Verizon 5MB home internet

96dreamer

Established Member
Does anyone have the Verizon 5g home internet? I was just notified it was available in my area. $25/month vs the $90ish through charter seems to good to be true. I get 3-400 Mbps through 5g on my phone through Verizon currently which is ~4x faster than my current Charter internet.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
5MB? Did you mean 5G?

The issue with wireless internet is latency. Could be good, could be great or could be horrible. Also, if nearby antenna is down or congested, your speeds will take a hit.

I rely more on consistency with good speeds vs the opposite. Also, knowing wireless service providers, they will jack your price with time and put you on a data cap.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's $25/mo with Auto Pay & select 5G mobile plans.

$60/mo without Auto Pay & without combined home internet + select 5G mobile plans.

OX1

Established Member
Does anyone have the Verizon 5g home internet? I was just notified it was available in my area. $25/month vs the $90ish through charter seems to good to be true. I get 3-400 Mbps through 5g on my phone through Verizon currently which is ~4x faster than my current Charter internet.

I would take the deal just to put your cable company on notice, and they might offer you a deal to come back (if you wanted). Just the idea I would be able to play one company against the other, would be sweet (finally). The newer houses on the end of my street went underground, so no way I will ever get Fios. Been waiting for 5G net, so I an throw that in my "cable" (internet, no cable anymore) company's face.

96dreamer

Established Member
So as @BlueSnake01 pointed out it is 5g not 5mb lol. I was looking at speeds while making this so mb was on my mind I guess.

We went up to Verizon because as it turned out my wife and I both had free upgrades on our phones. Left with two new phones and the new Verizon modem. It is indeed $25/ month(with Verizon mobile plan) with a two year guarantee on price. That's nearly 25% of what we were paying so if it goes up marginally I'm not going to sweat it. For whatever reason we had a free 12 month home internet credit on our account too so we won't pay anything for the first year.

Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet but I'll report back on speeds and reliability.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
So as @BlueSnake01 pointed out it is 5g not 5mb lol. I was looking at speeds while making this so mb was on my mind I guess.

We went up to Verizon because as it turned out my wife and I both had free upgrades on our phones. Left with two new phones and the new Verizon modem. It is indeed $25/ month(with Verizon mobile plan) with a two year guarantee on price. That's nearly 25% of what we were paying so if it goes up marginally I'm not going to sweat it. For whatever reason we had a free 12 month home internet credit on our account too so we won't pay anything for the first year.

Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet but I'll report back on speeds and reliability.

Thanks. Also interested to see if your current company tries to lower their price once you let them know you're bailing. Sub'n for report.

robvas

Established Member
I had it when I upgraded my iPhone a short while back. Sounded like it was worth a shot being only $25 a month. Sales lady told me she gets gigabit speed at home with it. Suuure

It worked but it wasn't that fast. 30-60mb tops

Would be fine for backup or if I lived alone, but my wife works from home sometimes, j work from home most of the time (in IT so I need something fast), we have two kids watching Blippi and Cocomelon half the time, we stream...

I'll keep my Spectrum even though it's $79.99 at least I get 150mb

Annoying thing was I couldn't return it at the store I had to send to back to Verizon. So they emailed me like five times telling me I didn't send it back even though I did, had tracking numbers, they removed discounts from my bill, tried charging me for it, took way more phone calls and my blood pressure rising more than it was worth. Just like when I traded in my old phone.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I live way out in the sticks, so Satellite Internet is my only option. We pay $70 a month for a 30 MB connection. I've been thinking of getting on the Star Link waiting list.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I've been running the LTE version of that for a year and a half (5G not available in my area). I get 3 bars reception and average 45mbps downloads and 6-10 uploads. No streaming issues during movies but occasional takes a few seconds to start. Once started there's no issues though. My son also games with it and only occasional has lag issues.

Heck of a deal, and the only other thing available in my area is satellite.

I do unplug it and let it reset about once a month, as it seems to want to slow down a bit over time.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Thanks. Also interested to see if your current company tries to lower their price once you let them know you're bailing. Sub'n for report.
Oh they most definitely will!

Just an FYI, the sales department dont offer the big discounts, the retention dept. does. They're the dept that you get transfer to if you threaten to leave them.

I left spectrum for frontier, paying $75? for 1Gbps upload and download. $20 cheaper and double speeds. Spectrum reps werent budging on lowering the price but the retention dept. was willing to match the speed and price right off the bat.

Last edited:

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I had it when I upgraded my iPhone a short while back. Sounded like it was worth a shot being only $25 a month. Sales lady told me she gets gigabit speed at home with it. Suuure

It worked but it wasn't that fast. 30-60mb tops

Would be fine for backup or if I lived alone, but my wife works from home sometimes, j work from home most of the time (in IT so I need something fast), we have two kids watching Blippi and Cocomelon half the time, we stream...

I'll keep my Spectrum even though it's $79.99 at least I get 150mb

Annoying thing was I couldn't return it at the store I had to send to back to Verizon. So they emailed me like five times telling me I didn't send it back even though I did, had tracking numbers, they removed discounts from my bill, tried charging me for it, took way more phone calls and my blood pressure rising more than it was worth. Just like when I traded in my old phone.
You should call the retention department at spectrum and get your prices lowered. I switched to them last year and got the 1gig service for $60/month with a two year lock.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Oh they most definitely will!

Just an FYI, the sales department dont offer the big discounts, the retention dept. does. They're the dept that you get transfer to if you threaten to leave them.

I left spectrum for frontier, paying $75? for 1Gbps upload and download. $20 cheaper and double speeds. Spectrum reps werent budging on lowering the price but the retention dept. was willing to match the speed and price right off the bat.

Oh jeez, that's exactly like directv.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I live way out in the sticks, so Satellite Internet is my only option. We pay $70 a month for a 30 MB connection. I've been thinking of getting on the Star Link waiting list.
I'd be interesting in hearing how well or poorly it functions. How's the ping, data cap, etc..,?

Years ago I had verizon and even living in the suburbs it was awful. The stories I would tell would baffle anyone as it sounded so outrageous but was all true.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would take the deal just to put your cable company on notice, and they might offer you a deal to come back (if you wanted). Just the idea I would be able to play one company against the other, would be sweet (finally). The newer houses on the end of my street went underground, so no way I will ever get Fios. Been waiting for 5G net, so I an throw that in my "cable" (internet, no cable anymore) company's face.
I've been trying to get FIOS for a couple of years now. Saw Verizon most of last summer in town and in my neighborhood (but a block away from us). The majority of my area has overhead wires, and my immediate neighborhood (newer homes) has underground cables, so because we're underground it is doubtful we'll ever see FIOS here. Sucks!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
What they're offering in my area now. To think I grew up with 56k lol
Screenshot_20230414_162437_Samsung Internet.jpg

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Had FIOS when I lived in the city. Fast! Totally worth it.

Now I just use my unlimited data ATT 4G LTE on my phone / as a hotspot. I get ridiculous download speeds. Local tower is only 1/2 mile away. No home wifi needed. 40mb/s upload.
Screenshot_20230414-220722_Chrome.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread