URGENT: Fuel pressure dropping

Venomous04

Established Member
At the shop trying to get the Cobra running again (long story, basically intercooler cracked).

Related Mods:
Whipple 03-03 Cobra kit w/ 3.0 pulley
60# injectors
Diablosport MAF
PPRV Delete
Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump @ 50%

Details:
- Everything is hooked back up
- I can hear the pumps prime when key in on position
- We see a small surge in pressure but drops off
- If we cycle on/off quickly we can get the fuel pressure to spike pretty high but then instantly drops
- no leaks
- when cranking there is no fuel pressure
- I do have a BAP and it seems to be ok
- fuses and relay seem fine
- Tried swapping FRPP just to be sure

Update:
- checked the relay by the FPDM and it's getting 12v
- getting code P0193, but not sure the FRPS is blown as there is no gas in the vacum line
- all fuses are fine
- vacuum lines all seem fine
- no leaks anywhere
- with pressure guage connected to the fuel rail, I'm seeing little to no pressure when priming (key in on position and I can hear the pumps prime), if I cycle on/off, on/off I can get the pressure to build but instantly drops to zero.
- when cranking there is zero fuel pressure

Current plan is to drop the fuel tank Monday and see what we can find there.

Update #2:
- Dropped tank
- All hoses are fine
- Pumps prime when car keyed on
- Pumps are NOT running when car is cranking

Update #3
- Confirmed we are getting 17v out of the FPDM (with BAP set to 50%) and 17v at the fuel hat connector.

So the only thing I can think of now is that the pumps are shot. But how do 2 pumps die after sitting for a year?

Update #4
- We powered pin 10 and grounded pin 3 on the unplugged FPDM connector, the pumps ran fine and held 60psi.

Update #5
- replaced the FPDM, still doesn't work (see latest thread post for more details)

Update #6
- Replaced the FRPS (again), the code is now cleared (no longer getting P0193), but still not getting fuel pressure at all.

Update #7
Dropped the tank, re-inspected the hoses, replaced the two pumps and still nothing.

One thing that has be baffled is that I kept getting the code P0193 which is for the FRPS, I've replaced it twice now. And last night after tinkering with the car it started throwing the code again. I don't understand why though, that code is for when you blow the FRPS because of a spike in fuel pressure that pops the FRPS but I'm certainly not getting that.

What we did last night:
- Replaced the two pumps with OEM ones (nothing happened, still no fuel pressure at cranking)
- To test the pumps again we pulled the connector from the FPDM and powered pin 10 from the battery and grounded pin 3
- pumps ran, and we saw > 60psi of pressure in the rails
- with the pumps running (but the FPDM disconnected) we tried to crank the car but got nothing not even a cough or sputter (almost like there was zero spark)

I'm going back to the shop later today to do some data logging after the battery has been recharged (was pretty much dead after all this). Any advice on what to log? (I'm trying to log most fuel related PID's, guess I'll add spark).

Marc.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Swapping FRPP?
As in FRPS with another used, but known good FRPS?

Did you actually start the car or just key it on and watch the fuel pressure drop?

Exactly what changes were made during this down time event?

Venomous04

Established Member
Swapping FRPP?
As in FRPS with another used, but known good FRPS?

Did you actually start the car or just key it on and watch the fuel pressure drop?

Exactly what changes were made during this down time event?

Sorry ya FRPS. Replaced it with a new unit.

When cranking the fuel pressure is nil, car cranks but doesn't catch.

During down time the car was checked over by a Ford dealership . Not sure exactly what they did, but they were the ones that informed me the intercooler is likely cracked due to the liquid spurting out the plug holes when cranking.

Asides from that the car sat for a period of roughly a year before today where the s/c was re-installed with a new intercooler and all electrical/vacuum lines were re-attached.

Going to check voltage at the pumps and get an ODB2 scanner to see if there are any codes.

Marc.

Blueline

Established Member
It really sounds like the FRPS, maybe try another (working) one.... Its not holding your fuel press.

Venomous04

Established Member
It really sounds like the FRPS, maybe try another (working) one.... Its not holding your fuel press.

Agreed but what are the odds that I have two FRPS's and both are bad?!?

Cleared the code, installed the second FRPS and as soon as the key was turned to the on position it tossed the same code.

Guess I could try and get a new FRPS from the dealership...

Blueline

Established Member
I wonder if theres anyway to check the voltage or so at the plug of the frps? Im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in on this. Hope you get it sorted out!

Venomous04

Established Member
Heading back to the shop tonight to diagnose the car. Current plan is to drop the (sadly full) tank and see whats what.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

cheers,

Marc.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
I had a similar problem when a pump output hose popped off. Was the PPRV delete done recently in terms of when the problem developed?

Venomous04

Established Member
Anyone have a pinout diagram of the fuel harness? Given the pumps prime but don't run when cranking we are looking to work backwards from the fuel harness to the BAP to the FPDM etc.

What I need to know is what is the expected voltage and on which wire when cranking.

Marc.

Venomous04

Established Member
Another update:
- Confirmed we are getting 17v out of the FPDM (with BAP set to 50%) and 17v at the fuel hat connector.

So the only thing I can think of now is that the pumps are shot. But how do 2 pumps die after sitting for a year?

Venomous04

Established Member
Update
- We powered pin 10 and grounded pin 3 on the unplugged FPDM connector, the pumps ran fine and held 60psi.

So looks like it's either the FPDM or the PCM which aren't sending the correct signal to the pumps when cranking.

Venomous04

Established Member
Update:
- Got another FPDM and that didn't fix it.

To recap
- FPDM replaced to no avail
- 0 fuel pressure at crank
- 0-5psi of pressure at key on but drops right away
- cycling key on off quickly I can get good pressure but drops instantly
- fuel pumps work fine when manually powered (applying proper voltage to unplugged harness from FPDM)
- boost-a-pump seems to work (can measure between 12-17v when turning the knob)
- all grounds and lines seem fine
- no loose hoses or clamps in the fuel tank

So next thing up the chain is the PCU right?

AMB

Established Member
Venomous04

Do you have the BAP installed "before/after" the FPDM? Do you have the wiring upgrade? :??:

Venomous04

Established Member
- I have the wiring upgrade
- Fairly certain (but not 100%) that the BAP is before the FPDM (always on, but I didn't do the install). Will verify next time I'm at the shop.

Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread