VA Speeding Crackdown

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I got one in VA last year and the points did not transfer. Lucky? IDK but i paid the ticket a day before the court date after claiming I was gonna fight it.

Got one in VA 10 years ago for doing 80 in a 55. Had a NJ license at the time. I scheduled for a court date to fight it and found out the state trooper died. The ticket was let go as a result.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
dwi in va are a joke. i got rearended by a drunk women at 6:00 AM a year and a half ago and that b!tch is still walking around and driving. she gets her court date continued every time and i still drag my ass out of work and or school to listen to some bullsh!t judge tell me he cant hear her case cause he has something to do later in the day. its pointless. VA cares about making money period. I have decided not to go to the womens court dates anymore. i cant remember what happened anymore anyway. its been to long and i just dont care.

Va sucks!

Last edited:

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
I'm sorry to hear that Solid...But, I'll tell ya. I've done over 30 DWI arrests in the last year and NOT ONE got away with anything less then 10 days in jail, a year on their license, and around $3k in fines.

It upsets me to hear a story like yours. A person is only allowed to generally get 2 continuences. I've seen exceptions for defendants that don't get lawyers. Was this in Fairfax? PW? ALEX? This is the reason why people think that the justice system doesn't work.

Again sorry to hear that bro

wheelhopper

Established Member
Those fines for VA are ridiculous. It's like tickets for not wearing your seat belt. I understand that it may save your life, but, that should be the drivers decision (as long as they are 18 and over). That law is just another reason to get $. Don't get me wrong, the state wants you to live a long time....the longer you live, the more taxe $ the state recieves from you.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
SnakeEyes03 said:
I'm sorry to hear that Solid...But, I'll tell ya. I've done over 30 DWI arrests in the last year and NOT ONE got away with anything less then 10 days in jail, a year on their license, and around $3k in fines.

It upsets me to hear a story like yours. A person is only allowed to generally get 2 continuences. I've seen exceptions for defendants that don't get lawyers. Was this in Fairfax? PW? ALEX? This is the reason why people think that the justice system doesn't work.

Again sorry to hear that bro

Fairfax.

Almo

Established Member
Well they best get out of the way because I'm going to the track tomorrow!!! :-D

Of course I'll be slow pulling a trailer... :banana:

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Mike, thanks for the info.

I 'spect if any of us had to work a bad accident, we'd think twice about what's "reasonable and prudent". I don't have any qualm with them throwing the book at a DWI, but I wish they could be clearer on what constitutes reckless driving. I know it has to be the officer's discretion, 'cause someone going 20 in a 50 while weaving wildly is worse than someone doing 75 on an open interstate. But is there some kind of guide so we have a better idea that we're crossing a line?

And all jurisdictions have their problems. While I'm much happier to live in MD, even though I drive to work in VA every day, at least VA doesn't have those speed cameras that are popping up here in MoCo. But they're only in school zones, I can live with that.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Honestly every moving violation that can be written by an officer can constitute a Reckless ticket. For example....failure to yield..normally it is not a reckless ticket, however if i really wanted to I can write reckless. Would I? NO!!

However, like in any job...there is the ass-hole officer that got picked on in high school and he wants to prove something to himself. I don't agree w/ some of the tickets people get. But, its up to that individual officer and as long as he can articulate the ticket...well its his word against yours.

I will give the same exact advise I give my Fiance, friends, and family. If you get pulled over be polite, don't try to say you were doing 55 when you were doing 80, and say you are sorry.

I'm sure that most of you don't get Reckless Driving tickets or DWI's or aggressive driving tickets every day. Those are the tickets the fines went up on. Not the normal speeding or seat belt.

Additionally, for the rest of the summer the Tri-State area is doing what is called Smooth Operator. This means that officers are looking for anything ie, exhaust, tint, etc. So, be careful.

And before someone brings it up. If you have any muffler other then stock on your vehicle it constitutes IMPROPER EXHAUST. The 50 state legal crap that you get when you purchase your exhaust just means that you will pass emmissions. The state code "VA" states that if the exhaust is louder then stock it is illegal.

Ok my hands hurt...I'm done lol

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
SnakeEyes03 said:
And before someone brings it up. If you have any muffler other then stock on your vehicle it constitutes IMPROPER EXHAUST. The 50 state legal crap that you get when you purchase your exhaust just means that you will pass emmissions. The state code "VA" states that if the exhaust is louder then stock it is illegal.
Uh oh. :rolleyes:

Does that effect anyone here?

Thanks, Mike.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
SnakeEyes03 said:
If you get pulled over be polite, don't try to say you were doing 55 when you were doing 80, and say you are sorry.

Exactly - Rule # 1 Never Lie.

A. They know better
B. You sound stupid
C. Honesty is the best policy

Perfect example - You are better off telling the Police you had 6 beers than 2. Why? - They are more likely to believe you cause every idiot in the world say's "I had a Couple" 9 times out of 10 the officer will ask how many a couple is. The Police are extremely capable of making good judgment. This is what they are paid for. I once told an officer I had 8 beers and to my amazement he was shocked. I was just being honest and he did not expect it. He then evaluated me and sent me on my way. Truth was those beers were had over a period of 6 /7 hours and the effects mainly wore off. Either way, most people would lie about it and that is where they get in trouble.

Bottom Line - Never lie, especially to someone that has heard every imaginable excuse you can think of.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
True Tim.....good advice. But, I think the way to fly is never to drink and drive. That would certainly save a lot of hassles and maybe someone's life.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
In Maryland, I know it's illegal to replace the stock catalytic converters unless they are damaged or found to be not functioning correctly, but I wasn't aware of any regs about replacing the stock mufflers...:shrug:

It's all about emission control up here in the Free State!

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
For you Maryland guys

§ 22-402. Mufflers; prevention of noise; discharge of smoke; maximum period of idling.

(a) Mufflers.- Every motor vehicle with an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person may use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway. Noise levels in excess of those adopted by the Administrator under § 22-601 of this title are excessive.

(d) "Muffler" defined.- In this section, "muffler" means a device designed for and effective in reducing noise while permitting the flow of gases.

From what I've read it looks like they can get ya if they feel that your car makes too much noise.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
"Smooth Operator" eh Mike? Damn man. Thank you for the info though.

*knock knock knock on wood* I love the FFX County Parkway Cops THOUGH! I get tailed twice a week - they must like the SN95's. :) When in doubt and not raining, keep the tinted windows rolled down boys!

Remember there are also alot of undercover impalas cruising around the parkway latley. I just noticed that today. :)

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Can someone elaborate real quick on a DWI vs DUI? From what I've gathered, a DWI is when your BAC is below .08, but above .02, but you are deemed "impaired" by the officer, and a DUI is when you are above the "legal limit" .08? Is that correct?

So, thereotically, the "legal limit" isn't always the legal limit? That is, if you are below the limit, and you don't pass the officer's impairment test(s) you can receive a DWI?

Is this correct, or is there more to it?

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
SVT-VNM said:
What a crock of shit. Good thing the All Members isn't THIS SATURDAY!!

I actually got let off yesterday for a 60 in a 50 on the parkway yesterday - he just pulled up next to me and waved his hand to slow down - very nice of him, must've liked the car. :)

Thanks for the info though, I'll keep it extra slow this weekend.

Police officers like this I have a lot of respect for. The goal is to keep the roadways safer and he achieved this without "screwing" someone over.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
pj_rage said:
Can someone elaborate real quick on a DWI vs DUI? From what I've gathered, a DWI is when your BAC is below .08, but above .02, but you are deemed "impaired" by the officer, and a DUI is when you are above the "legal limit" .08? Is that correct?

So, thereotically, the "legal limit" isn't always the legal limit? That is, if you are below the limit, and you don't pass the officer's impairment test(s) you can receive a DWI?

Is this correct, or is there more to it?

In Va DWI and DUI are the same thing. The law is .08 unless you are under 21. If you are under 21 the law is .02.

DC and I think MD have the DUI and DWI. And yes, that is when .08 is DWI and .02 is DUI.

Users who are viewing this thread