Vehicle Dilemma

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Looking for ideas here. I've been shopping for a new truck to replace my '97 F-150, however it does what I need it to do well enough and the only reason I have been shopping is really just wanting something newer rather than me needing to replace it.

So on to my issue: I enjoy my Boss. But I don't necessarily love it, and I am afraid that with the S550 coming out I am going to take a big hit in depreciation. With that in mind I am considering keeping my beater truck and selling the Boss before it takes a hit and picking something else up.

What would SVTP'ers do?

1: Keep the Boss, get rid of '97 F-150 for a new pick-up OR
2: Keep beater truck, sell Boss and replace with new M4/C7/used 997TT or whatever you recommend?

08mojo

Established Member
I'd keep the beater and pick up a new "toy." Having a beater truck is great compared to a shiny new truck. It's nice being able to throw stuff into the truck without worrying about scratching it, etc...

Sounds like you have some pretty good choices lined up to replace the boss--go for it!

flS/R

Established Member
I'd keep the beater and pick up a new "toy." Having a beater truck is great compared to a shiny new truck. It's nice being able to throw stuff into the truck without worrying about scratching it, etc...

Sounds like you have some pretty good choices lined up to replace the boss--go for it!

x2

the boss will always be cool but a new mustang could be even cooler

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I would replace which ever you will get more use/enjoyment out of. If the truck is used sparsely then let it be for now.

Obligatory jackass reply: Sell the F150 and get a GT500 as it has far better highway merging speed than any other truck you would be considering.

kaz109

Established Member
Only think I would consider selling the boss for is a 997.2 GT3. I am not a fan of the new M4 or C7 and have a serious love affair with the boss. Do you actually track your car? Idk if it were me and I already had a boss it would take a lot for me to sell it/trade it in. More than what BMW or GM had to offer ....

Para81

Established Member
No way in hell i'd let go of my Boss for a C7

Same goes with a 997TT, would I add a 997TT ? Yes definitely (2007-09 only)

BMW wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Only think I would consider selling the boss for is a 997.2 GT3. I am not a fan of the new M4 or C7 and have a serious love affair with the boss. Do you actually track your car? Idk if it were me and I already had a boss it would take a lot for me to sell it/trade it in. More than what BMW or GM had to offer ....

GT3 is certainly a dream car that I will own at some point but I am also looking at buying a house in the next 2-3 years so unless they take a huge hit in the next 6 months one is out of the question. Unless I went 996 instead of 997...

Screw-rice: yeah, I'm pretty sure approximately 500 BHP isn't enough merging power :burnout: I read that thread and still can't believe that guy thinks the CTS-V is a slow car.

Kaz: 997.2 is definitely out of the budget for the next couple years, and though I have not tracked the Boss yet it will see a lot of road course time next summer if I still have it

A little more information for those that asked: pickup will get about 1300 miles a month at high cruising speed (75+) and will be used any other time I don't want to drive the Boss (weather <40*, snow/rain).

Pretty much I guess the question boils down to whether SVTP'ers would like to buy a fully loaded new truck that sees more usage or keep the truck that gets 12 mpg on the fast, long hauls and pick up a toy for under ~80k that will get about 10k miles a year put on it

So far it looks like the Boss is winning; I'm just worried about the depreciation with the S550 coming out. Right now I think I could find a buyer at 42k for my Boss - in 6 months no one knows where it will be at but I know for sure it won't be higher!

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
So on to my issue: I enjoy my Boss. But I don't necessarily love it, and I am afraid that with the S550 coming out I am going to take a big hit in depreciation. With that in mind I am considering keeping my beater truck and selling the Boss before it takes a hit and picking something else up.

I'm in a similar situation, I've got a '01 tacoma and '12 GTCS and I've been toying with the idea of selling my gt now before the new body style makes me take a larger hit in depreciation.

I bought the tacoma specifically as a vehicle not to worry about so it isn't going anywhere and I still enjoy driving my gt.

If the extra depreciation by waiting until after the new body style is out is only a few thousand that is worth it to be able to keep having the toy in my garage to play with on weekends, if it is closer to 8k extra then maybe I should sell it now.

I do have ideas of what to replace it with (GTR, R8, z06)but I'm not ready to pull the trigger for another year which means if I sell now I might be without a toy for a year!

I'd definitely keep your truck though, having a vehicle you don't worry about is great.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Right now I think I could find a buyer at 42k for my Boss - in 6 months no one knows where it will be at but I know for sure it won't be higher!

Wow, you think? I haven't really paid attention to the boss market are they really retaining value that well? What mileage does it have?

KILRSVT

Established Member
If you feel the bug for a new toy then sell the boss I get the Porsche I wouldn't even consider the M4 or the C7 ... Personally I would keep the boss and upgrade to a used 05-09 F-150 it's a truck any way it's gonna get beat up. I don't think the boss will drop in value it's a sought after very low production car.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
A little more information for those that asked: pickup will get about 1300 miles a month at high cruising speed (75+) and will be used any other time I don't want to drive the Boss (weather <40*, snow/rain).

Pretty much I guess the question boils down to whether SVTP'ers would like to buy a fully loaded new truck that sees more usage or keep the truck that gets 12 mpg on the fast, long hauls and pick up a toy for under ~80k that will get about 10k miles a year put on it

So far it looks like the Boss is winning; I'm just worried about the depreciation with the S550 coming out. Right now I think I could find a buyer at 42k for my Boss - in 6 months no one knows where it will be at but I know for sure it won't be higher!

Well that info helps. I honestly spend a lot of time in my truck and because of this I prefer to be comfortable. I had a 95 F150 single cab and it was fine, but was happy to go to a newer, more comfortable truck (7.3 crew cab). I'm now shopping for an even newer truck with a few extra options I am wanting.

I'm in kind of a similar issue, and am actually looking at adjusting my plan. Instead of spending a ton on a new truck, I can go a few years older. Will have all the same options I want, just not the latest redesign. This will account to about $15k I save that I can put towards a toy. I'll have a much nicer and newer truck and be able to still look at a toy. Truck will be used for my business so it has to take priority.

My old foxbody taught me I will never own anything that is miserable to drive on any trip over 30 minutes. Must be getting old, since I can't stand being stuck in rattle traps. Just something to think about.

Also I am surprised that you can still get that much for your Boss, I've seen a few for $38k. Thought they were starting to depreciate after a pretty good run. The new S550 is a crap shoot if it will have any impact on the Boss value, so you have a 50/50 at waiting.

Back on the truck, I am guessing you aren't needing to do a lot of pulling or anything to justify a diesel. So I would consider a newer F150, I think even a used 5.0 F150 can be had for a good price. My brother had an 09 Lariat F150 (5.4) and it was a really nice truck as well.

kaz109

Established Member
Keep the boss and get to the track, most ppl don't even take it to the place it was designed to be at. If not that I have a list of other cars I would look info but my list is for my next dd so its not just performance oriented . I am getting only so I prefer more luxury and comfort features now lol..but this would be your toy so you can go more towards the performance side of things . If you just want something different I would look into a Noble M400, 981 cayman s , GTR, 997 TT ( as you already listed) ...idk that is all I got off the top of my head. Your budget about 80k give or take?

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Keep the boss and get to the track, most ppl don't even take it to the place it was designed to be at. If not that I have a list of other cars I would look info but my list is for my next dd so its not just performance oriented . I am getting only so I prefer more luxury and comfort features now lol..but this would be your toy so you can go more towards the performance side of things . If you just want something different I would look into a Noble M400, 981 cayman s , GTR, 997 TT ( as you already listed) ...idk that is all I got off the top of my head. Your budget about 80k give or take?

Wouldn't mind some luxury/comfort. I'm a big fan of the C63 and V10 M5. What's on your list?

I said 80k above but I would have to fall in love with a vehicle to go that high. I think I'd really rather stay under 65-70

Gravik

Established Member
Keep beater truck. I love having a beater truck that I can throw whatever in the back and not worry about scratching the paint.

or buy a different beater truck if your current one is boring you.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Go with what ya feel OP. If it were me I'd keep the boss and get a EB F150:banana:

kaz109

Established Member
Wouldn't mind some luxury/comfort. I'm a big fan of the C63 and V10 M5. What's on your list?

I said 80k above but I would have to fall in love with a vehicle to go that high. I think I'd really rather stay under 65-70

For the record if I was in your shoes and already had a Boss I would keep it...But my list of cars for my next dd is

F type coupe R
GTR nismo
R8 5.2
Maserati GT
Aston martin vantage
C63 black series
991 turbo

For me performance isn't the end all be all as I am more about balance and rarity so most of the cars on my list has a low bang for bucket value but I am ok with that. You are looking for a toy so if you got rid of the boss ( which I wouldn't) I would look at a M400. I repeat in no way would I trade a boss for a BMW,GM or even Benz...But that is just my opinion :beer:

KILRSVT

Established Member
V10 M5 (E60) will not be faster than your boss if anything a hair faster. The new F10 M5 however is a beast so for 95k you can get one.

Road Rage

Snake Bite
Established Member
I dont see the 15 mustang causing it to drop in value that bad, if it were me i would keep the boss and sell the f150 and buy a more comfortable daily driver that gets better gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread