Valvetrain noise in rebuilt 4V... need advice

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Hey guys, so as some of you might know i recently had my cobra motor gone through top to bottom by a local reputable machine shop. Nice people and unfortunately while the engine runs fine and sounds amazing (exhaust wise) there is a loud ticking on cold starts that seems to go away once the engine reaches operating temperature.

it was essentially a stock rebuild with boss 302 rods, forged pistons and all ARP bottom end hardware with an aviator longblock and 99 cobra cams. the instructions were simple: check everything and replace what it needs. i cheaped out on nothing.

its taken me a while to get to where i'd say something because i wanted to make sure i got the fuel and coolant systems all sorted first. everything seems solid but the noise is still there on cold starts and goes away as it comes up to temp.

after a couple cups of coffee I'm going to call the builder to see what they want me to do.
I've put zero miles on it because the car just isn't ready yet. so here's what i think my options are and I wanted you's guys feedback on what you'd do.

1. drop the engine take it back they eat whatever is wrong and i eat the time and hassle of getting it back to them.
2. leave it alone, finish the car, and if its still a problem when the car is ready we deal with it then
3. partial refund to cover what sounds like a lifter that is out of spec + labor to fix it and they can be done with it and i pay a shop to fix it when i'm done with the car.
4. don't worry about it because ______________ reason.

one last thing to consider is the entire rebuilt longblock assembled was $2400 plus gaskets and arp hardware which seems to be about half the cost bigger shops charge that specialize in ford stuff.

so that's all the details. protips?

bigja01cobra

Established Member
First things first have a conversation with the builder and get their input. Stay friendly and do not put them in defensive mode. Most good shops will make it right regardless, though you got such a great deal on that long block build they probably do not have that much profit in it to begin with. That noise is not normal and before any runtime I would send them the video. If you run it and cause more damage with it knowingly making noise they may fight you on it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
First things first have a conversation with the builder and get their input. Stay friendly and do not put them in defensive mode. Most good shops will make it right regardless, though you got such a great deal on that long block build they probably do not have that much profit in it to begin with. That noise is not normal and before any runtime I would send them the video. If you run it and cause more damage with it knowingly making noise they may fight you on it.

this. If it's just a lifter or something probably easier to pull the valve cover with the motor in than yanking it again.

Users who are viewing this thread