an .080 nitrous jet inline to the turbo and will now be stepping down to an .063 or .059 seeing as I still have a little puff of smoke when I let off or shift.

Oil getting past the seals is a bad thing. It will wreck the turbo for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread