Unusual Bassani prob . . .

GF Scot

Established Member
Curious problem this one . . . I have a Bassani cat-back on my '03. Been installed just under a year. Last week, all the catalyst honeycomb shot out the back of the exhaust on one side of the system (the other side is still intact) accompanied by a loud rumble! I took the converter housing out and replaced it with the off-road tube and have sent the convertor housing back to Bassani for a replacement. The housing shows no sign of excess heat or impact. Really strange. I now have a half-off road system which sounds pretty good!

Two questions:

1) anyone had this problem with their Bassani and, 2) will prolonged running without a cat in one side cause engine problems?

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I don't know if anyone has tried running one side with cats, and one without. I'd just say screw it and take off the other one.

BigDaddy

Established Member
It will NOT harm your engine. --Not the best set up...but no harm will be done.

As far as Neighbors loving NO-Cat exhaust systems: You have to seriously rev your engine to cause any Cobra exhaust system (with Mufflers) to be overly loud. My Friends 03 with out cats and a Bassani system is very quiet at idle and cruise speeds below 2500rpm. At WOT it is Very loud.

Now my 68 dodge with its 440 and a solid cam was Neighbor Loving Loud at any RPM.

Hopefully Cobra owners dont annoy their neighbors by reving their engines all the time! :rollseyes

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by SaleenCobra
No cats and my neighbors love it. :thumbsup:
Yea, I am sure they do, I have the bassani setup as well and feared my cats were toast so I pulled em and put in the OR tubes, loud as hell!!

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Currently running that setup- one cat went bad (again, same side). I think it sounds MUCH better- go figure.

Bassani cats are good for about 1 year. At least they're gracious enough to crumble and fly out the tail pipe in a big cloud of gray dust and particles on there own :kaboom:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Ditch the cats...invest in earplugs and an amp for your stereo.

Bassani makes a very nice exhaust system, with very poor cats. I lost one here too. So I dropped them both.

Last edited:

GF Scot

Established Member
I have now run the one-cat system for a couple of weeks and the sound is fantastic but the fuel consumption is not . . . 14.3mpg!!! I don't understand why the consumption is increasing - no change in driving style. The Service Engine Soon light has gone out now too. Does the engine management system now re-set itself to a new setting after a period of time, ie. a lower oxygen content in the exhaust gas is being detected and the EMS is adjusting by increasing the fuel injected? What is consumption like with no cats?

Anyone know why consumption has gone up. . . ??:shrug:

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
Are these the Bassani cat's with the heat shields or are they the new bullit style cats???? Thanks

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
No WAY, bad cats?????

Mine came dislodged and were moving around and blocking the exhaust path. I would NOT drive around like for any length of time. When mine came undone I drove straight home and kept the rpm below 1700 and zero boost. A moved/melted element that is blocking the exhaust path causes massive backpressure and your likely to cause combustion gases to go down into the crankcase rather than out your exhaust... bye bye front and/or rear oil seals. I just ordered my 2nd set. You can get the replacements for $85/each or the new metal matrix replacements for $185 each. I was gonna post a pic but it looks like that option is gone..

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
If you want a catted xpipe that will last get yourself a catted Magnaflow xpipe. I had one on my 2002 GT for almost 2 years with out any problems. I have had this one on the cobra for about 4 months and have no problems so far. Basanni cats are known for this and is the reason that Steeda stopped selling them and switched to Magnaflow. The only reason I went catted is for the chance of getting caught for offroad exhaust which is a $5,000 fine :nonono:

GF Scot

Established Member
Richo . . . these are the original Bassani heat-shielded cats . . . I have sent them back to Anaheim for a warranty replacement as they were under a year old. I must admint thay I did not expect to have to pay ~$200 every year/ 18 months for exhaust maintenance when I bought the Bassani!

What are bullit style you refer to ? Should I not re-install the replacements and look for something better?

Jerryk . . . I agree about the backpressure, fortunately the cats shot out the back fairly early after they dislodged from the housing.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
GF Scot, about 6 months ago, Bassani went to a new bullet style replacement cat in the Cobra kit. It does not use a heat shield and looks smaller in design. I believe the new ones are made by Dynatech and called the Powercat's. See the link for a picture of what the look like: http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm
Magnaflow also sells replacement cat's for about $60 to $70 dollars a piece.

GF Scot

Established Member
Great, thanks for the lead, Richo. I have emailed Bassani requesting them to replace under warranty and to give me their technical view of the Dynotech compared to the original unit.

Lomancobra

Established Member
One of my cats went bad also, i took them both off, sounds much better.

Wouldnt having one cat disrupt the equilibrium of backpressure in the cylinders? In my opinion thats a bad idea, half the engine is choked up and half isnt. I'm not a pro, but that seems like it could cause some strain on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread