TV gurus I need some direction.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Projectors are your best $/screen sq ft out there. $1000 will get you an 80" to 140" diagonal screen, depending on your available throw distance in your room. Easy.

Check out AVSforum and ProjectorPeople for help in screens and projectors.

Spade

Established Member
No problem. The only thing I'd ever ask a Best Buy employee is where the bathrooms were at. ;-)

LOL Fact!!!

Plasmas don't even have bulbs lol. The only thing about plasmas being cheaper is it makes them a much better value. Higher end plasmas like Panasonic (there are crap models, just like any kind of tv) are rock solid. You've been given some good info and that site spells it all out pretty nicely. I prefer plasma for several reasons. Generally more accurate colors, better contrast ratio, deeper blacks, better shadow detail, better off-axis viewing angles, and the big one is how they handle motion. They don't need any special processing to help with image blur which will distort the image. All of that and cheaper too.

Some people love to have their tv's brightness and contrast cranked up to retina searing levels and that's what looks good to them, and you won't get that with a plasma. Different strokes for different folks, I don't like it.

Maybe I was thinking projectors. Dude I have no idea!

Projectors are your best $/screen sq ft out there. $1000 will get you an 80" to 140" diagonal screen, depending on your available throw distance in your room. Easy.

Check out AVSforum and ProjectorPeople for help in screens and projectors.

Thanks but my wife wants nothing bigger than a 42"ish. Maybe I could talk her into something bigger. she thought our 40" for the bedroom was too big until it was in and she watched it.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks but my wife wants nothing bigger than a 42"ish. Maybe I could talk her into something bigger. she thought our 40" for the bedroom was too big until it was in and she watched it.

My wife didn't understand either when I designed our old house with a theater room, that is until we enjoyed a movie in my brother's full on in home theater with a 100"+ screen and Dolby True HD. It blew her mind, and then all the rest was easy. Now my brother's system was easily $50K plus and mine was only about $3K, but it was still pretty awesome. My current home doesn't have a theater, as such. I still have the same equipment, but the ambiance is missing.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I've got a 60" Panasonic Viera Plasma about a year ago and I love it. I'd get a Panasonic Plasma. Plasma's give you the best picture and the Hz (speed) is still untouchable. Or if I was loaded an OLED TV.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The only area where LCD has an edge on plasma is power consumption where LCD's use considerably less power. everything else Plasma > LCD

even this isnt true. most plasmas and lcd's today are within 20-30 watts....or less than half a single light bulb in your house. I dont consider that "considerably less"

No problem. The only thing I'd ever ask a Best Buy employee is where the bathrooms were at. ;-)

i wouldnt know where the bathrooms are. im too busy building $10k-$120k systems :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread