TV Recommendations?

TorchMach

Established Member
It's time to search for a new TV. I would like for it to be 55+ and under $1,200. Right now I have a Samsung Plasma and can't complain. Also, I thought about a projector but it's always seemed like a hassle, any insight on this?

Thanks for the help guys, I was just thinking of going with another Sami Plasma but I know some of you are really good at getting the best bang for your buck when it comes to TV's.

:beer:

HIonPSI

Established Member
We just picked up a Vizio E550 (i think) for outside and its been great so far...cant beat the price either. I was skeptical about Vizio's but ours is doing awesome.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
I am not a TV expert, but we bought a 60" LG 60PN5700 Plasma 1080p (SmartTV/non-3D) recently for about $850 and it has been outstanding. Our previous main television was a Sony Bravia 40" LCD 1080p (which is now our secondary TV, still working wonderfully).

Thought it was a good deal and so far love the television.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
If it's not too late, and you can still find one get the 60" Panasonic Plasma.

I used to see them selling for $899.00 to $1399.00 but that was BEFORE they were discontinued.
Now, people seem to think they are solid gold.

TorchMach

Established Member
Check out this site. May have some info to help you out. www.crutchfield.com

Checked it out, seems more like a car/audio place. Appreciate the link though.

We just picked up a Vizio E550 (i think) for outside and its been great so far...cant beat the price either. I was skeptical about Vizio's but ours is doing awesome.

I have been skeptical myself as well about Vizio's. I'm sure they are made better then they used to.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/

I always do some research here before committing on TV's.

I'm going to be on that forum for awhile. Very good info. Thanks.

I am not a TV expert, but we bought a 60" LG 60PN5700 Plasma 1080p (SmartTV/non-3D) recently for about $850 and it has been outstanding. Our previous main television was a Sony Bravia 40" LCD 1080p (which is now our secondary TV, still working wonderfully).

Thought it was a good deal and so far love the television.

Perfect feed back. That's kinda what I had in mind. Good price too, leaves me money for a sound system possibly as well.

TorchMach

Established Member
If it's not too late, and you can still find one get the 60" Panasonic Plasma.

I used to see them selling for $899.00 to $1399.00 but that was BEFORE they were discontinued.
Now, people seem to think they are solid gold.

What's so special about that TV that people want them? Undervalued?

TorchMach

Established Member
Maybe a LED TV, anyone have any experience with those? It would be in a well lit room so fear a Plasma might not work the best..

BlueSnake01

Established Member
From the market now, I would get a Samsung Plasma. The Panny's are the best or one of the best but they're now discontinued. You can get a Sammy Plasma for decent quality and size for your price range.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maybe a LED TV, anyone have any experience with those? It would be in a well lit room so fear a Plasma might not work the best..

I have a Samsung 51" F8500 plasma TV. I bought it specifically because it was the brightest plasma available. Perfect for a brighter room. A bit higher than the OP's budget but what an awesome picture. This is our third Samsung plasma TV.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
What's so special about that TV that people want them? Undervalued?

I believe panasonic stopped making plasmas and they are great TV's, so people want to scoop them up before they are gone. My parents have three of them, two 42s and a 50". The oldest one must be 6-8 years old by now and still looks new. Two of them are in very well lit rooms and you can still see them just fine.

I have this Samsung LED and love it. I'm sure there are things a pro could nitpick about it, but it works great in my living room.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/4327005.p?id=1219097782831&skuId=4327005&st=pcmcat193400050018_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=5

Also, I'd check out Vizio if you want a huge TV for cheaper. I have a 7 year old 32" LCD Vizio that still looks the same as the day I bought it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'll add that for a brighter room, an LED will work better than a plasma because they're brighter. My Samsung F8500 would be the only plasma exception that I know of.

Sirraf

Established Member
I read alot of reviews before I bought my TV and I went with a Panasonic Plasma Viera. It's not a bad TV but My friend's Vizio LED is much better. I have the TV calibration setting modeled off of some forum so its the best it can be and it still isn't as good as an LED imo. Next TV I get will be an LED. Not to mention, my plasma puts off quite a bit of heat and in a bedroom, you can tell when it has been on for a while.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I read alot of reviews before I bought my TV and I went with a Panasonic Plasma Viera. It's not a bad TV but My friend's Vizio LED is much better. I have the TV calibration setting modeled off of some forum so its the best it can be and it still isn't as good as an LED imo. Next TV I get will be an LED. Not to mention, my plasma puts off quite a bit of heat and in a bedroom, you can tell when it has been on for a while.

Calibrating your TV using other people's settings is the equivalent of tuning your car with someone else's pre-made tune. I bought a calibrator and did it myself on my Viera and it looks outstanding. Especially compared to when I did the same you did and used someone else's settings from the AVS forums.

Users who are viewing this thread