Upgrade Fuel System

mavado007

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering with the mods I'm currently running if I'll need to upgrade my stock Fuel System. At what point does the stock fuel system become inefficient? I don't want to just blow money, Below are my mods:

LFP 2.93 Upper
LFP 4# Lower
Diablo Sport Tune
LFP 10'' Powerstack CAI
Accufab TB
LFP Ported and Polished Eaton
Mid Length Headers
Bassani Mid Pipes W/Cats
Bassani Catback Exhaust
LFP Heat Exchanger

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, you're at the borderline area. I had to upgrade my fuel system at just under 500rwhp. That included pumps and a modified meter. I didn't upgrade the injectors, although if I had kept the car I would have. Every car is different. I was at the low end of the curve. It seems that most start having to mod their fuel system at the 515-530rwhp level. Best thing I can tell you is do one of two things.
1. If you plan on modding the motor beyond where you are now consider upgrading your pumps (or BAP), injectors and meter now and be done with it. Then you'll be safe for the future.
2. Or you can monitor your fuel with every mod and when you start to run out of fuel start upgrading at that point. I tend to be conservative and would lean towards doing #1 now. And doing it now might save you the hassle of scrambling at the least opportune time as happened with me. LOL!

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
If you are not running a fuel pressure gauge, it's time to put it in and watch what happens under full boost. That'll tell yu when it's time for more fuel. Do it on the dyno and look at the A/F ratio across the RPM range.

mavado007

Established Member
Great advice, I appreciate your input. I will be down and it's a great time to do it because I don't think I'll be stopping my mods. What pumps do you suggest and what size injectors? I plan to be pushing 550 in the near future.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd go with 55lb. injectors and twin Focus pumps or a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump (BAP).

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Consider the Apten fuel line upgrade, also a MAFextender from mjchip. I suggest 60's and a bap, leave the stock pumps. BAP, fuel line, inj and mafxtender will support 700.

mavado007

Established Member
postban said:
Consider the Apten fuel line upgrade, also a MAFextender from mjchip. I suggest 60's and a bap, leave the stock pumps. BAP, fuel line, inj and mafxtender will support 700.

Are you meaning the fuel rails? Also, is the MAFextender the SCT Big Air MAF, whose MAFextender are you using? What's a good injector to go with? I hear Siemens Deka is good. Thanks!

Bob,

What's a twin focus pump, this is the first time i've heard of that.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
mavado007 said:
Are you meaning the fuel rails? Also, is the MAFextender the SCT Big Air MAF, whose MAFextender are you using? What's a good injector to go with? I hear Siemens Deka is good. Thanks!

Bob,

What's a twin focus pump, this is the first time i've heard of that.
Twin Focus pumps are two Focus pumps installed to replace the single Cobra pump. Greater capacity and a popular option. BAP is another popular choice, or a combination of the two.

The MAFxtender is not the SCT Big Air MAF. Two different products entirely. The SCT is a direct replacement of the meter. The MAFxtender is an electronics modification that does the same thing. The MAFxtender would be my personal choice.

WDW MKR

Established Member
With your power level, a BAP would be much easier and just as productive as the focus pumps. Personally, I'd go with BAP, 60lb injectors, and upgraded fuel pump wiring. You really don't need the upgraded line at your power level. If you eventually go for more power, you can always add the larger lines down the road.

GTE

Established Member
Wings65288 said:
Wheres the cheapest place to get a BAP?

More like "How do you get a BAP?"

I have been calling Kenne Bell for the last three business days & it is either busy or it rangs for a while, goes to a busy signal & then hangs up.

Makes me lean towards a Whipple even more. Between this & my brothers KB customer experience with his KB'd 98 Cobra, I am not to impressed with their service.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Twin Focus pumps are two Focus pumps installed to replace the single Cobra pump...

oops.....Cobras already have dual pumps (119 LPH each) :poke:

Focus SVT pumps each flow 143 LPH

I agree with Dave...leave the stock pumps in place, do the other fuel mods, BAP and extend your MAF range by whatever method you want

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
GTE said:
More like "How do you get a BAP?"

I have been calling Kenne Bell for the last three business days & it is either busy or it rangs for a while, goes to a busy signal & then hangs up.

Makes me lean towards a Whipple even more. Between this & my brothers KB customer experience with his KB'd 98 Cobra, I am not to impressed with their service.
Here you go bro I saw this and I thought of you, I'm not sure if this price is good or not but it's what your looking for. http://forums.modularpowerhouse.com/showthread.php?t=16082

Users who are viewing this thread