Updated info on my car: Damage report

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Talked to the guy that did the estimate today. The number? $17,000 :eek: THat's assuming that there is no drivetrain damage. Since I hit so hard on the front, it screwed up the motor mounts and the front subframe, the engine is kinda sitting oddly, so no one knows if it or the tranny got messed up. Since Progressive puts a lifetime warranty on any repairs they make, they are trying to make a decision on totalling it. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning at present. On the one hand, I don't want a neverending headache, but on the other hand, now that I'm self-employed, I don't know if I can get another loan :(

Anyway, just needed to get that off of my chest.

lethal

Established Member
Let them rebuild it. See how you like it after, you can always sell it. About the lifetime warranty thing, what exactly do you mean? parts / labor, I mean they are not going to give you some sort of unlimited warranty on mileage...

Anyhow, nice to see you back, I did not jump in on the last post. Welcome back.

John

DimMaK

Banned
The car will never be the same. I would say some prayers at night in hopes that it is totaled. Then you can get yourself a new 04. :thumbsup:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya it sounds like a lot of damage man. I would hope they total it to tell you the truth. I mean you could pick a barely used 03 dirt cheap these days. You might even have some extra $$ for mods, who knows?

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Originally posted by DimMaK
The car will never be the same. I would say some prayers at night in hopes that it is totaled. Then you can get yourself a new 04. :thumbsup:

Ditto. Trust me, after an accident of that magnitude there is no way they can fix it like new. Take the money and run. :-D

stang99

I am still waiting to see how things come out for you. It does appear that a clean used 03 will not be ultra expensive (based upon what they were willing to give me for mine on a trade), so, if they total your car, you may be able to get another Cobra at a reasonable price. At least you are insured. I hope that your Cobra saga is not over. Mine nearly was, but I got a strange reprieve, and, I have to admit, I am feeling lucky, since it turned out that I really missed the car, immediately.

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
I would hope they total it just for the fact that if/when you do sell it, it'll be worth a lot less icne it's been in such a big accident, plus there will be never ending problems with the type of damage you're talking about. good luck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree about hoping they total it. With that amount of damage there is no way the car will ever be the same. Let me ask you this. Let's say you went to your dealer and wanted to order a 2004 Cobra. Your dealer tells you the SVT factory won't be able to get you one for 5 months, but they could build you one from a wrecked '03 out back in 2 months. So, which would you take? Makes you think a bit, doesn't it?
:idea:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Yea, I would be hoping (and pushing) for a total, except if they total it, I'm not sure I can get another loan, even for a used 03 (26K). Like I said, I'm newly self-employed, not sure anyone's going to loan me any $$.

As for the Progressive warranty, SUPPOSEDLY, if any problems caused by the accident crop up, regardless of time or mileage, they will pay to have it repaired. That's how it was explained to me, anyways.

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
As for the Progressive warranty, SUPPOSEDLY, if any problems caused by the accident crop up, regardless of time or mileage, they will pay to have it repaired. That's how it was explained to me, anyways.

that's what they say.. but how can you prove that its from the accident? and not from just wear and tear... who knows what will happen and if they'll try to screw you... just something to think about. but I'm pretty sure you can get a car loan... you might not get the rate you want... but you'll get one.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Car loans are pretty easy to get. The only question [IMO] would be the interest rate. If you got enough out of the setlement to pay off your car and you had a decent down payment, you could swing a used '03.

But why worry about it? The decision is in the insurance company's hands unless it's really close money wise. So just wait and go with the flow. If they do total it, see what they'll sell it to you for. You might be able to part it out and make some $ that way. If it's fixed, make them refix anything that isn't right and then enjoy it again.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I ran a body shop some time ago I would total it. Buy a used 03 take off any mods and keep them with you because they will not pay for any of that anyway. The going rated seems to be to costly to keep the car for parts. If you ever listened to anything anyone says let it go! and get a used 03 if your touch and go on the car loan due to self employed. What am I saying gees with the rebates and ford encentives you probably get a new 03 easyier than a used one with Ford credit. Maybe even go to the same dealer.

Best of luck

And if you need help dealing with the ins adj and totaling pm me And I will help

noslo50

Established Member
You might also want to bring up the point that your car even after repair will have sufered a considerable loss in value, Which they should also compensate you for. Just a thought. Jerry

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Yes there are many ways to get them to total the car. Becuase the salvage title on a car makes it worth squat. Even ones with light damage and they have photos nothing to say about how bad yours was.

Ratt Fink

Established Member
Mine had slightly less damage than yours, and was totaled. I really loved the Sonic Blue and it hurts bad, but I believe that I would NEVER have been made happy with the repairs if it had been fixed. Of course, I bought mine back at about $8K and may just be able to get it made into a racer !!!

I hope that whatever happens turns out the best for YOU !!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Yea, if they total it, I might try to buy it back and see about swapping everything into a Fox, especially if they only ask for 5-8K for it. Heck, I could even sell the parts and come out ahead that way. I was thinking about trying a Miata swap, but I think that's just going to be too much $$$ to be worth it.

We shall see. You guys have got me feeling much better about the situation though, I'm not too worried about getting a loan now.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I would lean towards totalling it, and hope they total it.

When my 99 Cobra Vert was totalled, I went through the same thing. Damage estimate was $18k. And they were trying to fix it. I kept pressing on them not to because of depreciation after an accident, it never running right again, etc. So they totalled it. And that worked out SO good for me, it was un believable!

On Jan 11, 2003, the car was totalled with $36k miles and the insurance company gave me $26500 for it!! If I ever tried to private sell it, I wouldnt have been able to swing more than $17k before it was totalled and definitely not much more than $12-13k if not.

Point is, I made out so good on that, I could pay of all my debts, and buy my 03. Cobras ticket out pretty good if totalled (usually), so ya never know. Might just get a nice hefty down payment for a new car and they can never decline a loan on that.

Users who are viewing this thread