Turbo really better?

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
Just to give you an idea of IAT, I can drive for about 45 minutes straight, getting into boost quite a bit, and then pop the hood and grab the inlet tubing and it isn't even close to too hot for touch. My intercooler is quite a bit larger than the ones that come in the kits, but I would imagine similar results can be seen on most turbo kits.

Almo

Established Member
Two words for you guys!!!

Eaton Power!! :p

eaton1.jpg

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I can do back to back pulls over and over with the twins spooled up to 22 psi and my IAT's BARELY get over 100 degrees. I've put the car into limp mode after 2 or 3 pulls with the blower.

That's crazy. I wouldn't like it if my car limped. To tell you the truth, I have never experienced this said limp mode, so I wouldn't know about it. I can imagine some timing would be pulled back. I dug around a little bit on turbo Cobras, and saw some of your pictures. Wow, what a beautiful TT engine you have! I bet it is perfect for some of the open country roads you probably have in your state. I can believe it does run as hard as if not harder than some of the sportbikes which is a whole other league in itself. Do you happen to have any videos of highway roll on races against sportbikes?

Why is there not an aftermarket intercooler piece for the supercharged Cobras? I know people say the factory piece is already very efficent as is, however how can a bigger one hurt? Wouldn't it help with the higher IAT's found on twin screw Cobras verus Turbo Cobras? I guess that's a different topic where I should do a search about or to start a thread on.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member

:lol: I agree.
:shrug:

I still stand on what I said. Cheap money and Turbo should not belong in the same sentence. I would still go with a twin screw if the budget for upgrades was more of a concern than going all out. Apparently most if not all turbo Cobras cost $15k or upwards to be done correctly if you don't already have all the parts. Then there will probably be more kinks to work out than a twin screw in the end. You can slap on a 13psi Whipple for $3k-$3.5k and call it a day for the starters unlike any of the turbo kits on market while your built short block money sit in an interest bearing account and grow in meantime.

For my application, a twin screw will probably win, as I live in possibly the most densest county in Florida where there are not many free ways but hundreds of stop lights seemingly every quarter mile or so. The cost, instant boost, and torque will be more than enough for that type of around the town driving. There is already almost no room to run it hard as it is from the factory.

If this guy want to road race, and have that kind of an open check book, then by all means go all out with a turbo kit. Per you guys, the IATs would be much cooler after doing some laps, and he wouldn't have to fight with the mode where it limps when hot. I find it very interesting that your IATs stay much cooler than the supercharged cars. I should start a new thread on this topic, why there are no aftermarket intercoolers for the supercharged Cobras, even though the factory piece is as effective as said to be. Why can't a larger custom made intercooler be more effective than the factory piece?

Last edited by a moderator:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Because there is not enough room in the intake under the blower for a larger intercooler!

And before someone says Mihovits put the bigger Ford GT intercooler in, he also said for the amount of work involved to do so produced negligable gains!

I say Fu<K it......do both....The Twin Turbo'd Twin Screwed Terminators are here and about to light some asses up!

Ken

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Because there is not enough room in the intake under the blower for a larger intercooler!

And before someone says Mihovits put the bigger Ford GT intercooler in, he also said for the amount of work involved to do so produced negligable gains!

I say Fu<K it......do both....The Twin Turbo'd Twin Screwed Terminators are here and about to light some asses up!

Ken

That, I understand, however what I can not understand is why the intercooler has to be limited to that area only and not expandable outside else where? Would it still produce the same or better results with the biggest twin screw available today? When did he attempt the GT intercooler modification? I would like to read up on it if I can find the information.

Now, someone earlier in the thread posted the new Hellion Hellraiser TT kit, and it is very interesting. Probably all the low torque still there, with more power on top. What I found hard to believe is how a stock block 1100-1200rwhp engine pushing 45+ psi at manifold can live. There are definitely some very creative people out there. This kit should rock for sure! I would think a straight turbo Cobra can push 1100rwhp on its own without the supercharger, but I bet the trade off is all that torque down low.

Yellow cobra

Established Member
turbo is priced the duble then blower and the diffrence is 40 -60 hp, i thing is not worth if i have KB or Whipple.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Tubos that don't do things south are Illegal in California
A KB is 50 state legal. They have a CARB #.
Jeff

Last edited:

snakecharmer

Established Member
I've never had a roots type blower (though I've driven several), but I have had the 97 supercharged in 3 different combinations (two with a S-Trim, one with a T-trim) before moving to its current hellion set up.

If I ever modify another Mustang from factory specs there is personally no way I would NOT do a turbo setup over a supercharger of any type. Ignoring the whole which one is more reliable and which one will last longer argument (that you'll never get concensus on), I speak only from experience. My turbo setup has infinitely better driveability, it uses less fuel, the entire engine runs loads more smoothly under all conditions, and the biggest bonus for me is the ability to adjust the boost according to both mood and what I'm doing. The whole lag business is overstated. It's easily driven around and to me not even worth mentioning.

If I had to sum it up simply it is this. My turbo set can easily be a daily driver. Since going that route, I've driven the car to work several times which is something I never did with the old supercharger setups because the car was too tempermental and prone to overheating in traffic. I have no such issues now. Probably the biggest thing I do NOT miss is the racket of the centrificals. It's grating after a while. I don't especially care for the whine of an Eaton either, and the KB's positively get on my nerves. So for me the cost has been well worth as I actually LIKE the car again, which I would not have said a couple of years ago.

TRBO VNM

So for me the cost has been well worth as I actually LIKE the car again, which I would not have said a couple of years ago.

And this was my biggest concern with you. I knew how much you loved that car when you got it and loved seeing in progress, but once you were thinking about selling it because of the setup, I knew something had to change. I can't see someone else (other than me, :D) owning that car. very glad you are happy with it again.

danny03cobra

Established Member
only thing i would say, if your car is a daily driver i would stay with a twin screw. i had the hellion kit and spoke with almost ALL of the guys on here and they all had some type of problem with it. You have to re-learn how to drive the car and in this CAli traffic its not worth the stress. Hellion does not pay my bills so i have no reason to show favoritism, the quality of the kit is second to none, but there are a lot of driveability issues with it. a lot of you guys have switched to an auto and seemed to help out with stalling.and i know it wasn't a tune problem because i had the 2 of the best tuners work on it.
just my experience with the kit.

TRBO VNM

only thing i would say, if your car is a daily driver i would stay with a twin screw. i had the hellion kit and spoke with almost ALL of the guys on here and they all had some type of problem with it. You have to re-learn how to drive the car and in this CAli traffic its not worth the stress. Hellion does not pay my bills so i have no reason to show favoritism, the quality of the kit is second to none, but there are a lot of driveability issues with it. a lot of you guys have switched to an auto and seemed to help out with stalling.and i know it wasn't a tune problem because i had the 2 of the best tuners work on it.

part of your problem was you couldn't get the car to a tuner so they could get their hands on the car and duplicate the issue and make adjustments. every car is different and reacts differently to mods and tune changes. you can't just bolt these kits on and expect it to drive like stock. you are changing everything around from suspension to intake and power adder. some cars tune perfect without issue and others require more attention. for example grey03cobra appears it was a MAF rotation thing, time will tell. something as simple as that could fix it. funny you say everyone on here had issues. not one was posted or even metioned to me or I would have done something to help. apparently they weren't really major issues at all if nobody complained about them.

you may have had driveability issues, but there are many more out there with hellion and other kits without driveability issues. hellion and other kits can be daily drivers without issue. mine was on my 04 and now this one on my 03 could be a daily if I didn't have a beater to drive around.

unfortunately your car required more hands on tuning that apparently you couldn't get where you live from my understanding from you and if you can't get what a tuner needs via logging properly, there isn't much they can do for you.

I would agree after everything, for you, a twin screw may suit you better.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

What do you mean there are ALOT of driveability issues? 1 stalling issue is alot?

You do not need to learn how to drive the car all over again with a Hellion kit because of driveability issues. You PMed me numerous times on the issue. There is a recent post here from grey03cobra that he fixed his stalling issues by clocking the MAF. Have you tried this? I know I mentioned this to you countless times in PMs when you asked about your issues but you never said if you did this or not. Give it a shot and pull the MAF out of the coupler as much as you can. But now with all the tune changes trying to bandaid the problem, you may still continue to have stalling issues. You need to get a good tuner in person and go take the car for a ride and fix your issues. Even the best tuners may have issues getting it right through an email tune.

My car starts right up every time. No hunting idle, no stalling, nothing. The car drives better then stock and gets over 20mpg. I can drive it anywhere anytime I want without having to worry. I dont know what im doing wrong. Boy I really hate this thing..........

I had more driveability issues when I had my KB. Belts snapping/slipping, excessive heat causing power loss, TBs sticking, etc etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread