Two dead cylinders... I need help....

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Well, I just got done talking to Rick and they figured out what's wrong.... #5 has bad piston rings. They scoped it and did a leak-down and all cylinders checked out except #5. It's not holding pressure and Rick said that they could hear air bleeding off into the crank case. The valves are fine. They're gonna pull the engine after they get done with another engine project and then I'll know the extent of the damage. Hopefully it just needs new rings and that's it. But if the block needs to be re-honed, Rick has a good engine guy in Atlanta that will take care of it.

This sucks, but at least now I know what the problem is...
THAT SUCKS!!!!

i got a similar issue, all my plugs are soot covered on the drivers side... if i pull the head and discover the motor is toast im gonna cry... LOL

But then again i can get rods pistons and rings from Leathal right now for $1200 with the holiday deal...

then again my soon to be in 4 months wife would kick my ass!!!!

"sorry honey i spent our honeymoon cash on a built motor..." haha

good luck with the repairs...

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Hopefully it's just a ring swap.

YUP!

Im hopping its something easy in my motor too...

IE the 97K mile Chain tensioner failed and cause the timing chain to jump, or the cam gear crack and slipped... something simple...

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Rick at ATS and he said his engine guy just finished pulling the block apart. He said that everything from the crank to the pistons looked beautiful and there is no signs of damage to the block. This means that there is definitely something boogered up with the drivers side cylinder head. So my block is going to get some new bearings and new piston rings and my heads are getting shipped to JDM tomorrow. I'm going to have them overhaul both heads and build them to their spec's. I've never heard anything bad about JDM's heads and I'm currently running their block that was just proven tougher than my heads. So I trust that JDM will work wonders with my Patriot heads.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Thanks everyone. I'm sure it will still be expensive in the end. But like Stan said, it could have been a lot worse...

Users who are viewing this thread