Update on my year old dead Shelby and a question

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
I posted a year ago that my 2011 GT500 had quit on me and prior to that had made multiple threads trying to diagnose why it had some weird issues.

It had bizarre problems ranging from randomly running rough, throttle body not working, engine going into fail safe, and finally cranking but not starting.

Once my disgust with the whole experience wore off I had the car towed to a good shop in town and he found the problem very quick. The crank pulley had been installed wrong by another shop. My current mechanics theory is that they used bolts that were too long which caused the crank snout to break but it was held together by the main bolt or something to that effect. Over time the pulley started to wobble which caused all of my issues. Finally the wobble took the crank sensor out entirely. Just posting this so people can be careful who they trust with work like this. Even something seemingly easy as a crank pulley install.

I'm getting a built shortblock put in so I will have the seemingly intact (minus crank snout) old shortblock to sell. Any advice on what a fair market value might be?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Glad to hear things are working out for you, a lot of the motor failures it seems have to do with the crank/after market balancer. Coincidence? Who knows but I'm leaving mine alone, 17psi on pump gas is enough.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Glad to hear things are working out for you, a lot of the motor failures it seems have to do with the crank/after market balancer. Coincidence? Who knows but I'm leaving mine alone, 17psi on pump gas is enough.

Nothing wrong with adding a lower..mine has been on for 2 years and tons of dyno and track runs...all about install and mechanical ability. Nobody touches my car besides me.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Yeah, this was definitely an install error. What trips me out is that it was installed when the car had less than 1000 miles on it. I bought it already broken and it gave me 18,000 miles before a failure. Pretty tough...

moncho

Established Member
This certainly gives me the pucker affect as I'm thinking about replacing the lower since I have an '07. Really don't trust it with anyone else. Many here have done it and been successful as Jay mentioned. Seems like when something like this happens businesses clean their hands of taking any responsibility. Have you tried to engage them at all? Really sorry for your misfortune. However it seems like you have things moving along with a new build.

Best of luck!!
Ray

Last edited:

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
This certainly gives me the pucker affect as I'm thinking about replacing the lower since I have an '07. Really don't trust it with anyone else. Many here have done it and been successful as Jay mentioned. Seems like when something like this happens businesses clean their hands of taking any responsibility. Have you tried to engage them at all? Really sorry for your misfortune. However it seems like you have things moving along with a new build.

Best of luck!!
Ray

I think engaging the shop that did the work would be a waste of time. I'm just going to get it all fixed up by a shop I know does top notch work and forget about it.

As far as you getting a lower....I would just make sure the shop that does the work is extremely familiar with Mustangs and well established. I bought my car with 1000 miles on it and 90% of the mods (including the lower) already installed. The previous owner took it too a shop that was brand new in town and no telling who the mechanic was or his previous experience.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Glad to hear shes coming back to life! Incredible to me that ANYONE could screw up a balanacer install. did it fail because it wasnt torqued to the crank properly? Id also have the heads and valves checked out to make sure the chains didnt jump and screw up valve timing.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Glad to hear shes coming back to life! Incredible to me that ANYONE could screw up a balanacer install. did it fail because it wasnt torqued to the crank properly? Id also have the heads and valves checked out to make sure the chains didnt jump and screw up valve timing.

Fortunately the guy working on my car is brilliant because he is sending the heads off for that exact purpose. I would never have thought of it myself! I'm not sure we will ever know exactly what they messed up on the install or how they managed it.

Users who are viewing this thread