TV Recommendations?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I read alot of reviews before I bought my TV and I went with a Panasonic Plasma Viera. It's not a bad TV but My friend's Vizio LED is much better. I have the TV calibration setting modeled off of some forum so its the best it can be and it still isn't as good as an LED imo. Next TV I get will be an LED. Not to mention, my plasma puts off quite a bit of heat and in a bedroom, you can tell when it has been on for a while.
You either have it calibrated wrong or bought a lower tier Viera. My VT60 heat output is almost non existent, my older 50 inch Sammy puts out heat like an oven. Every friend of mine who has seen my TV have said is the best or one of the best looking TV's, some are LED owners themselves as well.

I don't mess with the calibration, I leave it on THX-Bright. Looks perfect IMO.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I have a Panasonic plasma, proper calibration is a must. I had to go into the dreaded maintenance mode to get it right. Hopefully my next will be an oled

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
From the market now, I would get a Samsung Plasma. The Panny's are the best or one of the best but they're now discontinued. You can get a Sammy Plasma for decent quality and size for your price range.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick to a Samsung, I've never had a issue with mine.

I'll add that for a brighter room, an LED will work better than a plasma because they're brighter. My Samsung F8500 would be the only plasma exception that I know of.

Just checked out that Sammy it's a little pricey but that's true. I was reading on another forum that LED is better for a brighter room. I'm to check them out. I don't want to buy the wrong TV..

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick to a Samsung, I've never had a issue with mine.
Just checked out that Sammy it's a little pricey but that's true. I was reading on another forum that LED is better for a brighter room. I'm to check them out. I don't want to buy the wrong TV..
It's a bit missleading when people bring up the brightness. A lot of people said the VT60 is dark even with the brightness up. The way I have mine set up, there's still plenty of more brightness to go to but I chose not to since its bright enough for me. It all comes down to YOUR preferences.

I have a sliding glass door on the side and two plastic? openings behind the TV where light comes thru as well, so there's quite a lot of light yet I have no need to make the TV brighter. LED is lighter, brighter, and has better energy consumption, thats about it. The colors are weaker especially the blacks, the viewing angles are nowhere near as good and really that's what I care the most when watching a TV.

If I ever replace my Plasma's, it will be with an OLED, the best of both worlds.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Side question. Is the higher Hz better? 120Hz vs. 600Hz?
Higher Hz = higher refresh rate aka no motion blur. So yes, higher Hz is better, however, Plasmas (all?) don't need to worry about this since the way they produce the picture is different than an LCD/LED. The whole 600hz from a plasma vs the Hz produced by an LCD/LED are different.

A more proper comparison would LCD vs LED Hz, or Plasma vs another Plasma Hz.

Last edited:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Maybe a LED TV, anyone have any experience with those? It would be in a well lit room so fear a Plasma might not work the best..
I have a well lit room and plasma works great. I had a led and returned it the soap opera effect drove me nuts..

Now I'm rocking a 60inch 8k series sammy

And a sam 42 in bedroom
I would go with another Samsung in whatever you choose to get. I love mine.

Yup!!

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I have a well lit room and plasma works great. I had a led and returned it the soap opera effect drove me nuts..
Now I'm rocking a 60inch 8k series sammy

And a sam 42 in bedroom

Yup!!

You can just turn it off, but I do agree with you that it is annoying.

TorchMach

Established Member
Side question. Is the higher Hz better? 120Hz vs. 600Hz?

Very good question!

Higher Hz = higher refresh rate aka no motion blur. So yes, higher Hz is better, however, Plasmas (all?) don't need to worry about this since the way they produce the picture is different than an LCD/LED. The whole 600hz from a plasma vs the Hz produced by an LCD/LED are different.

A more proper comparison would LCD vs LED Hz, or Plasma vs another Plasma Hz.

Thanks for clearing that up! I was about to ask the same question.lol

TorchMach

Established Member
Ok so I have decided to go with a Sammy 60" Plasma. If I could find a bigger one I would lol I won't be needing a smart TV as I'll never use that stuff..

This is what I have came up with as best price. Fry's has the same one for $949.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...8864995544&skuId=8182045&st=8182045&cp=1&lp=1

This one is 64" at both Fry's and Best Buy. However $400 for a extra 4" is it really worth it?
http://www.frys.com/product/8039904?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What do you guys think of this TV? Anyone own the same one, Cody?
ps, Cody ready for CC to bring that W LOL

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I was in the same boat when I got the VT60, was set on the 60 inch but went with the 65 inch instead. Didn't wanna be questioning or regretting it later. Im happy with the purchase and to me, the $500 was worth it. I don't buy TV's every year, I try to go the long mile with them.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
4uhuzuby.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread