UC and UP by hand, and paint fade issues. I think..Help? 56K Warning.

SVTDice

Established Member
So here's the story, I figured i'd give hand polishing a try due to my recent financial limitations. Anyways, I got my hands on Ultimate compound and Ultimate Polish. I tried both for removing swirls. Honestly didnt give me the best results. It removed /some/ swirls but didnt get rid of them all. I'm not sure if i'm doing it wrong or what.

I'm using about a dime sized ammount of product on a prepped yellow Meg's foam pad. Doing around the size of a microfiber towel size area and working in the product with light/medium pressure with the palm of my hand and sometimes with my three fingers spread across the pad evenly. Working kind of medium/fast pace untill it starts to dry. Then I wipe it off with a microfiber.

It is removing SOME swirls. But to be honest I was really hoping for more. Now onto my bigger issue.

Near the trunk area I'm having what looks like either paint fade or oxidation. I can't really tell. So I took some pics of it. I tried using the ultimate compound on it, working it in pretty good and didnt seem to do much of anything. I'm not sure if i'm not working it in long enough or hard enough.

Anyways, I'll post up the pictures. ANY insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. I'm all up for any constructive criticism.

Trunk spoiler swirls.
2ikqxad.jpg

Swirl's front driver quarter panel
jt81mg.jpg

Close up of trunk spoiler swirls <- These are the worst ANYWHERE On my car, I don't get why these specifically managed to get there. Its just on the spoiler. I got some of them out, so they are alot better but. Seriously, What the hell?
2z4zhvl.jpg

More quarter panel swirls
se7oll.jpg

Now onto the paint fade/oxidation?
2e5pilj.jpg

Another picture of it.
axi35j.jpg

Last one
2czrgnm.jpg

Anybody want to help me out with this? On what I need to do to fix all of this? Thanks guys!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You cant polish or correct by hand. Your arm will never create enough heat to break down the product to level clearcoat.

George Wax

Established Member
I agree at a minimum use a dual action polisher for removing those swirl marks. Try a chemical paint cleaner on the oxidized painted areas to remove the oxidized paint. Meguiars Color X works really well for removing paint oxidation without the use of strong abrasives. You may also want to have a paint measurement on the oxidized areas in order to determine how much paint you have to work with before you start any serious paint correction procedures.

SVTDice

Established Member
Well, The car is all finished. But paint fade/oxidation. Wouldnt come out with even the Ultimate compound. I'm not sure if I didnt work it long enough or its something worse then Oxidation.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Looks like you did a good job but as mentioned, you'll really need a DA to get the swirls and if you can catch any of those swirls with your fingernail then even a DA won't help. The paint issue looks to be a clear coat issue but it's hard to tell with just pictures. Has the car ever been repaired? I've seen clear coat failure at the edges of repaired panels, similar to what your pictures look from here.
If you're ever in the Tampa area, drop me a line and I'll let you borrow my DA and my buddy has an auto body shop and could take a look at it. :beer:

SVTDice

Established Member
Looks like you did a good job but as mentioned, you'll really need a DA to get the swirls and if you can catch any of those swirls with your fingernail then even a DA won't help. The paint issue looks to be a clear coat issue but it's hard to tell with just pictures. Has the car ever been repaired? I've seen clear coat failure at the edges of repaired panels, similar to what your pictures look from here.
If you're ever in the Tampa area, drop me a line and I'll let you borrow my DA and my buddy has an auto body shop and could take a look at it. :beer:

As far as I know, the car has never been repainted. Thanks for the offer man, If i'm out that way I'll let you know :beer:. I'm not sure how hard it is to repair something like that. I guess the body shop would need to take a look at it. Its slowly getting worse. I'm just trying my best to slow the process.

Users who are viewing this thread