upper control arms for solid rear axle...

shadowcoupe

I bought the MM lower control arms awhile back, and I also purchased the Ford Racing upper control arms, which are basically just stock replacements...
The bushings in these uppers are way too soft I think..

What are the best uppers to run on the street, and the occasional track?

btw, this thing is about to be put in, Im just making a last minute decision...thx!

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I have BBK upper and lower with poly bushings and have no complaints.

It hasn't seen the track yet but i hook like no other.

shadowcoupe

I have BBK upper and lower with poly bushings and have no complaints.

It hasn't seen the track yet but i hook like no other.

my solid axle build is Postban's build btw..

my question is should I keep the stock uppers with the squishy bushing, or get something that has a firmer bushing like the lowers? i also put firmer bushings for the uppers on the axle side too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jroc

Established Member
4link FTL! For a Straight axle I recommend the no upper control arm option. I would go with some good lower control arms, a torque arm, and a panhard bar or watts link and convert it to a 3link. JMO.

The ultimate rear suspension for your Mustang is now available from Maximum Motorsports. Installing the MM Torque-arm will greatly improve your four-link suspension by converting it to a three-link design. Your car will have vastly improved traction, both in a straight line and when exiting corners. Your car will be much more stable and predictable, and you can get on the throttle sooner and harder while accelerating out of a corner.

In the stock four-link design, the rear upper control arms are trying to do two jobs at once. One is to control axle wind-up, the other is to locate the axle side to side. When pushed to the performance limit, the upper control arms don’t do either job very well. Our Torque-arm suspension system separates the functions of the suspension components—each component has only one job, and is designed to perform that one function with no compromises. The MM Torque-arm controls axle rotation much better than the upper control arms. In addition, the Panhard Bar has the sole job of locating the axle side to side, which it also does better than the upper control arms. The lower control arms primarily have the job of thrusting the car forward under acceleration. The MM Torque-arm suspension system allows complete removal of the rear upper control arms and the quad shocks. The resulting three-link design will articulate freely, even during extreme cornering, acceleration and braking.

The free-moving three-link design has so much more traction that the grip at the front of the car will now be the limiting factor (understeer). You should now raise the rear spring rate to increase the rear roll resistance, which takes some cornering load off the front. To meet your needs, Maximum Motorsports has determined the rear spring to match your front spring rate (see Spring Rate Table). These selected rear springs will give you better handling and improved ride quality with your MM Torque-arm suspension system.

When we sat down to design our Torque-arm, we listened to what our customers wanted. The three issues we heard mentioned time and again were concerns about ground clearance, exhaust clearance, and access to the differential cover. You talked, we listened! Compared to other Torque-arms, Maximum Motorsports’ has over one inch greater ground clearance, nearly one inch more exhaust clearance, and allows complete access to the differential cover.

The MM Torque-arm fits 1979-2004 Mustangs with an 8.8" solid axle. Use MMTA-1,3, or 5 for rectangular subframe connectors, or MMTA-2,4, or 6 for round subframe connectors. The difference is the brackets which weld to the subframe connectors.

Our Standard Torque-arm is rated for engine torque levels of 330 to 590 lb-ft, and our Heavy Duty Torque-arm is rated for engine torque levels of 475 to 900 lb-ft. These ratings depend on the differential gear ratio (see Engine Torque Table).

Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension

Griggs Racing Products

EDIT: I hate it how MM site takes you to the home page instead of the exact thing your trying to post. Griggs makes nice products, but MM will cost you quite a bit less.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I'm with JROC. If you are even asking about uppers on a quadrabind setup, you need to do more homework on it. The correct answer is NO UPPERS. That is, of course, unless you like tearing apart arms and torque boxes because the suspension CAN'T NOT bind when all four arms are used.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
My 96 Cobra has Mega Bite Jr's and stock uppers. I also have the quad shocks, but I've taken them off to see what would happen and either way I have no wheel hop.

My tuners car runs 9's and he has stock uppers too.

Users who are viewing this thread