UPS hassle.....

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Okay, so I recently sold a Nativity Set on ebay for my parents. It was like $1200. I package it up very nicely, bubble wrap upon bubble wrap and those airfilled bubbles, double boxed and just all around a nice packing job. I go to UPS and I ask for insurance and the guy asks what's in it and I tell him. No problem, he gives me $22 worth of insurance and off we go.

Well fast forward to now. The receiver of the package tells me that one of the pieces is damaged. So I go into the store to put in a claim and the guy states " I knew I shouldn't have sent it that way, I should've repacked it". Well the person i sold it to tells me he stated that he told me "he should have double boxed it, but it fell on deaf ears".

Anyway, the claim was denied and now I am disputing it. What the hell is the point of insurance? Why are some people such d****? The guy at the UPS store is the owner also....grrrrr. Fortunately the lady I am dealing with is patient, understanding and helping out on her end as much as possible.

Sorry, just had to vent....

Mayo5

Established Member
Well, I'm pretty sure they have a system where they will cover the insurance if they pack. They ship millions of packages daily, don't you think their insurance claim is out the ass?

Was their damage to the outside of the box? If not, then that is on you and your packing %100.

Also for future reference, never over value the insurance, always undervalue.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Your post doesn't make much sense. In 1 line you talk about packing it yourself and double boxing, and in the next you make it sound like the UPS guy packed it. You say you double boxed it and then you talk about it not being double boxed. WTF?

xtremeskime21

Established Member
#1...I am only claiming one piece for $150.
#2...He never stated to me that he should repack it, hence I thought it was fine. He gave me the insurance for what I packed. HIS fault. I am unaware of any flaws to the box...I guess I didn't ask that.
#3...I may piiHb.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Your post doesn't make much sense. In 1 line you talk about packing it yourself and double boxing, and in the next you make it sound like the UPS guy packed it. You say you double boxed it and then you talk about it not being double boxed. WTF?

The guy told the receiver I should have...he didn't KNOW it was. He stated HE should have let him double box it.

Mayo5

Established Member
#1...I am only claiming one piece for $150.
#2...He never stated to me that he should repack it, hence I thought it was fine. He gave me the insurance for what I packed. HIS fault. I am unaware of any flaws to the box...I guess I didn't ask that.
#3...I may piiHb.

Sorry bud, but if the box is fine then you are shit out of luck. Always pack everything very tightly, and ALWAYS use peanuts to fill any and every space, and double box if necessary.

After you do that and the taping is secured and done, shake the box and make sure nothing moves at all. Then write fragile all over the box, and Do not drop as well.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Sorry bud, but if the box is fine then you are shit out of luck. Always pack everything very tightly, and ALWAYS use peanuts to fill any and every space, and double box if necessary.

After you do that and the taping is secured and done, shake the box and make sure nothing moves at all. Then write fragile all over the box, and Do not drop as well.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure I am screwed. I wrote fragile and top....figured that was a key to not drop it. :lol:
At least it was only one out of the 16 pieces, I'll just have to look at the bright side!

Mayo5

Established Member
Yeah...I'm pretty sure I am screwed. I wrote fragile and top....figured that was a key to not drop it. :lol:
At least it was only one out of the 16 pieces, I'll just have to look at the bright side!

Yeah, shit happens. 15/16 is pretty good. All of the shipping companies should develop something for identifiable fragile boxes over regular.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
keep fighting, i have heard more than once many places automatically deny the first claim on purpose, if they paid out every time then they would lose too much.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Well, I'm pretty sure they have a system where they will cover the insurance if they pack. They ship millions of packages daily, don't you think their insurance claim is out the ass?

Was their damage to the outside of the box? If not, then that is on you and your packing %100.

Anything i sell on ebay and send UPS, the value is always under $100.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why would you undervalue as far as insurance? If an item is truly worth $500. why would you insure it, say, for $200. or less than $100.? That doesn't make sense, because if there IS a claim you'll only get the $200. I don't understand this at all. What's the point in insuring an item then? :shrug:

02reaper

Established Member

If I have something worth or sold for 2k, why would I undervalue or insure it for 1k? That doesn't make sense to me.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Why would you undervalue as far as insurance? If an item is truly worth $500. why would you insure it, say, for $200. or less than $100.? That doesn't make sense, because if there IS a claim you'll only get the $200. I don't understand this at all. What's the point in insuring an item then? :shrug:

Sometimes you don't even get the $200 you insure it for. Just because you insure it for a certain amount, that doesn't mean that's how much UPS will hand over. Many times they require an original receipt for the item and even then they will only pay you a depreciated value of what the item is worth.

Here is a story about what a bitch it is to deal with shipping companies on insurance. My mom shipped some items she sold for a line hone machine packed in 1/2 in. PVC pipe. The people at the counter told her the packing was overkill and they should get there fine. Turns out they DIDN'T get there fine. UPS broke the PVC and the bar for the line hone fell out somewhere. Apparently UPS didn't notice this because they actually delivered the empty broken PVC pipe. My mom insured everything and spent weeks trying to dig up a receipt for these parts (they were purchased in 1994) that UPS said they required. After she finally found it, they tell her that they can't pay her for the full value because they didn't believe the parts were worth that much. The parts aren't made anymore and you can't find them used anywhere. Now my mom has to refund the money to the buyer for these parts which is more than the little amount of insurance money she got for them.

Mayo5

Established Member
^^ Yes.

I wasn't referring to a massive drop in value of insurace, but don't value your product that you are shipping at it's new retail value.(Unless it is brand new).

Insure it for the used value you sold it for, or with some depreciation. You will have a much easier time getting your insurance claim this way. If you over value the insurance, or have it insured for as much it would cost a new item, it will almost always get rejected. Make sure to keep your receipt of the shipping, and receipt of the transaction.

You gotta remember how many people have probably tried sending something broken then trying to claim insurance to get money for it.

You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but that is what has worked best for me in the past.

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Okay, so I recently sold a Nativity Set on ebay for my parents. It was like $1200. I package it up very nicely, bubble wrap upon bubble wrap and those airfilled bubbles, double boxed and just all around a nice packing job. I go to UPS and I ask for insurance and the guy asks what's in it and I tell him. No problem, he gives me $22 worth of insurance and off we go.

Well fast forward to now. The receiver of the package tells me that one of the pieces is damaged. So I go into the store to put in a claim and the guy states " I knew I shouldn't have sent it that way, I should've repacked it". Well the person i sold it to tells me he stated that he told me "he should have double boxed it, but it fell on deaf ears".

Anyway, the claim was denied and now I am disputing it. What the hell is the point of insurance? Why are some people such d****? The guy at the UPS store is the owner also....grrrrr. Fortunately the lady I am dealing with is patient, understanding and helping out on her end as much as possible.

Sorry, just had to vent....

I Can help you out, I was a manager for ups past 5 years @ my local ups store, The steps to take is keep going into the store and explain you have talked to people (me) who have been through the claims process and explain to the guy @ the ups store to have them look @ the package, the claims adjusters will deny @ 1st if you insure something $1,000+ is considered "HIGH VALUE" and they just assume you didnt pack it well enough to honor the $1,000+insurance claim, now if it was package by ups @ a ups store, it has the " pack and ship promise" you would get the money no questions asked, so tell the lady who has the package to put all packing material and items in the box and dont touch it.

You then should have the ups store employee call and setup a claim process so they can take pictures etc, have the lady take pictures,make copies of all your recipts and copy of your proof of insurance and then they should honor the insurance claim.:rockon::rockon:

I use to spend so much time and stress on these 1 reason I quit ups, The insurance companys will just deny it off the bat hopeing you will give up, but if you fight it you should get the money. Long as you did pack the items well enough.because it wasnt packed and honored by ups, you could of just put it in the box hopeing it would break, I saw a bunch of people do that and get mad when the insurance company wouldnt pay out the insurance claim, they get alot of insurance freud claims. so you have to have proof you packed it well enough to honor a "high value claim" because when the ups employee shipped it, he check marked in the shipment software "packed by customer" if it was checked "packed by ups" the insurance company would put it right in.

feel free to ask me any questions:beer:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^ Yes.

I wasn't referring to a massive drop in value of insurace, but don't value your product that you are shipping at it's new retail value.(Unless it is brand new).

Insure it for the used value you sold it for, or with some depreciation. You will have a much easier time getting your insurance claim this way. If you over value the insurance, or have it insured for as much it would cost a new item, it will almost always get rejected. Make sure to keep your receipt of the shipping, and receipt of the transaction.

You gotta remember how many people have probably tried sending something broken then trying to claim insurance to get money for it.

You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but that is what has worked best for me in the past.

Thanks. I understand now and will consider doing this in the future if I have to ship anything of value that has to be insured. Great advice. :thumbsup:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I Can help you out, I was a manager for ups past 5 years @ my local ups store, The steps to take is keep going into the store and explain you have talked to people (me) who have been through the claims process and explain to the guy @ the ups store to have them look @ the package, the claims adjusters will deny @ 1st if you insure something $1,000+ is considered "HIGH VALUE" and they just assume you didnt pack it well enough to honor the $1,000+insurance claim, now if it was package by ups @ a ups store, it has the " pack and ship promise" you would get the money no questions asked, so tell the lady who has the package to put all packing material and items in the box and dont touch it.

You then should have the ups store employee call and setup a claim process so they can take pictures etc, have the lady take pictures,make copies of all your recipts and copy of your proof of insurance and then they should honor the insurance claim.:rockon::rockon:

I use to spend so much time and stress on these 1 reason I quit ups, The insurance companys will just deny it off the bat hopeing you will give up, but if you fight it you should get the money. Long as you did pack the items well enough.because it wasnt packed and honored by ups, you could of just put it in the box hopeing it would break, I saw a bunch of people do that and get mad when the insurance company wouldnt pay out the insurance claim, they get alot of insurance freud claims. so you have to have proof you packed it well enough to honor a "high value claim" because when the ups employee shipped it, he check marked in the shipment software "packed by customer" if it was checked "packed by ups" the insurance company would put it right in.

feel free to ask me any questions:beer:

Excellent information to have, thanks for posting!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread