VA Speeding Crackdown

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
Ive got bad luck round here, I might have to park the cobra for a couple weeks after the GTG till the heat blows over. cuz im not taking the tint off and Im not putting a goofy front tag bracket on it either.:loser:

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
SnakeEyes03 said:
Additionally, for the rest of the summer the Tri-State area is doing what is called Smooth Operator. This means that officers are looking for anything ie, exhaust, tint, etc. So, be careful.

And before someone brings it up. If you have any muffler other then stock on your vehicle it constitutes IMPROPER EXHAUST. The 50 state legal crap that you get when you purchase your exhaust just means that you will pass emmissions. The state code "VA" states that if the exhaust is louder then stock it is illegal.

UMD has signs up at the entrances telling people that "Smooth Operator" is coming and etc.

I try telling people about car related mod legality but most friends from UMD or around my age blow me off thinking i dont know what i'm talking about.

Granted most police officers won't always pull someone over solely for things like being lowered, exhaust, and tint but if you give the officer greif you can best believe they'll go by the motto many officers i know do, "The longer you talk, the longer I'll write", and they will pick apart a car until they see fit. whether that be with ERO's or Fines or both.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
pj_rage said:
Can someone elaborate real quick on a DWI vs DUI? From what I've gathered, a DWI is when your BAC is below .08, but above .02, but you are deemed "impaired" by the officer, and a DUI is when you are above the "legal limit" .08? Is that correct?

So, thereotically, the "legal limit" isn't always the legal limit? That is, if you are below the limit, and you don't pass the officer's impairment test(s) you can receive a DWI?

Is this correct, or is there more to it?
I think you've got the numbers right, but the labels reversed...

DUI is "Driving Under the Influence" and DWI is "Driving While Intoxicated". So DWI would be over the legal limit of .08 BAC, and DUI would be under the limit, but impaired.

SnakeEyes answer had it right...

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Tidoh said:
I think you've got the numbers right, but the labels reversed...

DUI is "Driving Under the Influence" and DWI is "Driving While Intoxicated". So DWI would be over the legal limit of .08 BAC, and DUI would be under the limit, but impaired.

SnakeEyes answer had it right...
I always thought that too, and not that it matters, but I had found the info I posted here: http://www.1800duilaws.com/states/md.asp. Seems that DWI is the lesser offense and DUI the greater, in MD.

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
01Lowboy said:
UMD has signs up at the entrances telling people that "Smooth Operator" is coming and etc.

I try telling people about car related mod legality but most friends from UMD or around my age blow me off thinking i dont know what i'm talking about.

Granted most police officers won't always pull someone over solely for things like being lowered, exhaust, and tint but if you give the officer greif you can best believe they'll go by the motto many officers i know do, "The longer you talk, the longer I'll write", and they will pick apart a car until they see fit. whether that be with ERO's or Fines or both.

I'm glad I'm stock and have nothing to worry about.:lol:

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
I rarely drive my Cobra in Virginia anyway...I have never been in a state with worse road conditions! I agree with the increase in fines if they will be used to fix the roads.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
CobraSoze said:
I rarely drive my Cobra in Virginia anyway...I have never been in a state with worse road conditions! I agree with the increase in fines if they will be used to fix the roads.

PA will put VA to shame when it comes to poor roads. To me it seems VA's roads were not designed to accomodate growth but the conditions do not seem that bad from what I have experienced. PA on the other hand, I don't know how our brothers up north put up with that mess....

BLK_VNM

Established Member
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402978

i made the post on this a few days ago where snake posted some info on it if you guys didnt get enough off this thread.

and i know what you guys in fairfax have to drive with as far as cops. i commute from montclair all the way up the fairfax parkway to route 7 every day for work. and then i get to play with the state boys on 66 and 81 when i go to class in martinsburg wv so i get to see a little bit of everything every week. fairfax has about 5 locations on the parkway/123 locked down with traps every day for the last 1.5 weeks it seems.

so the main focus of smooth operator isnt so much speeding but more tint car exhaust and that sort of thing or just a little bit of everything?

justin

justin

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
N2DAMYSTIC said:
Exactly - Rule # 1 Never Lie.

A. They know better
B. You sound stupid
C. Honesty is the best policy

Perfect example - You are better off telling the Police you had 6 beers than 2. Why? - They are more likely to believe you cause every idiot in the world say's "I had a Couple" 9 times out of 10 the officer will ask how many a couple is. The Police are extremely capable of making good judgment. This is what they are paid for. I once told an officer I had 8 beers and to my amazement he was shocked. I was just being honest and he did not expect it. He then evaluated me and sent me on my way. Truth was those beers were had over a period of 6 /7 hours and the effects mainly wore off. Either way, most people would lie about it and that is where they get in trouble.

Bottom Line - Never lie, especially to someone that has heard every imaginable excuse you can think of.
My spedometer doesnt' work in my car and a police car was driving diagonally behind me in the other lane. He was just driving next to me (this was around midnight). He finally pulled me over in front of the bar I was headed to anyway. He asked me if I had any drinks I quickly replied, "No, not yet!". He said, well you were driving 38 in a 55 at midnight so it was awfully suspicious. I told him the truth and said "Well, my spedometer doesn't work right nowand I saw you back there so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't speeding because I can't afford another ticket." He had already run my plates and my driving record before I even showed him my license because he knew how many points were on my license. I also didn't have my registration on me at the time. Luckily he just let me go with a verbal warning.

Users who are viewing this thread