Universal Technical Institute

BEAVER09

I just go out of the military and was thinking of going back to College but I just don't have it in me, so I was thinking about UTI I have read some reviews on here some like it some don't and it cost to much, cost really isn't a worry seeing I have the GiBill. I was just trying to get some other perspectives on this. I.E. people that have gone, how the liked it, where they work now, and pay.

If you have been, are going now, or have first hand knowledge throw your .02 in. Thanks

69mach03

Established Member
I went to Wyotech - very similar to that of UTI. Good experience but very costly. What are you interested in doing as a career? They're basically going to teach you how to be a dealership technician. If that is what you're interested in doing, I would highly suggest getting a job at a local dealership and attending a local community college part time for some automotive classes. I spent over $23k to attend for 9 months, working at a dealership as an internet salesman and turn wrenches as a hobby -- exactly what I did BEFORE I went to Wyotech. It's a damn good experience, but unless you're looking to be a master tech in a dealership service dept or body shop -- is it really worth it?

Last edited:

BEAVER09

I notice a lot of people that don't like UTI or Whyo say they didn't learn anything but is that because you have been working on cars for a while or what?
For me I can change my oil and do some bolt on's with directions but I would have no clue how to drop a rear-end or motor, so that's why I was think about it, along with making some money doing something I liked.

Any one know what a dealership tech makes???

69mach03

Established Member
I notice a lot of people that don't like UTI or Whyo say they didn't learn anything but is that because you have been working on cars for a while or what?
For me I can change my oil and do some bolt on's with directions but I would have no clue how to drop a rear-end or motor, so that's why I was think about it, along with making some money doing something I liked.

It's going to depend on the area, what the dealership services, etc etc

But a walk on lube tech might make minimum wage - $11.00
After some time / training - $11.00 - $16.00
More certifications - $16.00 - $22.00
Master techs - $22.00+

These are some general numbers. I'm sure others will correct me on here.

I would take some business classes and look into being a service advisor.
Definitely a CLEAN, FUN, and WELL-PAYING job in a dealership.

Last edited:

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
I just go out of the military and was thinking of going back to College but I just don't have it in me, so I was thinking about UTI I have read some reviews on here some like it some don't and it cost to much, cost really isn't a worry seeing I have the GiBill. I was just trying to get some other perspectives on this. I.E. people that have gone, how the liked it, where they work now, and pay.

If you have been, are going now, or have first hand knowledge throw your .02 in. Thanks

The 4 people that I know that went to UTI said it was the biggest waste of time and money they've ever spent in their life... They teach you nothing and charge outrageous prices.. Imo just do it right and go back to 4 year school :shrug: You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member

depends on the dealership and your skill and position. anywhere from 20k/yr to 160k/yr.

BEAVER09

I don't need the social experience, I'm 28 and have been in the military for 10 yrs I think I'm good in that area. I'm going to learn something new.

BEAVER09

I'm trying to do research, it just seam a lot of people like to bash places they have never attended, so I'm trying to find people with first hand knowledge and see what they have to say.

If any of your friends are on SVT please ask them to chime in.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
I think a question that needs to be asked is, where do you see yourself after school? What do you want to do as a profession? This will help to determine the appropriate education, if any that is required. If you have the GI-Bill I would encourage you to get a quality education from an accredited Major University based on your career aspirations.

BEAVER09

I want to be happy with a job the will pay my bills and allow me to do something that interests me. So I would like to be making at least 50k in the next 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread