Twelve U.S. states urge Biden to back phasing out gas-powered vehicle sales by 2035

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
WASHINGTON, April 21 (Reuters) - The governors of a dozen U.S. states including California, New York, Massachusetts and North Carolina called on President Joe Biden on Wednesday to back ending sales of new gasoline-powered vehicles by 2035, a dramatic shift away from fossil fuels.

Biden's $2.3 trillion infrastructure plan calls for $174 billion in spending and tax credits to boost electric vehicles (EVs) and charging networks but does not call for phasing out gasoline-powered passenger vehicles.

In a letter that was seen by Reuters, the governors, which also include those of Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington State and Rhode Island, urged Biden to set standards "to ensure that all new passenger cars and light-duty trucks sold are zero-emission no later than 2035 with significant milestones along the way to monitor progress."

They argued that "by establishing a clear regulatory path to ensuring that all vehicles sold in the United States are zero-emission, we can finally clear the air and create high-road jobs."

The governors also want Biden to set standards and adopt incentives aimed at ensuring 100% zero-emission sales of medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles by 2045.

The White House did not immediately comment on the governors' letter.

States and some lawmakers hope that Biden's endorsement of a phase-out date will speed the transition to EVs by users and automakers. EVs currently make up just 2% of U.S. vehicle sales.

A number of U.S. lawmakers have urged Biden follow California's lead, which in September said it planned to end sales of new gas-powered passenger vehicles by 2035. Biden's campaign said last fall he did not support California's phase-out plan.

In March, a group of 71 House Democrats urged Biden to set tough emissions rules to ensure 60% of new passenger cars and trucks sold are zero-emission by 2030, while 10 U.S. senators urged Biden "to set a date by which new sales of fossil fuel vehicles will end entirely."

General Motors GM.N said in January it was setting a goal to end all gasoline passenger car and truck sales by 2035. Volvo, a unit of Zhejiang Geely Holding 0175.HK, said its entire car line-up will be fully electric by 2030 and Ford’s F.N European lineup will also be fully electric by 2030.

In their letter, the governors said they want Biden to boost fuel economy standards rolled back under President Donald Trump and provide states "substantial funding for investment in charging and fueling infrastructure." They also urged removal of or raising the EV tax credit limits per manufacturer.

But not everyone has backed a phase-out plan.

Rory Gamble, the president of the United Auto Workers union, has expressed caution about the shift to EVs, noting it takes fewer workers to build EVs than gas-powered vehicles and said "workers will disproportionately suffer if we do not get it right."

He said last month the government must ensure the transition to EVs “is stable, reliable and creates quality union wage jobs and flexible to market demand not relying on a one-size fits all solution.”

Twelve U.S. states urge Biden to back phasing out gas-powered vehicle sales by 2035 | Reuters

q6543

Established Member
This sucks.. and like anything else.. there is NO going back.

We are gonna need to start building nuclear plants all over.
I would be far more worried about getting reactors and infrastructure built out than forcing the endgame.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
If I lived in one of those states I'd make sure your house can run almost independently from the electric grid as the grid won't be there.
Screw the solar panels, I want a small nuke. Imagine electric cars with small nukes that only need refilled every few years... then I'd get behind them.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well to be honest, we're all going to be driving electric vehicles in the very hear future. We're not even going to have a choice.
So much for "freedom", huh?!?!? Absolutely horrible!

quad

Established Member
This sucks.. and like anything else.. there is NO going back.

We are gonna need to start building nuclear plants all over.
I would be far more worried about getting reactors and infrastructure built out than forcing the endgame.
Hydro plants generate a lot more power than nuclear plants.

List of largest power stations - Wikipedia

Three Gorges Hydro Plant can generate over 18 times the power of a nuclear plant like Fermi in Michigan.

Tidal Power Plants have the potential to dwarf the output of Three Gorges by magnitudes. There's a lot more energy in the ocean compared to a river.

5 largest tidal power projects proposed for a green future - Green Diary - A comprehensive guide to sustainable hacks, green tips, and eco suggestions

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
They can keep their gross pollution electric cars, their propaganda, and their ****ing nose out of my life.

Ive got zero interest in purchasing an electric vehicle that causes more pollution than an ICE car/truck ever will. These ****ing morons DO NOT GET IT that the pollution was not abated, only transferred to different sections of the production/life cycle.

Ban jetliners first, then attempt to shove your bullshit down my throat.

quad

Established Member
no matter how hard they try they’ll never be able to completely phase out gas/diesel vehicles
Tidal Power is the way of the future. Forget wind or solar power.

Gas will be phased out eventually because oil is a finite resource. And you need to phase it out decades before oil supplies become limited. Failing to do so could have disastrous consequences as nations scramble for oil and supply lines are disrupted.

I love my gasoline cars and I just hope they don't force people to turn them in. Didn't Canada offer an appliance rebate for everyone back in the day when they transitioned from 50Hz to 60Hz?

List of Voltages & Frequencies (Hz) by Country - Electric Power Around the Globe

blk02edge

Established Member
They can keep their gross pollution electric cars, their propaganda, and their ****ing nose out of my life.

Ive got zero interest in purchasing an electric vehicle that causes more pollution than an ICE car/truck ever will. These ****ing morons DO NOT GET IT that the pollution was not abated, only transferred to different sections of the production/life cycle.

Ban CHINA first, then attempt to shove your bullshit down my throat.
FIFY

quad

Established Member

Ban jetliners first, then attempt to shove your bullshit down my throat.
Hydro power is clean.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Ban products from China shipped by huuuuuge cargo ships, then get China and India to catch up to what our country has done for the environment, then build more nuclear plants, and then we can talk about more BS

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
If this sees the light of day, every bit of power used to recharge these EVs better come form zero emissions sources too. Good luck with that! I work with a guy who owns a Tesla Model S and he has "Zero Emissions" on his front license plate cover. I asked him before where the power to recharge it comes from...blank stare.

In places like LA, where the majority of people park on the street. Many times, not close to their residence. How is all this recharging going to work? We haven't thought of that yet...

blk02edge

Established Member
If this sees the light of day, every bit of power used to recharge these EVs better come form zero emissions sources too. Good luck with that! I work with a guy who owns a Tesla Model S and he has "Zero Emissions" on his front license plate cover. I asked him before where the power to recharge it comes from...blank stare.

In places like LA, where the majority of people park on the street. Many times, not close to their residence. How is all this recharging going to work? We haven't thought of that yet...
It'll come from trillions of $ of added tax revenue lol

blk02edge

Established Member
Then just get the photon laser beam accessory so you can vaporize them when they attack your EV!
Where do I buy such a thing? Im ready to get started now while I still have my ICE cars.

Users who are viewing this thread