Upcoming timeframe on the next GT500 and speculation

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Ford doesn't usually pass on anniversary models, and the 50th for the debut of the GT500 is significant, not just because we have a '67 GT500 in the family.
Either Ford has been very secretive or stretched thin to make the GT succeed after recently launching the GT350, but I also feel passing on the 50th of the GT500 means they may be leaving the Shelby connection to bring back Cobra?
Either way, I'll take a lightened GT350 with a TT 5.0/5.2 with a beefy Tremec and auto option for a strip focus over the 350s track focus.
Fun speculation on what's next.
-J
:beer:

You don't think there's a chance Ford surprises us by sneaking a few very late 2017s in like they did with those very limited 2015 GT350s?

Same thing happened with me. I really liked the idea of the 550HP in the '11/'12 GT500s, but when the monster Shelby was released at 662, I just HAD to have one. I modded a gorgeous low-mileage '91 LX Coupe back in the day and it became no fun to drive once I had modded it too far. I was excited about a stock GT500 that had plenty of power, all the modern day conveniences and a full warranty.

I, too, thought I would never sell this car, but if Ford goes all out with the following then I'm in for a 2018 GT500:

- 315 rear tires
- Brembos at all four corners
- 720+ HP twin turbo V8

Agreed! I did the same thing with a highly modded Fox and had a number of resulting issues. The prospect of re-engineering/upgrading an entire car to keep up with the latest didn't seem very wise from a time or residual value perspective.

Why would Ford abandon the Trinity Engine? The motor has so much potential.

Trinity is a great motor but has weak rods if you're modding. Replacing those is very costly and time-consuming. Trinity also gives up higher-rpm power due to no variable cam timing, DOHC motors are perfect for VCT so it's a huge wasted opportunity to take advantage of the upside of DOHC. Also, over-rev is limited to 8-seconds due to piston speeds, I'd like a full-time redline of 7K. The oil pump drive gear fails at elevated power levels as well. Great engine but the Modulars are now outdated, they just leave too much on the table compared to what Voodoo is capable of. They made a ton of incremental improvements to Voodoo (head flow, valvetrain stability, etc.). If they made a 5.2 in cross-plane configuration (or even flat-plane) with more durable bottom-end components with boost and 720+ how would that not be more attractive than Trinity?

I recall reading that the heads on the 5.0 Coyote motor were made with provisions for direct injection, which makes me think the next GT500 will be a twin turbo 5.0 with direct injection like the other ecoboost motors. I think 725 HP would be easier to make with a 5.0 Coyote based twin turbo than it was to get 662 HP from a supercharged 5.8 in the 13/14. Doesn't make much sense to use the high revving 5.2 flat plane motor, when turbocharging an aluminator version of the 5.0 will get you there a lot cheaper.

If the car remains IRS, I hope an automatic transmission is available, because putting down that much power with a manual transmission on the drag strip will be a challenge. I assume the wider tires and big brakes from the current GT350 would carry over to the GT500. If none of this happens but the motor, I'll still be getting one.

David

PS: I don't care what they call it either, Shelby, Cobra, GT500, Boss or whatever else they want to name it doesn't matter to me.

The cost of engine development for the 5.2 is already largely taken care of so making tweaks to that engine makes sense from a business perspective. Hameedi said Voodoo was the biggest engine program in SVT history so there's that.

A freaking wet-dream engine would be a shorter-deck version of the 6.2 in aluminum with its 115-mm bore spacing (5.4-5.8 liter displacement) fed by twins. From my understanding the blocks are made at a 3rd party foundry already, as are the bare heads so a clean-sheet engine in low-volumes could be feasible from a cost perspective. In reality it's probably pie-in-the-sky but would be an amazing surprise.

It will be interesting to see how they get 720+ from a Coyote/Voodoo based engine if that's the route they choose.

conceptmachine

Established Member
I'm thinking 5.2 standard crank( crate motor already available thru ford performance).
With ecoboost strapped on it!!

Personally, don't care what they put in it as long as it
1: Handles the power ☆ fully forged internals
2: 725 hp min.
3: No ADM
4: more color and stripe combinations
5: Drop it in 2017 MY, Late availabilty, yes, late this year!!! I'm not getting any younger

I don't care if this thing costs 100K. Advertise it as 100K MSRP, and THEN under the table give the darn dealers 10 or 20K, that way it's a hidden ADM and I can at least say I didn't pay it. I won't give them dealers 1 dime extra (knowingly) no matter how great it is.
The new mid engine vette will be here then...and Dodge will finally be done with that challenger body (thank god). Wonder if they will stuff that hellcat motor in the new cuda. The road is long...many good cars yet to be seen. Ford better get this thing out quick, the ZL1 will be here before it, which is probably a strategy of Fords

Last edited:

conceptmachine

Established Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford and GM develop to compete with it. I'd love to see the GT halo-car ecoboost V-6 in a much lighter GT500 chassis. I'd like to see Ford take the lead by doing a 180* and NOT striving for higher horsepower #s, but instead using their new Alcoa micromill deal to knocks 100s of pounds off its curb weight. Make it faster by making it way lighter and talking up that MPG that kicks the Hellcat's 13/22 MPG ass. GM is already well on its way with the Camaro using the much lighter Alpha platform borrowed from the Caddies. What's Ford gonna do?

They will do this later, in 4 years, they will dethrone the hellcat for HP first. The new GT500 WILL have more HP and it will be fast...real fast. Maybe not an auto, but in M6, it will hit 10's, I'm certain, and not on drag radials, but on street tires.

Man, I went to the ford dealer today hoping he'd take my MSRP cash for a 350, but now after all of the 500 talk, I'll wait and have a 197 and 550 in the garage!!!

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I am convinced it's gonna be a version of the 5.0 with a TT. And I am ok with that. Use that aluminum body, throw mag ride stuff, independent rear and 315 tires...gonna be a beast

I will be in line for one

04svtsnke

Established Member
I'm thinking 5.2 standard crank( crate motor already available thru ford performance).
With ecoboost strapped on it!!

Personally, don't care what they put in it as long as it
1: Handles the power ☆ fully forged internals
2: 725 hp min.
3: No ADM
4: more color and stripe combinations
5: Drop it in 2017 MY, Late availabilty, yes, late this year!!! I'm not getting any younger

I don't care if this thing costs 100K. Advertise it as 100K MSRP, and THEN under the table give the darn dealers 10 or 20K, that way it's a hidden ADM and I can at least say I didn't pay it. I won't give them dealers 1 dime extra (knowingly) no matter how great it is.
The new mid engine vette will be here then...and Dodge will finally be done with that challenger body (thank god). Wonder if they will stuff that hellcat motor in the new cuda. The road is long...many good cars yet to be seen. Ford better get this thing out quick, the ZL1 will be here before it, which is probably a strategy of Fords

george-of-the-jungle.gif

Man dealers are going to nut over this like the dealers are for the hellcat. No way that there won't be a minimum 5-10k adm. I agree with every of your points besides number 5. I'm thinking next year for sure to give the 350 some spotlight.

conceptmachine

Established Member
george-of-the-jungle.gif

Man dealers are going to nut over this like the dealers are for the hellcat. No way that there won't be a minimum 5-10k adm. I agree with every of your points besides number 5. I'm thinking next year for sure to give the 350 some spotlight.[/QUOTE

Only differnce is, this will actually be worth it (even with adm)! I thought about the hellcat some time ago. I just couldn't do it...the build quality is crap and the problematic thread on hellcat forum scared the dew dew out of me. Figure I don't need a headache.
I could get them under msrp 6 plus months ago. They are going everywhere now for msrp and below. I'd rather have a gt350 for street presence than a hellcat...even with it slower. The 350 is just bad to the bone. Looks like a flowing piece of art. When ford delivers the news, hellcat will be forgotten. This s550 with all the suspension goodies, brakes and 725 hp stock with ability to tune to 850 with a tuner... lol. Yeah, probably start in the 70s though and top out in high 70s, I'm in for 1 regardless...prefer one without adm...but might toss a couple grand their way.

Falc'man

Turbo? WHAT turbo?
Established Member
Beefier cylinder walls for much, much boost.... (4.7 litre) 289ci Ecoboost V8.
The smaller capacity would also help with retaining the FPC and it's 8k+ redline, although that wouldn't be necessary.

HighTorque

Established Member
that would be awesome, but don't think i could part with my 14 shelby though. I simply love the car

i am in the same boat. First shelby ever after being a mustang fan since childhood and i was lucky enough to get it off the showroom floor. But i want more powa!!! And if i can get that with a warranty im all in.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Announce the thing already Ford!! Enough thumb twittering!! Can you do us a favor though? Make it a lottery system with no ADM's. I'm sick of the game!! I'd rather have a fair shot at no adm than a slim shot at 10k over!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Announce the thing already Ford!! Enough thumb twittering!! Can you do us a favor though? Make it a lottery system with no ADM's. I'm sick of the game!! I'd rather have a fair shot at no adm than a slim shot at 10k over!

Unfortunately for consumers...won't happen.

Last edited:

conceptmachine

Established Member
Exactly, why cut into their own sales? I'm leaning toward getting a 350 but as soon as the 500 drops I'd ditch the 350 in short fashion. That right there would be 1 less 350 sale if they announced a 500 right now...I wouldn't get the 350 at all. Same thing with lots of buyers. Just like someone stated earlier...sales would be 2:1 in favor of a gt500.

Breitling

Established Member

That's why I'll just wait until the hype dies down and pick one up under MSRP. That's what I did with my '14.

Users who are viewing this thread