Upper Seat Frame

metaman

Established Member
Is the upper seat frame in a Terminator Seat the same as the seat frame from a normal Gt mustang? I am asking because my upper seat frame is broken and I am planning on swapping over the foams / bladders / covers to another seat frame.

hotcobra03

Established Member
best way to find out is strip them both and do a side by side..what year gt? i had to go to bone yard for seat belt..i got them from a gt..however 02 was as far back i could go to be the same..

funny my wife works where they build seats for toyota..there frames have changes per type of seat..along with the ones built with wrong parts that get through...

heres a link for cobra upholstery on gt seat frame

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-2003-2004-cobra-seats-1999-2004/p/U55-V/

Last edited:

metaman

Established Member
I don't have a gt seat right now. I am checking so that I can know if purchasing one from a junk yard is prudent or not. Would rather not tear them all apart to find out. Want to know ahead of time.

Jefe

Established Member
What do you want to spend? Mines collecting dust since I installed the seat delete

hotcobra03

Established Member
after speaking with wife,,,she works for 1 of the 2 seat making companys in the usa..

they make seats for other manufacturers also...

she says the frames stay the sam through the model run..some changes are with how seat adjusts,folds,..

she did also say the top is welded to bottom..you will need the whole seat frame

metaman

Established Member
What do you want to spend? Mines collecting dust since I installed the seat delete

Was hoping not to spend much at all.

I have actually never been satisfied with the ergonomics of the stock seat since I bought the car. So it is either gonna be a cheap fix, or a set of Corbeau GTS II's in gray cloth. With a rear seat delete. That is going to run me over 700 bucks though. Unless I just got the drivers seat for now.

after speaking with wife,,,she works for 1 of the 2 seat making companys in the usa..

they make seats for other manufacturers also...

she says the frames stay the sam through the model run..some changes are with how seat adjusts,folds,..

she did also say the top is welded to bottom..you will need the whole seat frame

You mean the part where your ass goes to the part where you back goes is welded together? It looks like it is just bolted together.

I suppose the other option that I have read about is taking the cover and foams out and having the frame welded where it is broken. Apparently what usually breaks on them is the welds.

Last edited:

stangkid

Established Member
The cobra gt and v6 frames are the same i put cobra foam & covers on my GT seat frames.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Was hoping not to spend much at all.

I have actually never been satisfied with the ergonomics of the stock seat since I bought the car. So it is either gonna be a cheap fix, or a set of Corbeau GTS II's in gray cloth. With a rear seat delete. That is going to run me over 700 bucks though. Unless I just got the drivers seat for now.

You mean the part where your ass goes to the part where you back goes is welded together? It looks like it is just bolted together.

I suppose the other option that I have read about is taking the cover and foams out and having the frame welded where it is broken. Apparently what usually breaks on them is the welds.

well she is wrong on these,,here is a link on a how to..looking quick it says something about a change in 1996/1997 ...

1986 Mustang GT Build and How To's

Users who are viewing this thread