upper pulley !!!

faisal92

Established Member
hi guys ,, i received my upper pulley 2.396 and the 90 idler for my 2013 shelby but i am little confused about the belt slipping ,,do i need to get thump rrr racing !!! if i need it i will switch to lower pulley because the upper will cost me totally 700 $ with idler and thump and it just give me 2-3 psi !!!

i appreciate your opinion

regards

BOD89LX

Established Member
I run that set up and seems to work properly, I have yet to see any belt dust anywhere on the front of the motor.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I assume (and hope) that you didn't just get a pulley- you also got a tune

USV8PWR

Established Member
I run that set up and seems to work properly, I have yet to see any belt dust anywhere on the front of the motor.

Idiot questions....so BOD89LX, what's this about dust on the front of the motor? What are the signs you will notice if you have belt slippage?

Chris...so a tune is necessary with a pulley change? No, I haven't changed mine. Just curious as to why that's important. I'm guessing more boost equals more fuel needed which is not automatic without a tune.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Idiot questions....so BOD89LX, what's this about dust on the front of the motor? What are the signs you will notice if you have belt slippage?

Chris...so a tune is necessary with a pulley change? No, I haven't changed mine. Just curious as to why that's important. I'm guessing more boost equals more fuel needed which is not automatic without a tune.

No idiot questions. It's a common question

A tune is needed when changing a pulley. Well I guess you dont have to do one- but I'd you value your motor you do lol

BOD89LX

Established Member

If you are getting belt slip you will start to see some black rubber(belt) dust on the front of the motor in area near the top pulley, I had some on my 2012 with a 2.6" pulley and just a larger Idler pulley. On my 13 I did the Metco tensioner set up. Sorry OP I thoght you ment the add on tensioner not the larger idler pulley which I had on my 12 and did have some belt slip.

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Don't waste your time with the 90mm idler below the coolant bracket and keep the stock idler pulley. The 90mm pulley caused me nothing but issues until i went back to stock. Use either the Metco or Steeda adjustable idlers.

Hourigan218

Established Member
Why worry about the idlers or new tensioners, just buy a new belt. I believe can sells one where all you do is change upper pulley and slip on new belt and done ( plus the tune) just to be safe.

USV8PWR

Established Member
No idiot questions. It's a common question

A tune is needed when changing a pulley. Well I guess you dont have to do one- but I'd you value your motor you do lol

If you are getting belt slip you will start to see some black rubber(belt) dust on the front of the motor in area near the top pulley, I had some on my 2012 with a 2.6" pulley and just a larger Idler pulley. On my 13 I did the Metco tensioner set up. Sorry OP I thoght you ment the add on tensioner not the larger idler pulley which I had on my 12 and did have some belt slip.

Thanks guys! :beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

I would assume places that sell the pulleys have a disclaimer that tune is required. At least they should as that is a VERY expensive mistake!
For guys new to performance upgrades, definitely ask questions here or develop a relationship with a good shop.
I plan on doing a lower pulley. It really is a better option for this motor---high quality SFI engine balancer, better belt wrap and quicker boost response, all win-win.
-J

qachargh

Established Member
I'm doing a %10 lower. I went ahead and bought the Thump racing tensioner. I bought them both from Van before the Tensioner price went up. He said with the larger lower the stock tensioner can break or contact the damper under heavy load.

Users who are viewing this thread