Two dead cylinders... I need help....

FordFanStan

Established Member
Dante said he thinks a burnt valve, no need for the dealership, they will only tell you what you already know and perform a leakdown. N2o caused he is betting on... Stan

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Does the base have a Borescope handy?

As Stan has already stated, IDS would really help out on the diag depending on what you find with the leakdown test.

FordFanStan

Established Member
A regular borescope wont let him see much, or at least where he needs to see IMO. There is a newer style borescope out, just seen it at SEMA, that can acutally bend a small "U" in it, let you look right back up at the combustion chambers and the valves with no problem. It was amazing IMO. They wanted a li'l over a grand for it though and we already bought several cool tools and things already, SS hose tools, plastic modular mock-up heads and block, batteries, the information on the dyno we finally chose, and other odds and ends woot woot... Stan

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The Ford Borescope has different tips that will let you see in a 45 or a 90 degree view which would help for looking at the valve faces.

FordFanStan

Established Member
The Ford Borescope has different tips that will let you see in a 45 or a 90 degree view which would help for looking at the valve faces.

:thumbsup: you learn somethin' new everyday...

The one I seen Eric, its flexible, so you can change to any angle when inside, pretty neato huh...

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Well, I'm not even going to do a leak-down test. I went home for lunch and tested the compression again and #5 is getting intermittent compression. It will read 140 PSI and then 0 PSI. Then 20 PSI and then 0 PSI. If I let it sit for a little bit I'm able to get 140 PSI on the first test and then it stays at 0 PSI on the next test. Something is wrong inside the cylinder. I'm thinking it's either a bad valve seat, bent valve, or a valve guide has come loose. Hopefully it's something that can be corrected without too much money being thrown at it. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Yes it does sound like something with the valves/valvetrain Spence. Sorry to hear that. I was rootin' for the best. Hopefully Rick can get you repaired and on the streets soon :thumbsup: ... Stan

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I KNOW Rick and the peeps at Amazon will take great care of you Spencer!! I know how much it sux brother, I've been there.

Spencer if they are going to pull the heads you might want to inquire about hardend valve seats since you are plannin on staying on the bottle.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
I KNOW Rick and the peeps at Amazon will take great care of you Spencer!! I know how much it sux brother, I've been there.

yup ricks the only person i trust with my truck!

i used JLP for my trans but after what hearing about 2 friends of mine and there trouble getting motors... i plan to do the rest on my own

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
:thumbsup: you learn somethin' new everyday...

The one I seen Eric, its flexible, so you can change to any angle when inside, pretty neato huh...

I hear ya. Any chance you remember the name of the company that makes it? Sounds like a great tool. Might need to be added onto my "need" list. It sure would help out with the Navigator/Aviator heads that are dying right now. IDS is catching most of them with a relative compression test but some are squeaking by and taking a look inside would most certainly help.:beer:

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I hear ya. Any chance you remember the name of the company that makes it? Sounds like a great tool. Might need to be added onto my "need" list. It sure would help out with the Navigator/Aviator heads that are dying right now. IDS is catching most of them with a relative compression test but some are squeaking by and taking a look inside would most certainly help.:beer:

I wish my ford dealer had a tech like Eric!

DAMN..

Users who are viewing this thread