UFC 151 "CANCELLED" - Phone conference with Dana White

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
The UFC is won't last very much longer. It seems to have lost all of it's appeal. Boring ass fights with the same 3-4 washed up has been fighters (Mir, BJ Penn, Henderson). I remember a few years ago people would have huge parties and we would all get together to watch the fights. Now i couldn't tell you the last time i've even bothered to watch a preview. I think the constant repeats on Spike Tv and several other networks have helped to water down and "play out" the UFC.

I disagree completely. Our gym/school and many others just like it are busier than ever with people wanting to train and learn how to fight. It might be boring for you as a casual fan who just knows the big names of the sport, but if you attended more events than just the UFC, met these fighters, interacted with them you would have a fat greater respect for the fastest growing sport in the world. There is SO much talent out there it's ridiculous. I love this sport and hobby. I love every moment of training and the people in the hobby. :)

i agree boxing still rules always has always will!!!

they need to bring back superfights..catch weight tournaments...grand prix etc.

like PRIDE did. crazy rule fights..let a guy wear a gi.

something it needs more gimic type shit.

head butts and knees and foot stomps etc.

taking away the head butt ruined it in my opinion. opened up the door for the lay and pray and now they stand them up.

put me in your guard i will have you swallowing your own blood with a broken nose in 2 seconds.

MARK COLEMAN used to work that shit!

Boxing is dead, pure and simple. The numbers even back it up with their events and sales. They have no more stars, people don't want to sit and watch 12 rounds of pillow fighting only for corrupt judging to decide who wins fights. Mayweather is a clown and his pitter patter style is weak.

As for the old style rules of stomps and headbutts, it's not going to happen. That is what almost killed the the sport in the first place. State sancationing bodies would not approve events unless they were regulated to be safe.

Most people complain about the fights being boring, typically don't understand what they are watching and the live chess match that is taking place.

As for my guard, anytime you are in the DFW area you are more than welcome to come down to the school to see how you would survive in my guard. :)

To me this isnt just a UFC problem but a professional sports problem in general. These guys get paid too much and dont have respect for the people (Fans) that are filling their wallets.

This is why boxing isnt what it used to be, guys trying to pad their record and shying away from anything that isnt in their confort zone.

of course i understand why JJ wouldnt want to take this fight, but the fact is you are paid to be an entertainer. When there is an opportunity to make the show go on take it.

Not too mention your the baddest light heavy weight in the world but wont fight a middle weight who lost his last how many bouts??

Worried about what people will think fighting lessor competition? Dont back out of the fight, get in there and knock his head off in the 1st round or put him in the ER to let everyone know.

Absolutely. I don't think there is any coincidence that he's trying to pick and choose his fights after getting a big sponsorship like Nike in his corner. He's too worried about his legacy.

Fighting Sonnen/Machida would have been an easy pay day for him as he would destroy both with ease. It will catch up to him when he moves up to heavyweight. He thinks he is good enough to hold both titles at the same time. I'd like to see him try.

Last edited:

mr2cam

Established Member
The UFC is won't last very much longer. It seems to have lost all of it's appeal. Boring ass fights with the same 3-4 washed up has been fighters (Mir, BJ Penn, Henderson). I remember a few years ago people would have huge parties and we would all get together to watch the fights. Now i couldn't tell you the last time i've even bothered to watch a preview. I think the constant repeats on Spike Tv and several other networks have helped to water down and "play out" the UFC.

Well considering UFC 148 was the 2nd largest PPV ever in UFC history and just happened a couple of months ago, I am gonna say you might be wrong with that statement.. Oh ya and they happened to land this 7 year deal on this small network called FOX, no big deal..

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Well considering UFC 148 was the 2nd largest PPV ever in UFC history and just happened a couple of months ago, I am gonna say you might be wrong with that statement.. Oh ya and they happened to land this 7 year deal on this small network called FOX, no big deal..

Exactly. Don't forget moving into China and Russia as well, or a long running network series TUF etc.

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
The UFC has lost most of it's "casual" fans. Honestly i just think that everything has become too over hyped. There is no need for a full hour of bullshit explaining the history of each fighter. UFC has overmarketed itself. For christ's sake look at TAPOUT. I remember when i couldn't walk a ****ing block without seeing some wannabe wearing a TAPOUT/ Tapout MPS shirt. Now if you are seen in public wearing a Tapout shirt you are looked at as a tool. Part of my loss of interest could have been from having to listen to every guy at a bar talk about how they were "training" or how they would fight anyone in the bar and use their BJJ skills to beat them within an inch of their life.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
The UFC has lost most of it's "casual" fans. Honestly i just think that everything has become too over hyped. There is no need for a full hour of bullshit explaining the history of each fighter. UFC has overmarketed itself. For christ's sake look at TAPOUT. I remember when i couldn't walk a ****ing block without seeing some wannabe wearing a TAPOUT/ Tapout MPS shirt. Now if you are seen in public wearing a Tapout shirt you are looked at as a tool. Part of my loss of interest could have been from having to listen to every guy at a bar talk about how they were "training" or how they would fight anyone in the bar and use their BJJ skills to beat them within an inch of their life.

Again, FOX ratings, PPV sales and school attendance numbers completely contradict what you are saying. Not only is the casual fan interested, but its growing rapidly across the world, not just this country.

As for Tapout, they made a huge deal a few years back with Walmart to produce and market their brand which can produce enough shirts to sell them to Walmart target consumers at cheap $9-$11 per shirt range. Tapout scoring a HUGE deal with a world wide retailer can't be held against them. The deal went so well, the guys sold the company after that deal and Lewis dying and now they multi times over millionares each.

Btw, if you let other dictate what you wear based on trendy attitudes, that's on you and it's weak. Do what you do, don't worry about might think what is cool and what is not.

For the record, no I don't wear Tapout stuff and not because it's "uncool" to the sheep in the world, but rather I support the Gracie family wearing Grace Academy fightwear since I'm a student of theirs.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
IMO you dont turn down a fight in JJ's position, youre there to defend it from anyone. Second, Chael would be the guy to turn the fight down. He's a champ for accepting a fight with JJ at such short notice.

Champs have to defend their belt to those are that are LEGITIMATE CONTENDERS for the title. Not some chump with a big mouth. This is a sport, not drunken bar fights. :bored:

If Chael wants a title shot, he needs to beat Forest Griffin, Shogun, Rashad Evans and Machida, preferably in that order. :read: The sad truth is any one of those guys could rape him. You would have to be retarded to think that Bones or anyone else at LHW is scared of him. :lol:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Chael Sonnen is one of the highest paid fighters in the UFC, but it's not because of his fights which are typically the usual boring grinder type fight like most hardcore wrestlers. He does finish on occasion, but it's not the norm.

Chael makes the money he does because he sells PPVs and puts butts in the seats at events. Everyone regardless if they like him or not, want to know what he's going to say next. That to a promoter is gold in the bank. Doesn't matter if he loses every fight, as long as he runs his mouth and gets people talking, he's going to get paid.

tbi0904

Established Member
I hold both Jones and the UFC at fault. Yesterday was a cluster**** plain and simple. Dana was immature, they announced a fight that's not going to happen when they said it would (Machida-Jones 2) and quite frankly, the card was pretty weak. The UFC is the one that chose to cancel the card, they went through with the horrible Brazil card a couple months back. Why was this card any different? With that being said, Jones should've taken the fight. The UFC basically asked him to help them out and he thought of himself only. Lots of other guys have taken fights on short notice, I seem to remember an up and coming prospect from Endicott, NY who had just beaten Bader. I think his name was Jon Jones. What if Shogun said "no, I'll wait until Rashad is all healed up. I have a brand I need to maintain." Jones had a chance to be the hero and instead chose to reinforce why a lot of people don't like him. I'm a Jon Jones supporter and will continue to support him but he (and Greg Jackson) made a bad call yesterday.

mr2cam

Established Member
I hold both Jones and the UFC at fault. Yesterday was a cluster**** plain and simple. Dana was immature, they announced a fight that's not going to happen when they said it would (Machida-Jones 2) and quite frankly, the card was pretty weak. The UFC is the one that chose to cancel the card, they went through with the horrible Brazil card a couple months back. Why was this card any different? With that being said, Jones should've taken the fight. The UFC basically asked him to help them out and he thought of himself only. Lots of other guys have taken fights on short notice, I seem to remember an up and coming prospect from Endicott, NY who had just beaten Bader. I think his name was Jon Jones. What if Shogun said "no, I'll wait until Rashad is all healed up. I have a brand I need to maintain." Jones had a chance to be the hero and instead chose to reinforce why a lot of people don't like him. I'm a Jon Jones supporter and will continue to support him but he (and Greg Jackson) made a bad call yesterday.

Also Bisping fought Chael on 8 days notice, a lot of people forget that.. Even though I hate Bisping, at least he stepped up to the plate.. Unlike Jones.

96juicedGT

Established Member
I don't see whats to respect. He knows he can't win, only reason he took the fight is for publicity and cash. Only way he can stay relevant is to run his mouth.

He has lost at middle weight 5 times already. What sense does it make for him to move up a weight class and fight the top ranked guy in the world? I repeat, this is not the WWE. :smmon:

So you wouldn't respect a guy willing to step in to a fight against the top ranked guy in the world on very short notice? It's just the fact he was willing to give it a shot that I respect. I know he would've mot likely got destroyed. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain which makes it a dangerous fight for Jones. I just didn't think Jones would decline to fight someone considering the way he has ripped through most of his opponents.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Not only did he affect the other fighters on the card but he ruined my kick ass get together with the guys who's wives was going to let them out for this one night! Thanks Jones, now these guys are all stuck at home listening to thier wives for 5 seconds hoping for a Klondike Bar at the end!

Yellow03snake

Established Member
People will hate him no matter what. He can't win with majority of fans so it doesn't matter.

If he took the fight and destroyed Sonnen within 30 secs of the 1st round then he gets less respect for taking an "easy fight" with a lesser ranked none-contender. If Sonnen pulls out a miracle win and Jones loses than that invalidates his entire career cause he lost to a heavy underdog.

You can't blame the guy for wanting to fight TOP COMPETITION. His career thus far he has fault legends of the sport and former champs. There is nothing to be gained by fighting Sonnen and everything to lose.

Sonnen on the other hand gets a gift wrapped title shot, a whole bunch of publicity, street cred and a nice payday. He knows he would lose badly to jones. The only way he can stay relevant is to run his mouth. I would fight Jones too if it meant getting publicity and a payday.

It was a stupid fight and not good for the UFC. Its supposed to be a legitimate combat sport where you go through the ranks in your class in a quest for the title. The belt is meaningless if there is no contention process, this isn't the WWE. :bored:

Bologna

You think Liddell, BJ, Hughes, Randy etc would have pulled this back in the day?

Chuck would get in there today if he was asked.

JJ is one of the least popular fighters in the UFC, taking a fight against an out of shape 185er to SAVE an entire card would have gotten him some fans regardless of the outcome...MMA isn't boxing, a career isn't defined by 1 loss

Spade

Established Member
Jones should have taken the fight with whoever was put on the table. It's his job to do so as a champion. Like stated above, knock the guys head off if he can and if you gets beat he'll def come back better. I'd respect any champ way more if they take a fight like presented to Jones with Sonnen and lost than what he did. As for Jones getting beat, I think it will happen sooner than later. I feel he's not an Anderson. He's very good but no Anderson. JMO

The UFC is going nowhere. The people I know or hear talking about the fight sucking are the ones that were the biggest and badest fans 8-10 years ago. Some were the same guys that would brag about their BBJ training and whipping your ass in the cage when in total they took 5 classes and quit. Those are the same guys who couldnt tell you a top name, not to mention a top 5 guy, from another organiztion and probalby couldnt throw a hook. Those are the same guys that bitch when its a kick ass BBJ match. "Oh that fight sucked I want to see someone get knocked out!" Little do they know most knock outs are probably lucky shots. Learn the art of MMA and I guarentee you will love the sport.

As for the UFC having one big name fight and being watered down, for me I get more excited at times for the fights on FOX because of the fighters not being as well know. Those are the guy that would fight to the death if need be and take short notice fights.

One more thing I dont train and Im nowhere near an expert but I've watching UFC/MMA since the mid 90's. I watch(ed) UFC, WEC, Pride, Afflection, and Bellator and I enjoy them all. True the hype isnt there like the UFC and all the glits and glam is minimal campared but I've learned a lot and it makes me enjoy MMA that much more.

-Spade

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread