Turning up the 2.3 Whipple

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
So here's the scenario. I live at high-ish elevation, around 5000 feet. The typical dyno correction factor up here is 1.25. My car with the Whipple 2.3 kit and JLT intake makes 580 rwhp corrected. I would like to get to that number uncorrected, right now uncorrected per the 1.25 is about 460. Damn you altitude! :shrug:

Current pulley is the 3.25", injectors are 47 lb/hr. My thinking is right now I'm not really taxing anything hard at all per the 460 number, so it's just a matter of turning up the boost? I'm at about 9 now.

Just trying to figure out the least expensive and most durable way to make up for the power deficit up here.

tt54l32v

Established Member
The guy your racing has the same problem, in fact your corrected dyno numbers are prob more accurate than others that are closer to sea level yet dont correct

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
The guy your racing has the same problem, in fact your corrected dyno numbers are prob more accurate than others that are closer to sea level yet dont correct

Uh.. ok? I don't care about that. I want my car to pull as hard up here as it would at sea level with the mods that are on it right this moment.

tt54l32v

Established Member
Then you need about 120 more hp, which is about 50% more boost than your current level.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Then you need about 120 more hp, which is about 50% more boost than your current level.

i doubt that he will 50% more boost. just get a 12# pulley it should get you 500whp corrected. you can also just run a small 75 shot of nitrous.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
You guys are making this hard. It makes 580 CORRECTED right now. I want to make 580 UNCORRECTED. No nitrous, thank you. I guess I was hoping somebody who has knowledge of these blowers and tuning them would come across the thread. If that's not you, please don't reply. Thanks :)

02b4ccamaro

Established Member
your not going to make that w/a 2.3 whipple it just not going to happen. You would have be making a corrected 725 and a 2.3 not going to do that unless you are running over 20psi and e85 or race gas.

wazslow

Established Member
You also may have to build the shortblock to relialby handle that kind of power. 580rwhp at sea level you would probably be fine on the stock motor. But, I dont think it will be as reliable with 580rwhp at 5000ft elivation.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Pressure is pressure and your making 9# right now I'd say you should stay there unless you are the living on the edge type

JL-KA

Established Member
Yeah man. It's not happening without building the engine. You should have gone with a Centri at that elevation. Could have safely squeezed another 50ish out of it without being at the dangerous level. Even then though you're still nowhere near where you want.

So if you want that power.....build the motor.....or move.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Pressure is pressure and your making 9# right now I'd say you should stay there unless you are the living on the edge type

9psi, but it doesn't equal the same cylinder pressure as at lower elevation. The cylinder pressure is what's going to hurt it if anything, not the manifold pressure.

kevinp

Established Member
Are you really making 9psi at that altitude? The pulley you are running is 10-11psi at sea level, at 5000' you may be only around 7psi, which is about where your uncorrected power is. 9psi should be over 500 uncorrected with a decent tune but high altitude tuning is tricky.

At that altitude you may not have enough compressor to do 580-600rwhp efficiently, but you still have some room to grow pulley-wise. You wont make the same power per psi as sea level guys, since spinning the blower faster to get the same psi will cost you in heat and parasitic loss.

If it were me I would start by making the intake the least restrictive as possible, that new JLT intake, better throttle body etc. After that I would start changing pulleys, to get where you want.

But yea, as far as injectors you should be looking at the uncorrected numbers.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
8-9 psi right now. No gauge on the car, last time it was dyno'd we hooked up a boost transducer and that's what it showed. Picked up about a pound with the JLT big air 127mm intake. Still running the stock GT500 TB that comes with the kit.

Put another way, if I step away from looking at HP then it's track times. Stock the MPH was 105, with the blower it's 121. A set of sticky tires should get it to low-mid 11's from the current best of 12.03 on the stock Pirellis. I just want to get it mid 10's for now.

kevinp

Established Member
8-9 psi right now. No gauge on the car, last time it was dyno'd we hooked up a boost transducer and that's what it showed. Picked up about a pound with the JLT big air 127mm intake. Still running the stock GT500 TB that comes with the kit.

Put another way, if I step away from looking at HP then it's track times. Stock the MPH was 105, with the blower it's 121. A set of sticky tires should get it to low-mid 11's from the current best of 12.03 on the stock Pirellis. I just want to get it mid 10's for now.

Aftermarket TB will help some but its not as cost effective as a pulley, anything that gives you power without spinning the blower higher is a plus though. 121mph is about right for 460rwhp so it is what it is. I would just try to step the pulley up and see what happens. Maybe get a little more aggressive with the tune as well, I could run a lot more timing at 5000' then 1000' thats for sure.

I raced all over the country with a supercharged car with a limited sized blower (from sea level to 4500') so I feel you pain. In the summer you are fighting the heat as well, heat exchanger/intercooler isnt as efficient with thinner air going through it and that doesnt help either.

Users who are viewing this thread