Valve Cover Wearing Through

spdkilz02

Established Member
OK, when I was replacing my spark plugs and wires I noticed that one of the cables that lays on the valve cover is wearing through it. It hasnt gone completely through yet, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I noticed that there is a sleeve that is on it, so I slid that down so it would be where it was rubbing.

Primaris

Established Member
It happens anytime two things which are not connected touch each other.

BlueOhTwo

...it's just a Focus
Established Member
Or, you can take the next step up from duct tape and grab a coat hanger. A few strategic bends later, and you end up with something like this:

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Took out my crz control, so only have the one cable...

Primaris

Established Member
spdkilz02 said:
is there a way to re-route those 2 cables so that they arent on top of the valve cover?

I don't think so because of where they end and you can't put too much of a bend in them.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
BlueOhTwo said:
Or, you can take the next step up from duct tape and grab a coat hanger. A few strategic bends later, and you end up with something like this:

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

I did something similar to this with a piece of wire hangar. Though, I found a bolt in back of the valve cover (Fuel Rail Bolt IIRC?), and mine ain't 'quite' as pretty;-), but it supports both cables.

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
My solution is not quite as nice as the wire holder but it works.

IMAG0234.gif

It's a small chunk of aluminum held in place with 3M doublestick tape, it's been on there almost two years now.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
BlueOhTwo said:

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Well, I am really saddened by the pictures of your engine! I thought my engine was clean but yours is insane! :bowdown: Do you ever drive your car? :lol:
Very nice! I now need to get a new valve cover and a coat hanger!

spdkilz02

Established Member
are u talking to me or one of the other people that have responded? hopefully ur responding to someone else, cuz i know its going through the valve cover, especially when i can see the metal shavings laying there. ill have to take a pic and post it. now i need to see where i can get another valve cover at for cheap.

OrangeSVTguy

SVT Addict
Established Member
HTPerformance damn that is so hot... seen that on FF in another post. how long did that take?

i know that svt changed and shorten those cables i think in mid 2004. i was wanting to do that a long time ago with the coat hanger but the shorter cables don't line up with the bolts like yours did.

HTPerformance

A friend in Florida polished it up for me. He spent about 4-6 hours I think. He used some sort of paint stripper, then sanded, polished, and then Mothers Wax.

He charged me $115 for his time.

Users who are viewing this thread