US Airways Plane Goes Down in Hudson River

NETHNGBTSTK

Established Member
MyFox New York | US Airways Plane Goes Down in Hudson River

MyFoxNY.com -- US Airways Flight 1549 has crashed into the Hudson River, sending passengers fleeing for safety in the frigid waters.

New York City firefighters are responding to the accident. It was not immediately clear if there were injuries or fatalities

There were reportedly more than 150 people on board.

"I just thought, 'Why is it so low?' And, splash, it hit the water," said witness Barbara Sambriski, a researcher at The Associated Press.

A government official says plane struck bird, disabling its two engines.

Fox 5 Chief Meteorologist Nick Gregory is a licensed pilot. He said that the jet appears to be an Airbus, judging by the shape of the cockpit windows and doors.
The plane is an Airbus A320, according to reports:

Hope no one has any loved ones on that flight.

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
crazy i just found out now. i JUST walked in from working on the Jersey side in Hoboken so IF i was still at work would have had a 8th story view of it all. oh well just glad everyone is ok

anc2514

Genesis 1
Established Member
they're saying everyone survived. It was right after take-off, so it was not at full cruising speed or altitude...

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
"Acording to Flightaware.com, the plane was in the air for just six minutes after take-off."

Breaking: US Airways Plane Crashes Into Hudson River

Interesting, sounds like he continued to climb out on the second engine and then it also failed. I thought he just kind of dribbled off the departure end of the runway and into the river.

So he actually landed it in the river, touching down in the water at around 150 mph, impressive ditch, worked out nicely.

*EDIT* so they both flamed out after they hit the flock of birds shortly after takeoff.

Last edited:

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
"Acording to Flighaware.com, the plane was in the air for just six minutes after take-off."

Breaking: US Airways Plane Crashes Into Hudson River

Interesting, sounds like he continued to climb out on the second engine and then it also failed. I thought he just kind of dribbled off into the river off the departure end of the runway. So he actually landed it in the river, touching down in the water at around 150 mph, impressive ditch.

To bad there is no major body of water around McCullom :p

vidzdansvt

Established Member
and just yesterday FAA was talking about how they were accident free for last two years, talking about a jinks. just glad everyone was ok.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
and just yesterday FAA was talking about how they were accident free for last two years, talking about a jinks. just glad everyone was ok.

Exactly what I was thinking.

It was VERY cold here in NY today, the pictures of them standing on the wing is just insane.

Jefe

Established Member
3bm2g.jpg

capt.34d2affb148c4b518782de0bc88d1daa.new_york_plane_in_river_ny129.jpg

2008_01_planeh6.jpg

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
As an employee of US Airways I can tell you that were blessed to have a crew that acted as professionally as this one did. We also have to thank the great and fast response of the rescue teams from NY!

Users who are viewing this thread