Valve relief ?

canadianmach1

Established Member
Just wondering what you guys would do here, I have an mmr short block with valve reliefs you can see in the picture that the machining process has caused the metal to push past the edge of the piston slightly , mmr has said it wont be a problem and it might not be, but Im worried that it might scratch the cylinder walls, its not touching right now but what you guys do . Would you leave it like it is, or remove the excess metal ?

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 110

SlowSVT

Established Member
What MMR didn't tell you this is where the piston will fail first but there is no getting around a relief with a big bump stick.

Take some 600-800 grit sand paper and smooth the sharp edges. Don't worry about the ring land section of the piston touching the cylinder wall. By design they are ~.01 smaller dia then the skirts which allows gas pressure down into the ring lands to force the rings down on their seats and out against the cylinder wall.

Wouldn't hurt to put some clay on the relief and install the head with the cam installed and confirm the relief is in the correct location. Malcolm checked this on his build and discovered Diamond machined the reliefs in the wrong location which would have destroyed his engine. At first they had the audacity and denied any responsibility but later admitted they screwed-up and had to make him a whole new set. Not many people perform this check.

canadianmach1

Established Member
i dont have a really high lift cam anyways. Just stage 1 blower cams . I bought the short block off of someone. So I will remove that sharp edge. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread