Valve springs

2000 gt

Established Member
I'm lookin for valve springs for my 99 cobra. Besides being ported and manly exhaust valves. The heads are all stock. I was thinkn of using somthing similar to stock. Like ford racing or somthing like that. Anybody done this? Have part numbers on what I'm looking for? I don't wanna put to much of a heavy spring on a stock cam

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I don't know if the Roush Coyote springs that are used in the GS class Grand Am car will fit, but if they do, I would use them. Other than that Ed Iskendarian would be my preference.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Pac springs has a nice beehive mod motor spring with 95 lbs seat pressure vs 62 and 250 lbs @ .500' lift.

Trust me I agonized over springs and after lots of investigation and recommendation this was the best spring for me. Fairly cheap i think I spent $350 for the set.

shurur

Established Member

SlowSVT

Established Member
These Brian Tooley racing springs are suppose to be the identical spring to the far more expensive manleys, you just don't pay for the name. Work with the stock retainers.

.525" Lift Ford 4V Modular Springs - Brian Tooley Racing

Both the Brian Tooley and the Manley springs are made by Associated Spring and are suppose to be very good. Pac is the other major spring manufacturer in the country. Those are the only 2 I would trust as they supply the OEM's which doesn't happen unless you make a high quality product. The scary thing about springs is trying to accurately identify who actually made them if you have a private label spring as they all look the same? :uh oh: Stick with those 2 and you should be fine.

shurur

Established Member
Both the Brian Tooley and the Manley springs are made by Associated Spring and are suppose to be very good. Pac is the other major spring manufacturer in the country. Those are the only 2 I would trust as they supply the OEM's which doesn't happen unless you make a high quality product. The scary thing about springs is trying to accurately identify who actually made them if you have a private label spring as they all look the same? :uh oh: Stick with those 2 and you should be fine.

PAC 1512??
1500 Series - Ford modular engine dual spring for high lift and high RPM applications. - PAC-1512 - PAC Racing Springs

$60/32 springs!!

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Valve float causes by running high boost with not enough valve spring seat pressure

I guess that's possible, but I'd have to see it with my own eyes. that or the valve springs are made from ball point pen springs.
Using a SBC I think this equation is about right..
2.2 intake valve @ 16 psi boost
1.1 x 1.1 x 3.1416 x16 = 60.82 pounds of pressure on the intake side of your valve.

That's not much, most daily driver stuff has about 130-140 on the seat and about 320 over the nose so taking away the 61 pounds you should still have 60+ on the seat, not enough to blow open. I guess a lot would depend on the cam profile, if you had one that would tend to throw the lifter off (hydraulic vs solid) then it could change.
According to Comp cams their springs for a mod motor is 93 @1.57 & 198@ 1.020 The SOHC engines are 44.5mm (whatever the crap that is) valve size, so maybe you could do the math. the above listed Crowers are ...525" Lift ovate wire beehive springs for Ford 4V cylinder heads, 95lbs @ 1.420", 260lbs @ .920", set of 32.

I'm just not sure I'm buying the "blow open" theory.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've used the springs that Brian sells and have had no problems with them. Also, they use the stock retiainers so you save about $100.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I guess that's possible, but I'd have to see it with my own eyes. that or the valve springs are made from ball point pen springs.
Using a SBC I think this equation is about right..
2.2 intake valve @ 16 psi boost
1.1 x 1.1 x 3.1416 x16 = 60.82 pounds of pressure on the intake side of your valve.

That's not much, most daily driver stuff has about 130-140 on the seat and about 320 over the nose so taking away the 61 pounds you should still have 60+ on the seat, not enough to blow open. I guess a lot would depend on the cam profile, if you had one that would tend to throw the lifter off (hydraulic vs solid) then it could change.
According to Comp cams their springs for a mod motor is 93 @1.57 & 198@ 1.020 The SOHC engines are 44.5mm (whatever the crap that is) valve size, so maybe you could do the math. the above listed Crowers are ...525" Lift ovate wire beehive springs for Ford 4V cylinder heads, 95lbs @ 1.420", 260lbs @ .920", set of 32.

I'm just not sure I'm buying the "blow open" theory.

Would you want 60psi seat pressure? I've seen engines make low power due to high boost and weak ass springs.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
^ no that's not enough but I'd still have to see boost bow the valve off the seat to believe it, plus that's static pressure, if it did happen (hold the valve open during it's intake cycle) we're talking static pressure (boost) with the valve already open you would never see that much boost directly on the valve itself, only after it closed. If the valve shut and ( and you went from flow to static )the pressure exceeded more than 16 then it should activate a pop off someplace in the system.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
^ no that's not enough but I'd still have to see boost bow the valve off the seat to believe it, plus that's static pressure, if it did happen (hold the valve open during it's intake cycle) we're talking static pressure (boost) with the valve already open you would never see that much boost directly on the valve itself, only after it closed.

It doesn't blow the valve off the seat but low pressures does slow its closing. there's a reason people run proper spring pressures.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
It doesn't blow the valve off the seat but low pressures does slow its closing. there's a reason people run proper spring pressures.

I'll buy that but in Nightmare's example I would think that the valve springs would have to absolutely turn to jello for boost to have much an effect on them.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'll buy that but in Nightmare's example I would think that the valve springs would have to absolutely turn to jello for boost to have much an effect on them.

You have 65 lbs of seat pressure. Run 15 lbs of boost and that seat pressure is now down to 50 lbs :uh oh:

2000 gt

Established Member
I went with PAC springs. On order now. What had happened is my gas pedal go caught on my carpet causing the car to over rev floating two valves and bending two valve stems. So I'm replacing the valves seats and springs. Just to beef it up a bit. Not doing cams or anything. The bottom end is built and it takes about 20 psi. So it's time to beef em up

Users who are viewing this thread