Upgrades when pulling engine?

Joel Eddmann

Established Member
Hey guys!

I am new to this forum and have a quick question, but also want to get opinions. I recently believe I blew a head gasket on my 1999 Cobra. As I will already have my engine apart and pulled, what are some parts I should replace on the engine if I am looking to upgrade to a supercharger in the future?

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's kind of a loaded question. Do you have a goal in mind? Dyno queen, street bruiser, track whore, etc. Also what's the budget?

For the basics.... if nothing else is damaged all you need is upgraded rods and pistons. The crank and block will support more than what 99% of us will ask of them. Get them cleaned up and you should be good. More than likely the block and heads will need to be decked. They warp pretty easily when overheated. For the heads get them decked, valve job, and new seals. Maybe new springs depending on your plans. Stock cams will get you over 600hp with no issue. Don't go below 9:1 compression. I ran my last set up at 9.5:1.

This is just the engine stuff. You'll need to think about the rest of the supporting stuff eventually.

Joel Eddmann

Established Member
That's kind of a loaded question. Do you have a goal in mind? Dyno queen, street bruiser, track whore, etc. Also what's the budget?

For the basics.... if nothing else is damaged all you need is upgraded rods and pistons. The crank and block will support more than what 99% of us will ask of them. Get them cleaned up and you should be good. More than likely the block and heads will need to be decked. They warp pretty easily when overheated. For the heads get them decked, valve job, and new seals. Maybe new springs depending on your plans. Stock cams will get you over 600hp with no issue. Don't go below 9:1 compression. I ran my last set up at 9.5:1.

This is just the engine stuff. You'll need to think about the rest of the supporting stuff eventually.
Down the road what will be some other supporting upgrades?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Suspension mods, upgraded clutch, upgraded trans, IRS bushings and half shafts, fuel system, bigger MAF.

Now granted when I went crazy on my 01 I kept the stock 3650 for a long time. But that set up never saw the track and I didn't do 4k clutch dumps. I usually rolled out in first, shifted to second, then punched it. I was also using a stock 04 Cobra clutch. So I'm sure that helped with the shock to the drivetrain. Eventually I put in a T-56 with the same clutch. The only drivetrain part I ended up killing was a stock 01 half shaft. I grenaded the inner CV on a hard 2-3 shift getting on the freeway.

Joel Eddmann

Established Member
Suspension mods, upgraded clutch, upgraded trans, IRS bushings and half shafts, fuel system, bigger MAF.

Now granted when I went crazy on my 01 I kept the stock 3650 for a long time. But that set up never saw the track and I didn't do 4k clutch dumps. I usually rolled out in first, shifted to second, then punched it. I was also using a stock 04 Cobra clutch. So I'm sure that helped with the shock to the drivetrain. Eventually I put in a T-56 with the same clutch. The only drivetrain part I ended up killing was a stock 01 half shaft. I grenaded the inner CV on a hard 2-3 shift getting on the freeway.
I will definitely keep all this in mind! Also a quick question I am almost 80% sure it’s a head gasket leak but not for sure. My thermostat failed going 80 mph on the highway and I didn’t see the temp go up until it was all the way up in the red. After replacing the thermostat and filling up with coolant I had no issues for over 2 weeks. I started having minor overheating issues for a day or two but then stopped. It hasn’t over heated in over a month and a half. Is it possible I had a leak and then someone some debree plugged it or something? I think my coolant level is starting to go down a tiny bit. Also every no and then when its cold I get more some in the exhaust then I usually should but this is only intermittent.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess would be you had an air bubble in the system that worked it's way out. That would also cause the coolant level to drop. I would do a leak down test and see what it says.

The white smoke when it's cold is just condensation in the pipes. As long as it goes away you're ok.

Joel Eddmann

Established Member
My guess would be you had an air bubble in the system that worked it's way out. That would also cause the coolant level to drop. I would do a leak down test and see what it says.

The white smoke when it's cold is just condensation in the pipes. As long as it goes away you're ok.
The reason I am thinking it’s a head gasket leak is because the smoke does not really go away. Also the coolant level has started to drop slowly over the past few days, but has been fine the past month.

shurur

Established Member
check your lower intake to see whether it was swapped in the recall.
My intake was never swapped with a new intake on the recall....."the fix"
I just got a mach 1 intake after 11 years.
you are in there now; so you might as well check it.

Users who are viewing this thread