Valve noise on cold startup? Maybe?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I am guessing that its the valves, but for a few mornings, when it is cold outside there is a kind of clicking noise just for an moment at startup. After 3 or 4 rapid clicks it stops, as if the valves might be sluggish when very cold.

Anyone else hear this, and is this what it is? Is it ok?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does it happen consistently? Mine did that every so often, like maybe 3-4 times a year. I was never concerned because it wasn't a consistent occurance.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Only when it's cold in the morning, like freezing. Noticed it 3 times in about the last 2 weeks.

RGrossman

Established Member
I've noticed this as well. I noticed it when its been around the 0 mark in the morning when then car is frozen solid. I can't wait for summer. Sick of this crap!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
You sure it's not just a mild case of cold piston slap? My 4.6 Crown Vic has a 10-15 second case of piston slap when I first start it in the morning...but only when it's left outside overnight when the temps are below freezing. When it's left in the garage, there's no noise. But I would describe my noise as more of a muffled knock, not really a click or tick.

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
It happened to me couple times. It sounds like a lash adjuster bled down and took a second to pump up. I heard rapid clicks for a second then it disappeared. :shrug: It only happened after the car sat for more than 3 days.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This may sound silly, but I most noticed it (rough idle and a faint ticking) when there was an extreme temperature change, like from 50s - 90s changing quickly to 30s - 40s. And then it seemed like the computer adjusted to the temp change and the cold startup improved. I never did find out exactly what caused the occasional rough idle.

Users who are viewing this thread