Upcoming timeframe on the next GT500 and speculation

krt22

Established Member
Ford needs to make the GT500 with well over the 707 mark. I say they need to rate it at a conservative 750 H.P. with actual output of closer to 800. That will be a tough to beat monster and people will literally open up their checkbooks for a car like that.

It will be plenty fast with 725-750 SAE HP. It just needs to eclipse the hell cat number and will be much faster considering it will weigh 500+lbs less.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
700+hp supercharged is definitely a no-go imo. With the strict requirements they have to meet for production vehicles, a supercharger isn't going to be the better option when you have plenty of turbo R&D available. With the new platform and IRS I think it would be smart to put a lot of focus on handling because that is also going to help you put the that kind of power down. Look at all these sports cars that are in the low to mid 600hp range like the ZO6, Viper, 911 Turbo, and they are all well balanced cars that can put the power down much better than the 13/14 GT500s that were mostly drag strip focused. A low, wide stance with some good 315 rear tires and a well tuned suspension would be a great start to harnessing all of that power. Manual trans is a must but I wouldn't mind seeing a paddle shifted 7 speed like in the FGT. I would love to see them take an all out approach and come up with some stupid performance numbers that rival some of the much higher end cars like the GTR.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Well this must be the start of the hype for the new GT500. The powers that be wouldn't have started a new forum if not. Details will start slowly leaking in the coming months. This is how it started for me last time, I started reading the 13+ GT500 forum and then ended up buying one.

These are the things I'm most interested in on the new 500:

Will carbon fiber wheels be an option at all or will they be specific to the 350R?
Voodoo based 5.2 or will Ford go with a wider bore spacing for more cubes (similar to the 6.2's 115mm)

I'll be honest, I miss the handling characteristics of the IRS I had in my '03 Cobra and I love the styling and more exotic look of the S550. If Ford goes 700+ with turbos it may be time to sell the car I never thought I would sell...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford doesn't usually pass on anniversary models, and the 50th for the debut of the GT500 is significant, not just because we have a '67 GT500 in the family.
Either Ford has been very secretive or stretched thin to make the GT succeed after recently launching the GT350, but I also feel passing on the 50th of the GT500 means they may be leaving the Shelby connection to bring back Cobra?
Either way, I'll take a lightened GT350 with a TT 5.0/5.2 with a beefy Tremec and auto option for a strip focus over the 350s track focus.
Fun speculation on what's next.
-J
:beer:

MysticRob

Established Member
It doesn't brother. A drag radial is required for traction even for the auto.

I'll tell you what, I sat front passenger seat in a 6M Hellcat Challenger today and those 275 Pirelli P Zero tires held pretty damn well in 2nd gear when the driver mashed it. I thought my heart stopped for a bit, the acceleration caused tunnel vision.

Great seats in 'em too. I was coming from a pullied and tuned Terminator, but this thing was a different monster going in a straight line even with the stock tires just a couple weeks off the dealer lot (no plates on it yet). I get the feeling it helps that it's a 4500lb monster with excellent chassis characteristics to help get that much power to the pavement.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford and GM develop to compete with it. I'd love to see the GT halo-car ecoboost V-6 in a much lighter GT500 chassis. I'd like to see Ford take the lead by doing a 180* and NOT striving for higher horsepower #s, but instead using their new Alcoa micromill deal to knocks 100s of pounds off its curb weight. Make it faster by making it way lighter and talking up that MPG that kicks the Hellcat's 13/22 MPG ass. GM is already well on its way with the Camaro using the much lighter Alpha platform borrowed from the Caddies. What's Ford gonna do?

Breitling

Established Member
Well this must be the start of the hype for the new GT500. The powers that be wouldn't have started a new forum if not. Details will start slowly leaking in the coming months. This is how it started for me last time, I started reading the 13+ GT500 forum and then ended up buying one.

These are the things I'm most interested in on the new 500:

Will carbon fiber wheels be an option at all or will they be specific to the 350R?
Voodoo based 5.2 or will Ford go with a wider bore spacing for more cubes (similar to the 6.2's 115mm)

I'll be honest, I miss the handling characteristics of the IRS I had in my '03 Cobra and I love the styling and more exotic look of the S550. If Ford goes 700+ with turbos it may be time to sell the car I never thought I would sell...

Same thing happened with me. I really liked the idea of the 550HP in the '11/'12 GT500s, but when the monster Shelby was released at 662, I just HAD to have one. I modded a gorgeous low-mileage '91 LX Coupe back in the day and it became no fun to drive once I had modded it too far. I was excited about a stock GT500 that had plenty of power, all the modern day conveniences and a full warranty.

I, too, thought I would never sell this car, but if Ford goes all out with the following then I'm in for a 2018 GT500:

- 315 rear tires
- Brembos at all four corners
- 720+ HP twin turbo V8

8gtoklr

Established Member
If Ford does well with its GT platform, It wouldnt be a stretch to see a more potent version of the Eco V6 as the new GT500 which could be lighter, faster dare I say nimble

LS Boss

Established Member
I saw this thread and thought I would throw something in it to get it started.

I have been running the Performance Division of Ray Skillman Ford for 11 years. I have been with Ford for 18 years.

The 2016 model year, ......

John Trischler
Ray Skillman Ford

John - do you realistically rule out that Ford will reintroduce a 2019 Ford Mustang Mach1 in the summer of 2018? Ford is big on hertiage and 2019 will be the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Mach1. We have seen this with the Boss, GT350, and the Ford GT. Ford also has a huge 50th anniversary of the Mustang recently and personally I think that Ford will keep this train going. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the reintroduction of a new 428ci Cobra Jet engine to compete with the Hellcat and Camaro big block? I think this is the direction Ford may go especially with Dave Pericak at the helm.

LS Boss

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Anyone who has been around long enough will be able to predict what they are going to do. I predict it will outsell the GT350 by at least 2:1.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have heard otherwise on some, but I think it would be a bad move on Ford's part to miss out on the 50th anniversary of:

1967 GT500
1968 GT500 KR
1969 Mach 1
Boss 302/351/429

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Why would Ford abandon the Trinity Engine? The motor has so much potential.

Albeit it loosely, it is still a derivative of their 90's 4.6/5.4 modular platform, time to retire that one.

I bet we'll see a coyote/roadrunner/voodoo variant. Wishful thinking would be a DOHC 6.2L variant. TT 6.2-6.5L would be a BEAST.

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
Albeit it loosely, it is still a derivative of their 90's 4.6/5.4 modular platform, time to retire that one.

I bet we'll see a coyote/roadrunner/voodoo variant. Wishful thinking would be a DOHC 6.2L variant. TT 6.2-6.5L would be a BEAST.

We can only watch. having said that, many folks have upgraded a trinity powered car to 1000 HP. The issue is mating that to a reliable drivetrain.

David Neibert

Established Member
I recall reading that the heads on the 5.0 Coyote motor were made with provisions for direct injection, which makes me think the next GT500 will be a twin turbo 5.0 with direct injection like the other ecoboost motors. I think 725 HP would be easier to make with a 5.0 Coyote based twin turbo than it was to get 662 HP from a supercharged 5.8 in the 13/14. Doesn't make much sense to use the high revving 5.2 flat plane motor, when turbocharging an aluminator version of the 5.0 will get you there a lot cheaper.

If the car remains IRS, I hope an automatic transmission is available, because putting down that much power with a manual transmission on the drag strip will be a challenge. I assume the wider tires and big brakes from the current GT350 would carry over to the GT500. If none of this happens but the motor, I'll still be getting one.

David

PS: I don't care what they call it either, Shelby, Cobra, GT500, Boss or whatever else they want to name it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Ford developed and tested the new GT without anybody hearing anything about it... so why not a mustang? If they are out testing or have been testing the new Cobra/Mach, they could be doing it in plain sight. Ya never know. But I do however think that it will be announced out of nowhere and it will be glorious. No question

Users who are viewing this thread