Turbo or blower? stock motor

01ssnake

Established Member
I hear these engines with the non forged pistons and rods aren’t happy with FI.
I heard from a few people that going turbo over supercharger puts less strain on the internals. Would this be true? Anyone running lower boost on turbos and these motors hold up ok?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the less stress might be on the crank since it's not turning a belt for the turbo. There's still going to be stress from the pressure from the boost.

The centri set up will be the easiest kit to install. Keep the boost down and tune conservative. Of course this if the engine comes back healthy from a leak down or compression test.

01ssnake

Established Member
The crank is already forged so your right , prob best bet is going centri going with conservative tuning

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, I had a lot of fun with the centri on my 01. Plus the looks I got as I was driving with an open BOV was awesome.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The WAP block will handle the power 99.9% of us make. The only things he needs to worry about are the rods and pistons.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
boost is misleading number to use as a guideline. 450-500 rwhp through the manual trans seems pretty standard though.

the turbo being "easier" stems from two things I think - as mentioned, no added belt tension on the crank but since you aren't using the engine to turn the blower you can usually net the same rwhp with a little less boost.

A turbo kit is definitely more involved to install and you're going to have to use the suspension components the kit was designed for - ie brand X K-member, might need coil overs etc... for clearance reasons.

If you ultimately plan to leave it in that 450-500 range, I agree with slipping on a centri with a good tune and call it done. Just get good fuel and don't beat it like a rented mule

01vert

Established Member
Procharger kit was relatively easy. Take the upper off and take your time. Took me a weekend and that included a couple pauses for grabbing parts as I bought a used kit. Probably the cheapest way to go if you buy a used kit when factoring in install and needing a tubular k member if going turbo.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
boost is misleading number to use as a guideline. 450-500 rwhp through the manual trans seems pretty standard though.

the turbo being "easier" stems from two things I think - as mentioned, no added belt tension on the crank but since you aren't using the engine to turn the blower you can usually net the same rwhp with a little less boost.

A turbo kit is definitely more involved to install and you're going to have to use the suspension components the kit was designed for - ie brand X K-member, might need coil overs etc... for clearance reasons.

If you ultimately plan to leave it in that 450-500 range, I agree with slipping on a centri with a good tune and call it done. Just get good fuel and don't beat it like a rented mule

+1 turbos are easy-er on the engine since there is less parasitic loss. There is RWHP, crank power but also what the actual cylinder pressure to achieve that. Also unlike a PD blower it's ramps in a little and isn't vacuum to full boost instantly. But that's also the fun part.

I agree with your goals a turbo kit would be the best but $$$. Since there seems to be a budget involved, centri FTW

I love my high compression small TVS setup but it is not nice on the engine or tires or...anything. Especially when you dicking around and have to peddle with the non linear cam profile on the GT500 TB hard to be gentle and not go from 100% to 25% back to 100% when 75% was what you're looking for. It's a blast though just a hand full on the street.

Also IMHO E85 saves engines if you have access. All a balance act. E85 reasonable boost and a good timing ramp and treat her like a lady, not a stripper with daddy problems.

Last edited:

01ssnake

Established Member
+1 turbos are easy-er on the engine since there is less parasitic loss. There is RWHP, crank power but also what the actual cylinder pressure to achieve that. Also unlike a PD blower it's ramps in a little and isn't vacuum to full boost instantly. But that's also the fun part.

I agree with your goals a turbo kit would be the best but $$$. Since there seems to be a budget involved, centri FTW

I love my high compression small TVS setup but it is not nice on the engine or tires or...anything. Especially when you dicking around and have to peddle with the non linear cam profile on the GT500 TB hard to be gentle and not go from 100% to 25% back to 100% when 75% was what you're looking for. It's a blast though just a hand full on the street.

Also IMHO E85 saves engines if you have access. All a balance act. E85 reasonable boost and a good timing ramp and treat her like a lady, not a stripper with daddy problems.

What fuel system upgrades like pump and injectors should I run for a centri like Vortech or procharger?

01yellercobra

Established Member
What fuel system upgrades like pump and injectors should I run for a centri like Vortech or procharger?
I ran dual old school GT pumps with 80lb injectors on my set ups. It was good until I went to the F1A. That was with a big bore stroker too.

01ssnake

Established Member
I ran dual old school GT pumps with 80lb injectors on my set ups. It was good until I went to the F1A. That was with a big bore stroker too.

You think I could get away with a single Walbro 255 ? My stock fuel pump just actually went bad so I’m trying to put something in that will prepare me for the blower eventually

Users who are viewing this thread