UPR k member?

snkbit99

Established Member
Has anyone installed one of these on a 99 or newer cobra? I have attempted to install mine but it does not look like it is going to line up. Thanks for any info or advice.

Ed

tistan

Established Member
I just got done installing mine. How is it not lining up? Do any of the bolt holes line up?

snkbit99

Established Member
The bolt holes line up. Did you have to move the ground strap mount on the left side and the brake lines on the right side? I am going to pull the motor mounts and see if that helps.

Thanks
Ed

tistan

Established Member
snkbit99 said:
The bolt holes line up. Did you have to move the ground strap mount on the left side and the brake lines on the right side? I am going to pull the motor mounts and see if that helps.

Thanks
Ed

Yeah I had to move brake lines and ground straps.

snkbit99

Established Member
What did you do with the brake lines? I am thinking of getting new lines and bending them differently. But I really don't want to have to bleed the brakes if at all possible. I hate bleeding brakes.

Thanks
ED

tistan

Established Member
I was going to do the same thing with the brake lines, but I talked to someone about it and they said bend then with your hands. I grabbed each one and pulled it towards the front of the car and it moved enough to clear the k member.

snkbit99

Established Member
I messed around with it a little tonight. I pulled all the clips off of the lines but I couldn't get them to move. i am going to try again tomorrow after i pick up my caster camber plates. I will see if I can get them to bend any. I only have to get two out of the way. Then every thing will be cool. I can finish putting the rest of the stuff back on. The only other thing I need is a new steering rack and a good four wheel alignment.

Thanks
Ed

tistan

Established Member
why do you need a new steering rack? I did notice after I put my k member in that my steering has a dead spot in the middle. I figured that the person alligning it didn't do a good job. I also havn't really adjusted the ride height yet so my fron end is sitting a little higher than it should be. I will play with it once I do my rear suspension.

snkbit99

Established Member
When I started taking the front end apart I noticed I had power steering fluid leeking out of the left side boot. I talked to a few of my friends that are mechanics. All of them said it was better to replace the rack then mess around with trying to replace the seals. I ordered one from my Local dealer for $198. It should be here tomorrow. I got the k member in today. I just pulled the brake lines out of the way by hand. I am not happy how the motor mounts line up. The locating nub on the mounts does not sit in the cut out in the k member. The coil over kit does not fit on my stock struts. I am in the middle of grinding down the lower mount to get them to fit over. I am really not happy with upr's quality or fit. This will probably be my last ever purchase from upr. I ended up picking up Steeda four bolt caster camber plates for $195 Friday. There was no way I was going to buy the upr ones.

Ed

tistan

Established Member
I used 3 washers.

Did you drill out the welds on top of your struts and take off the metal dust cover?

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Well i Plan on doing the swap
this will be good to know.

A LIST OF THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT UPR K MEMBER SWAP

1. Brake Lines Must be bent
2. Powersteering Rack and Pinion Bolts need to be replace with shorter bolts
3. Stock Struts do NOT work
4. Ground Straps need to be moved
5. Mounts dont work completely correct

please add on.. because i plan on this swap.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
saleenfiend17 said:

Do the same problems exist w/ the MM k-member?

snkbit99

Established Member
Yes I drilled out the welds and removed the dust cover. The sleeves did not fit over the the bottom of the strut. At the mounting point. I had to grind that part considerably to get the sleeve to slide down and bottom out. I had to do this with both struts. It took about and hour to do both.

snkbit99

Established Member
I will add that I do not have stock motor mounts. I have energy suspension eurathane mounts. But that shouldn't really matter because they are stock replacements.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
saleenfiend17 said:

although im not sure what #5 means. i had to do all of that too for my PA racing K member.
im sure you will have to do #1-4 with any k member swap. EDIT: ok i know what your talking about. i just grinded off that little alinement tab and all was good.

does anyone have rubbing/turning issues do to the k member swap?
any way to fix that??

J

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread