Tv went out

jdcobra

Established Member
So my aunts 80” Sharp Aquos went out a couple weeks ago. A reputable tech came out to address the issue and it was the main board. Got it fixed and not even a week later, it died again. Could it possibly have been a bad part? Or, was there an issue somewhere else inside causing the board to fail.

The tv is hooked up to a nice surge protector and has taken some hits which is probably why it went out in the first place.

jdcobra

Established Member
I'd call the tech back. Not likely it's a new problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yea, she did. He’s on vacation until the 17th. But he said he’d place the order for the other part and come switch it out at no charge, and take a look to see if it could be anything else.

I know new parts can be faulty but was curious to see if anyone else has had this problem.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Take it apart and look for swelled capacitors. Often it's a literal 30 cent fix that takes a few minutes with a soldering iron.
Not a good recommendation since it sounds like it’s under warranty. If that’s not the case, she’ll likely spend more money on repairs than a new TV, as prices have dropped fairly drastically. If it is under warranty, I’d be asking for another technician to come out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With the price of TV's anymore...
Yep, they're throw-aways for most people. Repairs can often exceed the cost of a new replacement. Or be at minimum 50% the cost of a replacement. Been there; done that. They're just so cheap now.

quad

Established Member
So my aunts 80” Sharp Aquos went out a couple weeks ago. A reputable tech came out to address the issue and it was the main board. Got it fixed and not even a week later, it died again. Could it possibly have been a bad part? Or, was there an issue somewhere else inside causing the board to fail.

The tv is hooked up to a nice surge protector and has taken some hits which is probably why it went out in the first place.
I personally prefer either Samsung or LG tvs. Sony as well but they seemed more expensive last time I checked. You can't go wrong with those brands.

Top 472 Reviews and Complaints about Sharp TVs

A surge protector would also not help during a low voltage or brownout event. For that your best bet is a UPS battery backup. I don't have my TVs hooked up to them but all my computers are. A modern LED TV does not draw too much power - even the larger ones - and a decent UPS battery would have no problem driving those off the battery. When a low voltage event happens the UPS immediately kicks in and takes the electronics off the grid and delivers 120V via the battery. I have seen the power to our home spike down to 100V a few times in the past. Lately our power has been stable.

jdcobra

Established Member
Yea I told her to get something else. Unfortunately it’s not under warranty and she paid 600 for the initial fix and work.

She’s going to look at the Samsung and Sony TVs sometime this week.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My 60" Sharp Aquos has the blue vertical line that they're so famous for, it's been there for years...

I wish it would just quit working so I have good reason to get the 75" Samsung I've been looking at.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Yea I told her to get something else. Unfortunately it’s not under warranty and she paid 600 for the initial fix and work.

She’s going to look at the Samsung and Sony TVs sometime this week.
Samsung QLED FTW!

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Have had good luck with vizeo’s latley. Was always a Sony fan but the last one went to pot after two years. I’m with brad and cobrabob, tv’s are almost throw away items anymore.

Cobra1997111

Established Member
Just bought the Sony X900F 65.. on sale at BB, all I can say is whyyyy didn’t I get the 75.. Such a great tv, solid blacks and color, with only a home calibration to boot. I looked at all the QLED and OLED but didn’t want to spend more that 2k.. This seemed to be the best I could buy at well under my budget.

Blown 89

Established Member
Not a good recommendation since it sounds like it’s under warranty. If that’s not the case, she’ll likely spend more money on repairs than a new TV, as prices have dropped fairly drastically. If it is under warranty, I’d be asking for another technician to come out.
If it's not under warranty I don't see why that's not an option provided the op or someone close to her can work a soldering iron. I wasn't kidding when I said it will likely cost under a dollar to fix. If a power surge caused the failure it's most certainly a toasted cap on the power supply. I have a calibrated monitor at work that took a power surge. It was only $500 to replace but it only took 20 minutes to fix at a grand total of $1.39. Blown caps are easy to spot, they look like bulging mushrooms and basic soldering skills from 5 minutes on youtube is all it takes. It sure beats spending a grand on a new 80"

Also, get another surge protector. Once they take a hit they need replacing. They should be replaced periodically anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread