Two dead cylinders... I need help....

FordFanStan

Established Member
Eric, I'll have to look through all the brochures, flyers, posters, pictures, stickers, manuals, dvds, cdroms, t-shirts, hats, beanies, bus cards, key chains, lanyards, coozies, and samples of products once I get back to the shop. I dont remember off hand and I'm at school now :D ... Stan

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Spencer did you squirt some oil in the cylinder to see if the compression comes up? If it does then you know the rings are suspect if not def a valve problem.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Me 2! That would mean that I'd be living in Cali right now.:coolman:

Well Median house price is $500K+, Gas is $4.00 a Gal, and the air is poor from the fires...

BUT its a balmy 75 degrees out today.. hahaha

CA > *

Eric you should move... haha

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Spencer did you squirt some oil in the cylinder to see if the compression comes up? If it does then you know the rings are suspect if not def a valve problem.

I did, but the oil clogged my gauge and now it doesn't work. I don't think the rings are bad in that cylinder. I'm pretty sure it's a valve problem. If the heads do in fact need to be replaced, I'm going to find the beefiest components I can get and make some bullet-proof heads. I don't want to speculate but I do have Patriot heads. If what a lot of people say about them is true, that would explain my current situation. It just sucks that it took over two years and right before I go racing to come about.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Go with JJ's if you can. Can you imagine the power his stage 4's are going to make with the 3.4?

Hopefully I won't have to buy new heads. But if it comes to that I'll definitely shop around and solicit advice from these forums before making a choice. I'll want to make sure I get it right.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'm going to find the beefiest components I can get and make some bullet-proof heads.

No such animal there brother. As long as we have a single spring then we're at the mercy of fate IMO. How the heads are setup and assembled is just as important if not moreso than the parts used in them. There are plenty of choices out there, all within a small margin of one anther for the most part, good for us. One step at a time. You may be turned off by it but in the long run having the current head(s) gone through and freshened CORRECTLY will go a long ways over buying another complete set outright.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
No such animal there brother. As long as we have a single spring then we're at the mercy of fate IMO. How the heads are setup and assembled is just as important if not moreso than the parts used in them. There are plenty of choices out there, all within a small margin of one anther for the most part, good for us. One step at a time. You may be turned off by it but in the long run having the current head(s) gone through and freshened CORRECTLY will go a long ways over buying another complete set outright.

If the heads are in fact damaged, I'm by no means opposed to having them gone through and freshened if they're salvageable.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
And maybe hogged out some with a cam upgrade? :rockon:

foshnizzle9oz.gif

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Spencer, are your heads the way they were when they came out of the box from patriot????
If so............ it was found that my valve guides were mushroomed so that it was tight in the middle and oversized at each end and one could actually wiggle a valve. This happens because they hone out the guide before they put it in the head and not after. 700 dollers later and all new guides, valves and seats my heads are great:kaboom:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Spencer, are your heads the way they were when they came out of the box from patriot????
If so............ it was found that my valve guides were mushroomed so that it was tight in the middle and oversized at each end and one could actually wiggle a valve. This happens because they hone out the guide before they put it in the head and not after. 700 dollers later and all new guides, valves and seats my heads are great:kaboom:

I got the heads from LFP and when I asked Mark he didn't want to tell me who did his heads for him. I said okay and called Patriot. They confirmed that they make the heads for LFP. So they came from LFP and no, I didn't have anything done to them after I received them.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Spence,

Like I said earlier, now we only order bare castings and do everything else ourselves. But even before that, we would always tear apart the partriots, most of the time we need to mill them, replace all valvetrain, and also the valve seals. What color are your valve seals? They use a cheap aftermarket OEM replacement, we replace them with Ford seals...

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It's kinda moot now anyways, if your gonna yank the head(s) then prudence dictates that you'd go through them completely whilst they're out and replace or redo everything. I'd have the springs checked and or replaced as well with some Nexteks or the newer Comp Cams stiffer units, that would better compliment the stage III cam you'll put in.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Well, I just got done talking to Rick and they figured out what's wrong.... #5 has bad piston rings. They scoped it and did a leak-down and all cylinders checked out except #5. It's not holding pressure and Rick said that they could hear air bleeding off into the crank case. The valves are fine. They're gonna pull the engine after they get done with another engine project and then I'll know the extent of the damage. Hopefully it just needs new rings and that's it. But if the block needs to be re-honed, Rick has a good engine guy in Atlanta that will take care of it.

This sucks, but at least now I know what the problem is...

Users who are viewing this thread