VASCAR Ticket in Florida

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I was on I-4 between lakeland and orlando. On my way to lakeland to pick up a part for my BMW I saw a huge speed trap on the other side of I-4 plus my radar detector alerted me to some Ka band activity. It was 33.8xx which was unusual for FHP. So anyway I went to the dealer to get my part and on my way back I was moving pretty good with a few other cars. I knew the speed trap was up ahead and my dad reminded me in the passenger seat and I said yup I know. So I went under the bridge and out the other side at 70 MPH which was the speed limit. All the troopers were still there so I was like, damn good save. I then noticed a motorcycle FHP cop coming up behind me and he then flipped on the lights. My dad and I were like lol wut? No radar or laser so we were just like what the hell? So I pull over and the cop comes up to me and says that they caught me by aircraft at 89 in a 70. It sucks its my first ticket I'm 19 lol. I just didn't like that aircraft stuff. Ive been driving with a radar detector for years. With it and vigilance, its always been pretty hard for me to get surprised. This airplane thing was so surprising. But I guess if the detector saved me all those times all that time I guess one ticket isn't too bad. I'm not really sure if I should take it to court or just do the traffic school, remove the points, and pay the $254. What do you guys think? Merely sharing a story not complaining or anything.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
ive been on that part of I-4 hundreds of times and rarely saw any cops. it was like the autobahn but that was many years ago. i know that sign that says speed checked by helicopter.

only thing i can think is that it clocked another car if you were only traveling at 70. im sure most will disagree but that has happened.

but i went to school to get my points removed.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
FHP loves the airplanes man. It's visually done so they officer in the plane starts it when you cross one line and stops it when you cross another and bam there's your speed.

If you were really speeding take it like a man and do the class so the points don't hit you and move on.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
ive been on that part of I-4 hundreds of times and rarely saw any cops. it was like the autobahn but that was many years ago. i know that sign that says speed checked by helicopter.

only thing i can think is that it clocked another car if you were only traveling at 70.
im sure most will disagree but that has happened.

but i went to school to get my points removed.

There is no "clocking" using VASCAR. VASCAR is a pre-measured distance over which time is used to determine speed travelling through that distance.

A VASCAR operator up in the aircraft visually looks for a vehicle which appears to be speeding PRIOR to the set distance. The operator will then use the VASCAR to time that vehicle passing through that distance. The VASCAR unit then gives an AVERAGE speed through the distance. Then, the operator radios a ground unit with the speed, time of offense, and vehicle description. That operator MUST keep a visual on the violator's vehicle until a ground unit can get directly behind, at which time VASCAR operator will give a confirmation.

MOST VASCAR courses are 1/2 mile in length, and set up into 2 - 1/4 mile courses. An example of how VASCAR works would be the VASCAR unit itself is pre-programmed to work on a particular course distance, in my example, 1/4 mile. Being preset, the VASCAR operator CANNOT change it. From the air, the operator starts the timer as the vehicle crosses Point A or Point B. He then stops the timer at Point B or Point C, depending on where he started the timer. The VASCAR unit then gives him a readout of the vehicle's speed.

So, if Car A crosses Point A and Point B with a time of 15 seconds, and the distance is 1/4 mile, then VASCAR will show a speed for Vehicle A as 60 MPH.

Please notice I used the term AVERAGE speed. If you slow down or speed up in that 1/4 mile, then the VASCAR will still give and AVERAGE of your speed during that distance, so in many cases, you could've been going faster that you were cited for.

VASCAR gives off NO frequencies, beams, lights, etc....to give any type of warning device a heads up. It is all an internal computer device, and typically the course can be set up several miles PRIOR to seeing a bunch of LEO's sitting on the roadside waiting.

OP, you got caught, and you've got to pay to play.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
There is a lot of speed control by aircraft here in California. Mainly on the 5 and 15 out of town.

I monitor them by radio. Which must be transmitted in the clear due to FAA rules. Their aircraft to squad car radio can be digital and encoded but not the aircraft freqs. By watching the RF level it's very easy to know when they are within ten miles of you.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
Yeah I understand how it works I know there is no sort of detection and it's just a simple stop watch. I guess the average was good since we were probably going much faster ;). I slammed the brakes way before the cops were lol.

Yellazxr

Established Member
Yeah I understand how it works I know there is no sort of detection and it's just a simple stop watch. I guess the average was good since we were probably going much faster ;). I slammed the brakes way before the cops were lol.

I think your best bet since its your first ticket would be to just elect to take traffic course, it will take you just a few hours online and you won't get any points on your license.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
There is no "clocking" using VASCAR. VASCAR is a pre-measured distance over which time is used to determine speed travelling through that distance.

A VASCAR operator up in the aircraft visually looks for a vehicle which appears to be speeding PRIOR to the set distance. The operator will then use the VASCAR to time that vehicle passing through that distance. The VASCAR unit then gives an AVERAGE speed through the distance. Then, the operator radios a ground unit with the speed, time of offense, and vehicle description. That operator MUST keep a visual on the violator's vehicle until a ground unit can get directly behind, at which time VASCAR operator will give a confirmation.

MOST VASCAR courses are 1/2 mile in length, and set up into 2 - 1/4 mile courses. An example of how VASCAR works would be the VASCAR unit itself is pre-programmed to work on a particular course distance, in my example, 1/4 mile. Being preset, the VASCAR operator CANNOT change it. From the air, the operator starts the timer as the vehicle crosses Point A or Point B. He then stops the timer at Point B or Point C, depending on where he started the timer. The VASCAR unit then gives him a readout of the vehicle's speed.

So, if Car A crosses Point A and Point B with a time of 15 seconds, and the distance is 1/4 mile, then VASCAR will show a speed for Vehicle A as 60 MPH.

Please notice I used the term AVERAGE speed. If you slow down or speed up in that 1/4 mile, then the VASCAR will still give and AVERAGE of your speed during that distance, so in many cases, you could've been going faster that you were cited for.

VASCAR gives off NO frequencies, beams, lights, etc....to give any type of warning device a heads up. It is all an internal computer device, and typically the course can be set up several miles PRIOR to seeing a bunch of LEO's sitting on the roadside waiting.

OP, you got caught, and you've got to pay to play.

i was ticketed using this technique years ago though not by an air unit. what i meant to say was if he wasnt speeding its possible an error(though not likely) occurred.

i was indeed going faster than what i was ticketed for lol.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
In my state there are some rules applied to vascar. At your speed they can't ticket you for less than 10mph over. This may indicate some more likely margin of error. Though I suspect it may exist to keep non-state police from ticketing excessively.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
If this is your first offense, go to traffic school. You still have to pay small amount of fees for it, but it's well worth it and no points on your license. However, after completion, you must NOT get another moving violation citation otherwise it'll go on your record and you'll have to pay the full amount owed for the ticket. Good luck!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
If this is your first offense, go to traffic school. You still have to pay small amount of fees for it, but it's well worth it and no points on your license. However, after completion, you must NOT get another moving violation citation otherwise it'll go on your record and you'll have to pay the full amount owed for the ticket. Good luck!

not quite. You can only go so many times in a certain time frame. And we no longer get a discount for electing to take the school.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
not quite. You can only go so many times in a certain time frame. And we no longer get a discount for electing to take the school.

Yeah I ended up doing the school online. You can do it once in a 12 month period and no more than 5 times in a life time. And no discount. I paid $266 + $15 for traffic school. Lol I was only cited for 89. Such a slow speed. I think its funny how you tell some people, "oh yeah I was doing 85 earlier" and they are like OMG that is so FAST!!!! My favorite is news reporters say when they are on top of a police chase and when the suspect goes about 100 they say "OMG HES DOING 100 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Like its the fastest speed lol. Thats like normal speed.

since64

Black and Gold
Established Member
Dude, a 100MPH is no joke. I don't want to be in the car next to you when you have a blowout or have to swerve to avoid slower traffic. I've been known for a heavy foot in my day, but never to the amount that I put other people in danger. At 19 I thought I would live forever, at 49 I know better.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Dude, a 100MPH is no joke. I don't want to be in the car next to you when you have a blowout or have to swerve to avoid slower traffic. I've been known for a heavy foot in my day, but never to the amount that I put other people in danger. At 19 I thought I would live forever, at 49 I know better.

come drive on I4 at the speed limit and you'll get shot at.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member

I'm guessing it's different in every state, but I could be wrong. When I had my first ticket, I opted to go to traffic school and I was told before the class date that I had to remain free of ANY MOVING VIOLATIONS for 1 year after the initial course otherwise my ticket would show up on my DL record and I would have to more than likely pay the original ticket amount. I'm not sure I would have qualified If I had prior citations because they did a quick run on my DL and upon seeing I had a clean record, I was given the OK to take the course.

Users who are viewing this thread