Upgrading clutch, but question about transmission

tennis_pr0

Established Member
I have a 14 Gt pushing 620 to the wheels. I am on the stock clutch and it's slipping a little, so definitely gonna upgrade the clutch. I also have a one piece driveshaft so I'm good there. My question is, should I consider doing something with the transmission? Like an upgrade or even a swap. How much power can the MT82 hold? I am never going to drag the car and drive it pretty easy. Hard to believe with a 600+ HP car but I just like driving it daily and getting on it from a roll sometimes. Should I be concerned about the stock transmission? I would like to just throw a clutch and flywheel in it and call it a day but if it's highly recommended to do something with the transmission at my power level then I would. Again, I don't drag so no hard launches really ever. Thanks in advance.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
you can push the trans pretty far, at that power, your def going to want a nice exedy or mcleod clutch, let me know if we can help at all

tennis_pr0

Established Member
you can push the trans pretty far, at that power, your def going to want a nice exedy or mcleod clutch, let me know if we can help at all

Wanted to go with the exedy stage 4 but I was told by someone at American muscle that wouldn't handle my power? I'm at about 600 to the rear wheels. I like the exedy because it seems prices nice and it comes with the throw out bearing as well. Would this clutch be good for my power levels?

kdaly

Established Member
Ive got the mcleod rxt and its a mother****er for a daily driver. I wouldnt not recommend. I like the stock unit better for around town driving or traffic.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
So given that I will never be drag racing and not gonna be really doing any extreme launches, what clutch should I go with for my power level that would be a good daily driver. Maybe the exedy stage 3 for what I'm looking for?

centerforce

Established Member
Our Dual Friction would work well for your current setup, and wont break the bank! The friction disc uses both a full and puck-style face to give you a high holding capacity, while keeping the engagement smooth for street driving.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Ive got the mcleod rxt and its a mother****er for a daily driver. I wouldnt not recommend. I like the stock unit better for around town driving or traffic.

Really? I thought my RXT was pretty good. Felt a c hair stiffer than my stock, but not by much at all. Sometimes slipping it was alittle weird, not as nice feeling as the stock clutch.

kdaly

Established Member
Really? I thought my RXT was pretty good. Felt a c hair stiffer than my stock, but not by much at all. Sometimes slipping it was alittle weird, not as nice feeling as the stock clutch.

It works well but it has no place being in a daily driver from my experience. Its a third as stiff as the stock one but the engagement lacks finess like stock one. You can slip the stock one and drive without thinking or chattering. The RXT you think about at all times and needs the rev's up. So if you have a TIAL BOV or loud exhaust your making your presence known at all times. Not so great for a dd

SCalla1384

Established Member
It works well but it has no place being in a daily driver from my experience. Its a third as stiff as the stock one but the engagement lacks finess like stock one. You can slip the stock one and drive without thinking or chattering. The RXT you think about at all times and needs the rev's up. So if you have a TIAL BOV or loud exhaust your making your presence known at all times. Not so great for a dd

Got ya, I agree with you. It did chatter quite a bit for me also. Twin discs definitely have their pros, but on a mostly street driven car, a single disc is the way to go. I absolutely love the feel of my stock clutch. Even at 7600 it shifts smooth. My stock clutch on my 13 would not disengage after 7000. Weird how hit or miss factory units can be.

Users who are viewing this thread