Urban Legend- need to prove or disprove

stags

Established Member
Hey guys,

So I have been thinking about running a standing mile race and a buddy (who likes to mess with my paranoia but is also a guy w 20 yrs experience racing mustangs) said that if I hit 7K rpm in 5th the motor/ trans will be toast. Sounds like an urban legend to me, I can't think of a scientific reason why that would be true. Thoughts and experiences?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
7k RPM with those gears in 5th is only 155 mph.

Run good gas and it'll be fine. Hell, it'd probably be fine with shit gas.

Urban legend at its finest.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
If it's an OD gear, the band will definitely not like it. If it's not an OD gear, you'll be fine. Not to mention going into OD would kill the acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
5th is 1 to 1 on an MT-82. Short runs are fine, if you will be doing extended runs you should look into an oil cooler.

CPRsm

It's not an automatic toast but it is hard on things like mentioned above. Detonation=heat+time
The mile is the definition of that equation. Particularly boosted, you do not want to take a 1/4mi timing map and run a mile w it. What is fine for 10 seconds is not the same as 30. Over time heat will raise and approach detonation.

usafimj

Established Member
You'll be fine. I'm stationed in Germany and I was running 5th-6th gear between 140-160mph on the autobahn two weekends ago for about 10min straight during a mustang cruise. Car ran like a champ

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
It's not an automatic toast but it is hard on things like mentioned above. Detonation=heat+time
The mile is the definition of that equation. Particularly boosted, you do not want to take a 1/4mi timing map and run a mile w it. What is fine for 10 seconds is not the same as 30. Over time heat will raise and approach detonation.

Great point regarding detonation. Engine theory 101: heat leads to detonation. This is exactly why we have intercoolers to decrease the temperature of compressed air.

Last edited:

imeyers302

Established Member

I think it will be fine!!

https://youtu.be/pVxV3J_sQ1I

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
You'll be fine. I'm stationed in Germany and I was running 5th-6th gear between 140-160mph on the autobahn two weekends ago for about 10min straight during a mustang cruise. Car ran like a champ

Holy high speeds Batman! Was that nerve-wracking?

Riptide

Established Member
Props for the nads to try that. Especially with one hand on the wheel.

Never me though. lol

Users who are viewing this thread