Using water in intercooler?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes if it's from the ice that just melted inside of the IC resevoir. Other than that no because you're taking a chance of it freezing with it by itself.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
I don't understand what you mean. Sorry, I'm just learning. Id only be using it spring, summer, fall.

I was just wondering if it'd lower the temp better than coolant.

s|ck

Established Member
Yes, straight distilled water will lower your temps better than coolant.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
use distilled water and 2 bottles of water wetter or RP ice in it. That's what I'm doing once it gets warmer. I do the same to my Cobra.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
If you follow the directions above it will make a significant difference in IAT2's, = more power. I do it every summer too.

TORQJNKY

I don't understand what you mean. Sorry, I'm just learning. Id only be using it spring, summer, fall.

I was just wondering if it'd lower the temp better than coolant.

I think what POSI was trying to say is, straight distilled water has better cooling properties than 50/50 antifreeze and you will see better IAT2's and power. Just make sure you add antifreeze during the winter months, if it freezes where you live, or you will end up with a cracked intercooler from the water freezing (expanding) in the intercooler.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
Awesome ill do that.

I can't view any pics or links because I'm using my phone. Ill look later on my computer.

What are IAT2's? Sorry, I'm kinda slow lol.

Should I run water in the engine too? I have a 185* t-stat.
I want this thing to perform is best reliably.

And yea ill keep tabs on it. I live in michigan and I winterize my jet ski so ill remember to "winterize" my truck ha.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Keep the coolant in your radiator but it doesn't hurt to add some water wetter there too. The added lubrication and corrosion protection in the engine is worth more than any cooling gains there.

IAT2's are the intake air temperature after the superchager and intercooler. Your lightnings computer monitors the air temperature at the air filter (IAT1) to use in conjunction with your mass air flow sensor to determine how much air is going into the engine, and the temerature of the compressed air hitting the cylinders (IAT2) for safety. Improving your intercooler function will lower IAT2 which increases performance. Adding more boost by increasing blower speed will increase IAT2 but up to a point it will make more power. When IAT2 gets too high your computer will actually pull timing to prevent damage to your motor and so high IAT2's will reduce power in more ways than just decreased air density.

Last edited:

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
If you use straight water something is gonna rust in your engine or intercooler.

Even though the intercooler system is aluminum the water pump is not stainless that I know of.

At the very least use water wetter. It works.

If you go to the track put as much ice as you can get into the reservoir. My reservoir is stock and it was good for a 10 degree drop on a 100 degree day.

s|ck

Established Member
I run straight Distilled Water & Water Wetter in both my Intercooler & Radiator.

I live in TX and never drive it during the winter, truck also stays inside the garage 24/7. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
I live in MI unfortunately and DD my lightning till I buy a beater in the spring.

Ok so can I add water wetter to my radiator now during the winter? If so how much?

What's different from distilled water to city (tap) water?

Speaking of timing, I'm not sure what detonation sounds like but I have +4* of timing and at WOT it sounds like a pinging rattling noise. I run 93 octane, A/F is roughly 11.3.

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
4 degrees of timing is pretty low. does the noise occur other than WOT?

distilled has all the minerals and other things removed from the water. its done by heating the water to create steam, then capturing the steam, which has no more impurities in it.
I run tap water (and ice) at the track. In the fall i had to add anti-freeze to my inter-cooler and noticed that after a month or so of having tap water in my i/c a film had deposited at the bottom of my aftermarket i/c reservoir.

I wouldn't leave just plain water in the i/c for any length of time!!! (only at the track)

Sean

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
distilled water is the best. if we compare coolant and plain water.
Now plain water with a properly mixed surfactant ratio in it will out perform plain water. but if you mix the ratio with too much then itll harm cooling. And most folks dont read the bottle of water wetter and mix it correctly.

Sperm Rocket

Established Member
I think come spring time, ill stick with 50/50 in the radiator..and distilled water with water wetter in the ic.

The noise only happens at WOT. I turned it down to +3* of timing and I can still hear it. Doesn't seem as loud but its hard to tell.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I think come spring time, ill stick with 50/50 in the radiator..and distilled water with water wetter in the ic.

The noise only happens at WOT. I turned it down to +3* of timing and I can still hear it. Doesn't seem as loud but its hard to tell.

Any detonation is BAD! You are adding too much timing if you can hear it detonating. Before you blow your motor take out all of the added timing (+0) and maybe start a seperate thread asking advice on timing so more people will respond to you about it. Include all your mods and how much total timing you are running, what programmer, fuel octane, etc.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread