Votes: 2 1.4%
  • There is no limit

Votes: 40 29.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fangstang

Established Member
Daily street driven cars have to be able to handle the elements. So I ask, how difficult is it to handle these things in the rain with all this power? I know that the stock tires on the 03's are very good in the rain, but I'm pretty sure 500rwhp or anything thing around that number would make these tires obsolite in the rain.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
IF the car can be hammered during hot weather than I feel 550rwhp SAE is where I want to be because in Texas heat 550SAE will be closer to 500 or less when its real hot out. Winter time: forget it.. 550rwhp SAE on my current tires will be too much. The other thing that factors into this in my opinion is what tires and rear gear your going to run: if your willing to run around on MT ET Streets than maybe 600rwhp is your number. Throw in 4:10 gears and what you can use drastically drops again for speeds below 90mph. For me on 315 Nitto DRs on 10.5" wheels I was able to hook all the way through 2nd gear (465/485SAE hp/tq) and that was on asphalt in 50 degree weather so I'm thinking somewhere between 500 to 550rwhp SAE and about that much torque is where I'm done. I will keep the stock rear gearing and I may be willing to try ET Streets..

As far as transmissions being next on the list to break, whoever said that is right.. check www.corral.net under 2v/4v for a recent post by Coop, you'll see what his 550rwhp 4V cobra did to his T56.. ugly.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
There is no such thing as "enough HP". All you guys saying that 500 RWHP is enough, you guys are crazy cause once you reach 500 RWHP, you want 600 RWHP. Once you reach 600 RWHP, you want 700 RWHP. It goes on and on... And yes I'm talking about a street car.

My car puts down 460 RWHP and 500 LBS RWTQ. It's a slow POS to me now. I want 4th gear to accelerate like 2nd gear, 5th gear to accelerate like 3rd gear, etc...

Well, that's just my opinion, of-course! Don't take it too personally... :D

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SoCalCobra
A boost-controller would be perfect. Set it at 8-12psi around town and 18-20 psi on the weekends.

Originally posted by Lethalchem

Now a boost-control..that would change everything:coolman:

X2CMotorsports sells one. Allow you to dump boost via the bypass valve. In car adjustable. I don't have one, just remember the thread.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Well, their are 700rwhp and 800rwhp Supras in my area that love going over highways and bridges. So 500hp won't get you too far with them.

shweggy 03snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Mike 97 SS
Shweggy, very nice car! I like the color and that different rear wing really adds a nice look to an already nice car. Mike :beer:

Thanks a lot Mike. I had the dealer deliver the car with an 03 Saleen 3 pc wing.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
This is the most powerful Cobra I've ever owned. It's stock except for a K&N and removed air silencer and I'm already used to the power which is probably around 370-380 rwhp. I'll be doing the usual mods but I'm seriously considering adding a nitrous kit instead of increasing the boost via a smaller pulley. That way I can use the extra power only when I need it. A nice 100 shot should do the trick.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
What are the options to upgrading the tranny without going to auto?

Get D&D to build you a Viper-spec balanced and blueprinted T56. I think that's good for another 100 lb-ft of torque at least. The T56 is about as strong of a manual tranny as you're gonna find for a modular Mustang. It's nice we finally have enough easy-to-find power to be breaking T56's instead of having to painfully wring out the HP and then upgrade to a T56.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
So they broke one t-56, so now its not able to handle, the power? Gimme a break, I've seen t-5's live behind 700hp windsors. how many t-45's are out there with 430+hp. And lets not forget the modified vipers out there. The t-56 is the best manual non-race tranny out there. The t-56 can handle well over the 440lbs its rated at, what it can't handle is dumpin the clutch at 6grande, with a stage 13 clutch. And thats called abuse. Use some common sense and you'll be fine, abuse it and well, thats why they teardown race cars after every few runs.

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
So they broke one t-56, so now its not able to handle, the power? Gimme a break, I've seen t-5's live behind 700hp windsors. how many t-45's are out there with 430+hp. And lets not forget the modified vipers out there. The t-56 is the best manual non-race tranny out there. The t-56 can handle well over the 440lbs its rated at, what it can't handle is dumpin the clutch at 6grande, with a stage 13 clutch. And thats called abuse. Use some common sense and you'll be fine, abuse it and well, thats why they teardown race cars after every few runs.

Makes sence to me!

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Originally posted by shweggy 03snake
I'm running 470 RWHP SAE, and 490 RWTQ without any real major mods. I think the car is perfect now. I think if you can run high 11s on radials and still drive to the shore with AC on, then thats all you need or could ask for.

:lol: what he said:lol:
I also have an 88 GT with 600rwh and used it as a daily driver all the time. I even got about 22 MPG highway with it. Tuned corectly there really is no limit for a high HP Fuel Injected car.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
When is there too much HP?

That sounds like something my wife would say. I want the max that our blocks can handle.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by NMRAcer
:lol: what he said:lol:
I also have an 88 GT with 600rwh and used it as a daily driver all the time. I even got about 22 MPG highway with it. Tuned corectly there really is no limit for a high HP Fuel Injected car.

In looking at my pole results thus far, I am actually surprised to see how many of you are voting for the "no limit" option. I find this very hard to believe, but then again I've never owned a street car with as much power as we're talking about.

Perhaps I'll change my mind when I have all that under my right foot, but surely there is a point where the HP cannot be used to it's full potential on the street? Of course you can DRIVE a car with 1000hp on the street, but can you honestly USE it when all you do is roast the first 3 gears no matter how little throttle you give it? I mean the race would be over by the time you got the thing to hook up on street or drag radial tires, wouldn't it?

This was the very reason why I started this thread, to learn more about the kind of HP my car (which I get in 7 days!) can use...beacause perhaps I'm thinking 700rwhp is more grunt than it really is:)

Thanks for all the posts. It's helpful to hear from people who've been there, instead of guessing what it's like, like I'm doing:)

darkcrayz

Established Member
For you all that understand trannys why would you need to get an auto tranny? Can they handle the power better, if so why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread