Van's 13-6 Installed Today - Observations/2 Questions?

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I purchased the 13-6 Kit from Van @ Revan last week since he decided to have a sale.
Revan Racing Stage 13-6 JLT Carbon Fiber Intake, Throttle Body, Tune and Tuner - Revan Racing, Inc.

It showed up in a few days as promised and today I installed it. Install was simple for the most part, except for the JLT Air box. For the time being, I left it off the car. Anyway, after I installed the tune I took it for a spin. Well, the S/C 'whine' is noticeable now and sounds great when you get on it. As for power - yeah, it's got more! When stock, traction in 1st was 'iffy' - sometimes it would dig in and sometimes it would spin a little. Now, traction is g-o-n-e in 1st!:D As soon as you get on it anywhere in 1st, it just instantly blows the tires off as the tach shoots towards redline! Stuff it in 2nd and hang on! A few times it started to break traction in 2nd around ~70-80mph, but was managable for the post part. Once into 3rd, it just pulls like a freighttrain. You really need to choose your spots carefully as this car covers some serious ground in no time at all.

I stuck with the dual throttle body and the car idles and drives like stock, and the kit is otherwise not even noticeable until you mash the go pedal.

As for my 2 questions.
1) The JLT Air Box does not fit well. Once installed I shut the hood(very carefully) and the front side was pushing up about a 1/4". I didn't see a way to make it fit any better, so I removed it for now.

So, has anyone ever trimmed the lower part of it where it contacts the frame so that it sits in place better and clears the hood?

2) Traction/Tires. With the install of this kit, Traction is now a serious problem and some advice on which type of tires would be appreciated from those with experience. I'm thinking either Mickey Thompson's of Nitto DR's.
When I drive the car, I just don't go out and launch it repeatedly. I like to take it for a drive on backroads and highways. 45-65mph roads, just driving the car.

I've never had a set of MT's, but I hear they're not the best in turns, though traction is great. Never had a set of Nitto's either, but I figure they're not as good as MT's but may handle somewhat better, and last a little longer as well.

So, can anyone tell me their first-hand experiences with the MT's of Nitto's on the street? I'm leaning towards the Nitto's, but if they aren't going to make much difference over the stock tires, I may just take my chances with the MT's.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The JLT you got, what size? im surprised to hear a fitment issue, maybe you have something mixed up? if not just call Van, he will be glad to help. glad to hear everything else is working well

and yea, MT for drag, but Nittos but allow for more overall driving. Honestly, just get drag radials for the occasional trip and slap them on, keep regular good tires for street driving

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
The JLT you got, what size? im surprised to hear a fitment issue, maybe you have something mixed up? if not just call Van, he will be glad to help. glad to hear everything else is working well

and yea, MT for drag, but Nittos but allow for more overall driving. Honestly, just get drag radials for the occasional trip and slap them on, keep regular good tires for street driving

I've got this one, 127mm.
2010-2013 Shelby GT500 JLT Carbon Fiber Big Air Intake Kit - Revan Racing, Inc.

The fit is close for sure, but I saw no way to get it to sit lower as it was already contacting the frame at the lowest point.

I really don't want to get an extra set of wheels/tires if it can be avoided. I guess I just want a tire that will dig-in better on the street AND be able to take a turn better than the MT's(not really high speeds, but not sloppy either). Do the Nitto's do that?

Zeroescence

Established Member
I've got this one, 127mm.
2010-2013 Shelby GT500 JLT Carbon Fiber Big Air Intake Kit - Revan Racing, Inc.

The fit is close for sure, but I saw no way to get it to sit lower as it was already contacting the frame at the lowest point.

I really don't want to get an extra set of wheels/tires if it can be avoided. I guess I just want a tire that will dig-in better on the street AND be able to take a turn better than the MT's(not really high speeds, but not sloppy either). Do the Nitto's do that?

I would look into some Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

topless10th

Established Member
i know what you mean about the heat shield. make sure it is sitting evenly on the frame rail and the grill inlet is attached without tension, the insulation under your hood should be the only obstruction at that point, and a tight fit is desirable. this insulation should "break in" and allow your hood to close flat after a day or two, mine did.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I had the MT 305/35-19's on my 2012 and they were great traction wise I ran 11.3x@124 with them and the side wall is so small it is very stiff and at normal tire pressure they feel the same as the stock tires did, I had a set of nitro NT05R 315/35-20,s on my 2013 and they were about the same as the MT's. Hope that helps.

Tucker

Double check the shield is sitting as low as it can in the car. It should sit on the frame rail.
It is designed to seal to the hood and closing should be a little harder, but it should not hold the hood up.
Like another member posted, let the new gasket settle to the new hood insulator and it should be fine in a day or so. If not, give us a call.

Thanks
Jay

dustin88lx

Established Member
The smaller rectangular piece that sits down on to the frame seems a little long when I closed my hood it was definately holding my hood up....so in the end I simply cut 1/2" off the bottom of the air box and fitment was perfect, allowing the hood to close, and still maintain the seal. Hope that helps.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I had the MT 305/35-19's on my 2012 and they were great traction wise I ran 11.3x@124 with them and the side wall is so small it is very stiff and at normal tire pressure they feel the same as the stock tires did, I had a set of nitro NT05R 315/35-20,s on my 2013 and they were about the same as the MT's. Hope that helps.

It definitely does help - Thanks!:beer:

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
The smaller rectangular piece that sits down on to the frame seems a little long when I closed my hood it was definately holding my hood up....so in the end I simply cut 1/2" off the bottom of the air box and fitment was perfect, allowing the hood to close, and still maintain the seal. Hope that helps.

This is what I thought of yesterday during the install and will do next weekend!

Just wanted to be sure it wasn't only my kit.

Thanks!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread