Very annoying cricket type noise

SLO_SHO

Established Member
Good morning, on my one cobra I'm experiencing a high pitched cricket type noise only under load, I cannot replicate the noise while in neutral/stand still. I also have a TOB chirp when pressing slightly down on the clutch pedal however I don't feel that they are related as it's a totally different tone in noise. What are some other things I should check for? Unfortunately it's very hard to diagnose as it's only heard while driving. I've tried to get a video but with no avail as you can only really hear the exhaust. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Pull the belts and spin the pullies by hand. Maybe a bearing or two is starting to go out.

MG0h3

Established Member
So typically a belt “chirp” is going to be a dry (old, weathered, or may just appear dull vs sharp black) belt or idler bearings.

Generally, load won’t really change that. If a belt issue arises under load, it’s usually going to be a squeal.

None of these are absolute, but typical for sure.

You can simulate load by snapping the throttle. Does this manually at the throttle body while you’re watching/listening.

Always perform a visual of both belts first.

A dry belt can almost always be diagnosed and temporarily cured by dribbling some water on the belt(s) while running. This is usually done when there is a constant chirp at idle though.

I’m honestly leaning towards this all being your TOB, which sounds like you have an air gap between the TOB and pressure plate fingers.

This will require a visual inspection through the inspection cover on the transmission.

I know you think they are unrelated, but get the car under load so the noise presents itself, and start applying pressure on the pedal. Be curious if the noise changes. The PP fingers do move back slightly under load and this could be why you get the noise.

I suspect that when the TOB has to catch up to the engine RPM it starts chirping and eventually goes away as it catches up, bleeds off heat, and has extra pressure when you fully depress the pedal.

I’d really start with a visual though and adjust the clutch fork free play.

Long shot here cause most cars are modified, but if you still have the factory quadrant, lift up on the clutch pedal. Do it not running and maybe you’ll get some clicks.

Or do you know if you do/do not have a firewall adjuster for the clutch cable? It would be under the hood by the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LS WUT

Established Member
I second throw out bearing. Replaced them each time I replaced clutches, however the ones I took to the track are the ones that made them mostly, could also be the idler pulleys. The bearings tend to get chirpy after going out. Doing a visual inspection while the cars running under the hood play with the throttle.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Rear wheel bearing loose may cause noise under load.
Chirp from brake pad during movement,,

Just another thought for noise being able to hear while driving

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a anti rattle clip on my driver's front caliper make a cricket/chirp while driving.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Best way to diagnose wheel breading noise to to load/unload it.

Doing a slalom while the noise is occurring is the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LS WUT

Established Member
Killing me with anticipation, I’m trying to diagnose this. This is like Blueballs for me. How can you join a forum, ask a question and not return since. Haha

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a anti rattle clip on my driver's front caliper make a cricket/chirp while driving.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
My anti rattle clips made tin can noises

I’m going to add another to a bearing in the driveline

Users who are viewing this thread