TWA flight 800

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone following this? I do not remember this happening at all. Apparently a 747 exploded over the ocean with no explanation. There is a wrongful death suit alleging that the US accidently shot it down with a missile. Wild.

Morgan

Established Member
It occurred in 1996, I definitely don’t remember the story. It may have been silenced by the feds.

I did find an email from Raytheon to the DoD titled “Testing Results”. It reads, “We have good news and bad news.”

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember this simply because months after this happened I was taking my first international trip. On a 747. And the leading theory at the time was that the cause was a design flaw in the center gas tank, or something to that effect, that a spark could ignite the tank and the plane would explode. This 22 year old was shitting bricks for about 8 hours straight. lol

RickyBobby51

Established Member
This is odd. With a loss that occurs in 1996, and a filing of a claim in 2022, a statute of limitation/notice of claim timeliness are initial issues that come to mind. If there were misrepresentations by the defense to the plaintiffs pre-litigation, that may serve to toll the statute of limitation under an equitable estoppel type of argument.

With the number of claimants and the devastating nature of the losses to human life, I don't see how the government could reasonably expect to keep this suppressed. However, government employees (I refuse to identify them as government "workers" in Court) are rarely known for hard work, competence, and reasonableness as a group. In fact, letters from the government are frequently unsigned, and also do not identify the author of the letter, thus allowing government employees to "hide behind their desks" in anonymity when taking unreasonable and irresponsible positions.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
That's the one where the 16 kids from their high school French club died on the plane. I remember because that school is in our area and it was somewhat of a big deal.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
With the number of claimants and the devastating nature of the losses to human life, I don't see how the government could reasonably expect to keep this suppressed. However, government employees (I refuse to identify them as government "workers" in Court) are rarely known for hard work, competence, and reasonableness as a group. In fact, letters from the government are frequently unsigned, and also do not identify the author of the letter, thus allowing government employees to "hide behind their desks" in anonymity when taking unreasonable and irresponsible positions.

Well-articulated.

The vast majority of fed, state, county employees would never, EVER, make it in the private work sphere. The level of incompetence is staggering, out in plain sight for everyone to see, yet no one does shit about it.

Absolutely drives me bonkers.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
1.gif

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I remember this. I also remember racing at Bridgehampton (a GREAT track that is no longer), and someone commented, when we were there (late 90's) the track would have had a great view of what ever happened.

MG0h3

Established Member
You would think that allegations that the US military accidently shot down a passenger plane would at least make the news. Its not like this is some cooked up shit on 4Chan. It is in the US courts.
There was at least one witness who stated that they saw a flame shooting towards the plane before it exploded.

Weird that you posted this.

Listening to the news on a drive and talk of the 737 max and the door plug was on.

Starting to plan our next overseas trip and TWA 800 came to mind.

Kinda had a weird wtf or Deja vu moment. Maybe I should do a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I vaguely remember it and seems somewhat familiar the claims it was shot down.

So called conspiracy theorists batting average going up quite a bit the last couple years

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
There was at least one witness who stated that they saw a flame shooting towards the plane before it exploded.

Weird that you posted this.

Listening to the news on a drive and talk of the 737 max and the door plug was on.

Starting to plan our next overseas trip and TWA 800 came to mind.

Kinda had a weird wtf or Deja vu moment. Maybe I should do a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

If it is any consolation I had to fly Lion Air from Sydney to Melbourne shortly after one of their planes disappeared into the ocean. IIRC they had two planes dissappear in short order. They weighed our luggage before we boarded. It was very unnerving.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I remember this as well. It was obviously a big story at the time and claims of a missile but if I remember correctly there was never an official cause.

Users who are viewing this thread